News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Alps on September 04, 2014, 11:58:21 PM
22E to GSP S, you just use the U-turn onto 22W.
That's it for the freeway to Jersey-freeway movements.

The locals don't go this route, because its too far out of the way. There is a shortcut.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 05, 2014, 05:15:42 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 04, 2014, 11:58:21 PM
22E to GSP S, you just use the U-turn onto 22W.
That's it for the freeway to Jersey-freeway movements.

The locals don't go this route, because its too far out of the way. There is a shortcut.
Just working the interchange itself, not shortcuts farther from it. There are others, of course.

storm2k

I've seen contractors putting up the supports for new overhead gantries between the 129 onramp and 131. Looks like we'll see some new MUTCD signs in the very near future.

roadman65

I am anxious to see the new Exit 129 southbound signs with "Camden" as a control rather than "Del. Mem. Br." as it always was since the mid 80's.

Also is "Shore Points" still being kept or is the NJTA going to use "Toms River" as the selected control city south of Woodbridge is that?  Already the new Exit 89 signs have the Ocean County Seat as control point on the pull through signs there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Quote from: roadman65 on September 13, 2014, 10:54:23 AM
I am anxious to see the new Exit 129 southbound signs with "Camden" as a control rather than "Del. Mem. Br." as it has been since the mid 80's.

Maybe it's just me, but I think Bellmawr might work better then Camden heading south on the Turnpike. There are only a select few ways you can actually get to Camden from the Turnpike - Exit 4 (NJ 73) to NJ 38 West, or Exit 3 - (NJ 168) north into Camden.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

The problem is that Bellmawr is not used on any exit signs. 

Yeah, it would work, but Exit 3 is now signed "Camden- Atlantic City Expressway"  It used to be "Camden- Woodbury" up until the NJTA updated its signs recently.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

The problem is also that most Turnpike travelers have never heard of Bellmawr, very few of the remainder are going there and potential confusion with Belmar along the shore.  Camden or Del. Mem. Br. are about the only reasonable controls.  Toms River is OK along the GSP, but Shore Points is a better description.  I do like the Toms River pull through at 89, but more so because I live close by and it's more like rooting for the home team.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 13, 2014, 12:31:46 PM
The problem is also that most Turnpike travelers have never heard of Bellmawr, very few of the remainder are going there and potential confusion with Belmar along the shore.  Camden or Del. Mem. Br. are about the only reasonable controls.  Toms River is OK along the GSP, but Shore Points is a better description.  I do like the Toms River pull through at 89, but more so because I live close by and it's more like rooting for the home team.

Bellmawr?  What's that?  I grew up in New Jersey and Bellmawr is meaningless to me.  Sounds like the next Brewster, NY, as control cities go.

Del Mem Br might be weird but it's where the Turnpike goes.  Camden is way off the Turnpike; I'd use "Wilmington, DE" if a control city well off the road is acceptable.  The best reason I could see justifying signing Camden is to promote Camden, which, while clearly a New Jersey state goal to a fault, shouldn't be the motivation for a control city.  If it's going to be Camden, it should instead be Philadelphia.  78 East is signed primarily for New York, not Jersey City.

roadman65

Baltimore might work even better.  It has been suggested that it is a better control than Wilmington on past threads by some users here. Given the NJ Turnpike has no real cities directly along this path I think Baltimore should really be.

However, I have no real quarrel with Trenton, Camden, or even Wilmington as they are points served indirectly by the NJT like some  of us here do.  I only am stating that perfectly Baltimore, even from the GSP hundreds of miles away, is a great choice over all of them.

Sheryl Crowe

J Route Z

Driving on the Parkway the other day, several exit signs are being replaced, north of exit 129. I wonder if they will eventually replace the ones south of this. The old ones have the arrow next to the number, as opposed to beneath it. I like the new ones they put up better, where they are easier to see and not as cramped. Also the new ones have better wooden posts and brackets supporting them from the back, instead of just nailing them in directly into the post. I also noticed a lot of overhead signs being replaced too.

roadman65

I wish I can answer this one for you better, but I have not lived in NJ for almost a quarter of a century.  From what I hear on here it seems that NJTA is going MUTCD.

IMO about the wooden signs, those are nice and always gave the Parkway its own identity, but from what you say about the new supports behind the sign, maybe it might be because Sandy wakened engineers up to the possibility that another storm like that one could take out those.  I really do not know, but its possible.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 13, 2014, 01:24:00 PM

Bellmawr?  What's that?  I grew up in New Jersey and Bellmawr is meaningless to me.  Sounds like the next Brewster, NY, as control cities go.

Del Mem Br might be weird but it's where the Turnpike goes.  Camden is way off the Turnpike; I'd use "Wilmington, DE" if a control city well off the road is acceptable.  The best reason I could see justifying signing Camden is to promote Camden, which, while clearly a New Jersey state goal to a fault, shouldn't be the motivation for a control city.  If it's going to be Camden, it should instead be Philadelphia.  78 East is signed primarily for New York, not Jersey City.

Being that the State Aquarium is in Camden, among with other Waterfront attractions I can see why they signed Camden for the Turnpike, but I'd have a feeling most Aquarium users would take either 295 or they are coming from Philadelphia where they can take 676 from the get-go instead of the Turnpike. The pullthrough signs are new though for the Turnpike Authority so signing Camden when the Turnpike goes into the Camden area isn't the worst thing I guess. Unlike Trenton, there's really nothing to do in Camden but go to the Waterfront, because most of the city isn't exactly a bustling place to begin with.

Also, the Turnpike will have Trenton as a control city, and it doesn't go anywhere near Trenton, but it does provide access to I-195 which will take you directly to Trenton should you follow it all the way to the western terminus at NJ 29 and I-295. In the case of Camden, you can take 168 all the way up (albeit you will go through some sketchy areas) and if you kept staying the same road you would reach Camden.

Quote from: roadman65 on September 13, 2014, 01:37:01 PM
I wish I can answer this one for you better, but I have not lived in NJ for almost a quarter of a century.  From what I hear on here it seems that NJTA is going MUTCD.

Yes, that is true. The FHWA pretty much forced them to, but I hope they continue using some of their signing practices on the MUTCD-spec signs.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

I myself always liked the GSP wooden posts along with the rusted gantries.  I am only disappointed that they were indeed forced to abandon the original exit gore signs with the arrow inside a circle on the top right corners for right side exits and top left for left side exits.  That was neat back in the 70's to see them signs.

Sheryl Crowe

ARMOURERERIC

J Route Z

Driving along the parkway yesterday, they still have the old exit signs north of exit 142 at gore points such as these: http://goo.gl/maps/osc8d Hopefully they will move north and replace the remaining ones. That arrow should not be next to the word 'exit'. The new ones are much better and clearer.

Also some exit ramps such as the one in the link above, lack advisory speed signs.

storm2k

Quote from: J Route Z on September 15, 2014, 11:44:22 AM
Driving along the parkway yesterday, they still have the old exit signs north of exit 142 at gore points such as these: http://goo.gl/maps/osc8d Hopefully they will move north and replace the remaining ones. That arrow should not be next to the word 'exit'. The new ones are much better and clearer.

I disagree. I think the old signs were nice and had a bit of charm. I'm pretty sure they'll be replaced eventually, though. Right now the NJTA is focusing on the "free" section of the Parkway between 129 and 141, although they did replace a couple of signs for 144 going SB when they put up one of the new VMS gantries.

J Route Z

Quote from: storm2k on September 15, 2014, 12:08:51 PM
Quote from: J Route Z on September 15, 2014, 11:44:22 AM

I disagree. I think the old signs were nice and had a bit of charm. I'm pretty sure they'll be replaced eventually, though. Right now the NJTA is focusing on the "free" section of the Parkway between 129 and 141, although they did replace a couple of signs for 144 going SB when they put up one of the new VMS gantries.

Yeah I suppose they make the parkway "unique" and such.

SignBridge

Roadman65, I agree with you about those gore signs with the arrow in the circle. Wish they would have kept those!

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on September 13, 2014, 01:43:21 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on September 28, 2014, 07:51:52 PM
I myself always liked the GSP wooden posts along with the rusted gantries.  I am only disappointed that they were indeed forced to abandon the original exit gore signs with the arrow inside a circle on the top right corners for right side exits and top left for left side exits.  That was neat back in the 70's to see them signs.

Roadman65, I agree with you about those gore signs with the arrow in the circle. Wish they would have kept those!

Are there any photos of what we are talking about here?

roadman65

Does anyone know if Michael Suma has them?  He used to always have vintage photos from the early 70's that he shared with many.  Maybe he might have some old GSP signs back when exit numbers were just numbers with no "EXIT" worded on the tabs and of the old exit gore signs as well.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on September 30, 2014, 08:02:43 PM
Does anyone know if Michael Suma has them?  He used to always have vintage photos from the early 70's that he shared with many.  Maybe he might have some old GSP signs back when exit numbers were just numbers with no "EXIT" worded on the tabs and of the old exit gore signs as well.

I know someone posted a great vintage photo of the southbound Parkway approaching 145 from the 60s or early 70s. Ground mounted sign and everything. I think it was before they widened anything in that area. More pictures like that would be fascinating.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on September 30, 2014, 08:02:43 PM

It appears that the GSP set the standard for...Ontario freeways? ("exit"-less exit tabs).

Brandon

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 13, 2014, 01:24:00 PM
Del Mem Br might be weird but it's where the Turnpike goes.

It's not much different than "Mackinac Bridge" for I-75 in Michigan.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

storm2k

found this on a website about parkway history that the Turnpike Authority apparently has up. You can see one of the old ground mount BGS with the exit tab with just the number.

Alps

I grew up with those. Turns out I do have a modern photo or three:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.