News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on November 11, 2014, 08:37:16 PM
So 131 is now becoming 132. Saw a new BGS sign complete with a yellow "Formerly 131" tab on it. So 131 becomes 132 and SB 131A will likely become 131 since there isn't a 131B southbound.
Okay, that's interesting. Now I don't know what to expect. Definitely the right answer in this case - no Exit 132, north of MP 132, and north of 131A/B.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on November 11, 2014, 11:45:17 PM
So 131 is now becoming 132. Saw a new BGS sign complete with a yellow "Formerly 131" tab on it. So 131 becomes 132 and SB 131A will likely become 131 since there isn't a 131B southbound.
Okay, that's interesting. Now I don't know what to expect. Definitely the right answer in this case - no Exit 132, north of MP 132, and north of 131A/B.

I didn't either. They already put up the first BGS bridge for 131A going south, but it would be easy to green out the A going SB (and adding the B-A suffices for 130). I have to take a ride further up that part of the Parkway to see if they're going to renumber anything else. Properly suffixing 140 and 140A going SB would come to mind (to be 140B-A even though they don't both go to 22).

Roadgeek Adam

Which is what I figured. SLDs put this at 131.97 anyway, so just round up. Considering 131 was my home exit for 16 years, it's kind of sad to see it go, because it's not 131 anymore. Everyone in the area always knows it as Exit 131. I wonder what happens if when NJ Turnpike goes milepost and we get Exit 83 instead of Exit 9, because Exit 9 has a big local thing.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadman65

Wow this is so impressive!  Exit numbers on the Parkway are important reference terms used by New Jereyians for decades.  It is like baseball and apple pie, to the Garden State.  To have a major interchange move one whole number up the scale must be annoying and confusing many locals who relied on the 131 number for years.

It is not like I-78's change with only a slight adjustment of the letters as it still all is 142 not creating that much confusion, but a whole number is being changed here.

BTW, Exit 140 going SB was always a fluke.  I am surprised it lasted that long as going NB it was always for US 22 while its southbound counterpart was given the same number to NJ 82 WB while US 22 got alphabet soup.  This, if they change it, would be an improvement and just like I-78 would create minimal confusion.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

That change must've occured this Monday (Nov. 10).  I was on the GSP on this past weekend (northbound on Saturday/southbound on Sunday) in that area and saw no changes to the exit tabs at all.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

sercamaro

Okay Exit 89.

BGS just passed the toll plaza now shows Exit 89 B Rte 70 Brick/Lakehurst and Exit 89 C CR528 Lakewood

I took the collector ramp to rte 70 this morning.  Right now its single lane.  The toll plaza at Exit 88 has now been removed.

"Goalies Don't Smile" -- Ken Dryden

storm2k

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 12, 2014, 01:05:51 PM
That change must've occured this Monday (Nov. 10).  I was on the GSP on this past weekend (northbound on Saturday/southbound on Sunday) in that area and saw no changes to the exit tabs at all.

They haven't put the new signs up yet. They are sitting in the median by 130 which is where I saw that.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on November 12, 2014, 05:00:32 PM

They haven't put the new signs up yet. They are sitting in the median by 130 which is where I saw that.
There are covered gore signs up at NJ 27. The other place I saw a covered gore sign? 140. So that pretty much tells you the 140/140A thing will disappear.

Don'tKnowYet

Looks like Paragraph 3 of Section 3E.31 is at work here.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Alps on November 12, 2014, 06:17:23 PM

There are covered gore signs up at NJ 27. The other place I saw a covered gore sign? 140. So that pretty much tells you the 140/140A thing will disappear.

Those covered up gores have been there for a couple months at 140/140A. I am hoping to see 140B/140A come out of it.

From August 5:

Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

SignBridge

Don'tKnowYet, did you actually mean Section 2E-31?

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: SignBridge on November 12, 2014, 07:35:39 PM
Don'tKnowYet, did you actually mean Section 2E-31?

I did.  Thank you for noticing.  2E.31.03.

J Route Z

Between exits 143 and 171 the exit signs are not even touched yet. Also between 117 and 100.

roadman65

If they do touch the signs in those areas will the Lincoln Tunnel and the George Washington Bridge still be kept  at 153 and 159 or will they have to change them to "New York City" as the tone of the MUTCD seems to be going with these days of leaving out state names and waterway crossings?

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on November 10, 2014, 10:42:28 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 10, 2014, 08:56:23 AM
First of all, New Brunswick was used prior to the addition of the NB US 1 ramp at Exit 130.  So it could fit on the sign!  The supplemental could be removed it the destination became primary.

Enlighten me.  How would New Brunswick fit on this sign:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5541583,-74.3183185,3a,75y,160.74h,87.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJXIggCh8OAvIeW2oR0Ao5A!2e0

Heck look further south on the GSP!  Both Brick and Lakewood are used on Exits 91, 89, and 88.  That is three exits with the same guide (soon to be two as GSP is currently making Exits 88 and 89 into one interchange) that is doing what you think cannot be done.

This is being corrected as I understand it.  A wrong being righted.

Finally control cities do not have to be well known or famous either.   Lots of places are on exit guides that are not even on maps. 

You do know the BIG difference between a control city/point and a destination?

It is straight forward as it is already in practice.

Disagree.  Jut because you see in South Carolina or Battleboro, NC doesn't mean it is correct practice.

https://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i0075ncga Visit here, and if you open Picture 16, you will see an overhead assembly recently installed in GA along I-75 with two different exits having panels on the same gantry both being signed for Perry, GA.  Now how would you sign it if you say that GDOT is wrong here?

Sheryl Crowe

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2014, 10:37:44 AM
https://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i0075ncga Visit here, and if you open Picture 16, you will see an overhead assembly recently installed in GA along I-75 with two different exits having panels on the same gantry both being signed for Perry, GA.  Now how would you sign it if you say that GDOT is wrong here?

Don't know. I don't know shit about Georgia, but the fact that they are using EXIT to describe the distance in addition to the use of EXIT in the exit header sign leads me to believe that GDOT doesn't know shit about guide sign design, and thus the basic principles and needs of motorist navigation.  But the use of the same destination on the same truss has a high potential to disorient the non-familiar motorist.

The NJ Turnpike has a similar error from slapping Jersey City on every sign that a ramp of theirs happens to dump you off in.  To solve the Jersey City error, they should use a Jersey City NEXT X EXITS sign at the appropriate location and then sign for the neighborhood (or street as is othwise done). As you might know, Exchange Place and Communipaw for example are two completely different neighborhoods.  The non-familiar motorist or Manhattan visitor using mass transit from NJ would benefit from knowing that information.

roadman65

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on November 13, 2014, 11:07:54 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2014, 10:37:44 AM

Don't know. I don't know shit about Georgia, but the fact that they are using EXIT to describe the distance in addition to the use of EXIT in the exit header sign leads me to believe that GDOT doesn't know shit about guide sign design, and thus the basic principles and needs of motorist navigation.  But the use of the same destination on the same truss has a high potential to disorient the non-familiar motorist.

The NJ Turnpike has a similar error from slapping Jersey City on every sign that a ramp of theirs happens to dump you off in.  To solve the Jersey City error, they should use a Jersey City NEXT X EXITS sign at the appropriate location and then sign for the neighborhood (or street as is othwise done). As you might know, Exchange Place and Communipaw for example are two completely different neighborhoods.  The non-familiar motorist or Manhattan visitor using mass transit from NJ would benefit from knowing that information.
Lets see you have one Jersey City exit on the mainline and two on the Extension that are separated by Exits 14 and 14A.  You cannot have the Next X Exits before Exit 14, so being Exit 15E is not for one specific neighborhood as its located in Newark.  Oh yes, what about Newark being signed on both Exits 15E and 15W?  I guess that is totally wrong as well!

On the extension yes, approaching Exit 14 it could be signed as Garfield Avenue for Exit 14B, and for the Columbus Drive exit green out the "Jersey City" and perhaps use "Downtown" there.    Approaching 14B have a Next 3 Exits sign as the third would be the terminus of the Extension, or have a directory board like Newark has now on the GSP with the different areas as you say should have.  Sort of like PA does with city streets, as a big city on most freeways use the street name to the various exits and do not use the Next X Exits thing, but use the region or neighborhoods.

Sheryl Crowe

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2014, 11:41:19 AM
On the extension yes, approaching Exit 14 it could be signed as Garfield Avenue for Exit 14B, and for the Columbus Drive exit green out the "Jersey City" and perhaps use "Downtown" there.    Approaching 14B have a Next 3 Exits sign as the third would be the terminus of the Extension, or have a directory board like Newark has now on the GSP with the different areas as you say should have.  Sort of like PA does with city streets, as a big city on most freeways use the street name to the various exits and do not use the Next X Exits thing, but use the region or neighborhoods.

Hence the word "appropriate".

Newark is a better example.  Thank you.  In fact, that southbound supplemental guide sign that says Newark Airport USE EXIT 14 or 13A is one of the most worthless signs ever in terms of helping motorists with navigation.

The Newark Bay Extension could benefit from a NEXT 5 EXITS sign at least.  14 A backtracking using Garfield Ave of via NJ 440 to the north takes you immediately into the Greenville section of Jersey City.  5 Exits would also include the slip ramp to Liberty State Park, Columbus Boulevard, and the Holland Tunnel in addition to 14 B.  Maybe the end of the viaduct could be Holland Tunnel or Pavonia-Newport as LAST EXIT IN NJ.

I'm exhausted.  I eagerly await to hear how i'm misinformed.

roadman65

I forgot about the new slip ramp to the Liberty Park and Park and Ride.  That would add four, unless, like you said, 14A would be a good way to reach Greenville to make five.

As far as Newark goes, Ironbound should be used for Exit 15E in small letters with the already mentioned Newark.  Then Downtown Newark should be used for Exit 15W via I-280 to NJ 21 SB.  Sign it as Newark in big letters and then in small letters use Downtown.

The airport needs to be more specific like for Air Cargo and Terminals C & B to use 14 while Terminal A and the South Area to use Exit 13A.  Of course then you run confusion to which terminal is a driver's airline in.   Anyway i do not see the use both exits sign as that much of safety threat as both exits will take you where you want to go.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Isn't this the G.S. Parkway thread?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Don'tKnowYet

God forbid there is a two- or three-post tangent because comparisons or other examples are never helpful. Jeez.

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2014, 09:29:38 AM
If they do touch the signs in those areas will the Lincoln Tunnel and the George Washington Bridge still be kept  at 153 and 159 or will they have to change them to "New York City" as the tone of the MUTCD seems to be going with these days of leaving out state names and waterway crossings?
No, NJ is going to keep the crossing names to Manhattan, because it's critical for navigation.

storm2k

Snapped that this morning on my way to Metropark. Not sure why they covered the panels for 131A and B unless it's because they're not signing 131A as Metropark anymore (just S Wood Ave). 131B I believe is the same Metropark sign they're using for 131A SB except that it's green instead of blue (I never got the blue signs to begin with. Metropark Train Station is a destination, not a service if you want to really classify it properly). Also, no more Iselin on the (soon to be) 132 signage. They did put up an auxillary sign before the Rt 1 onramps that says Iselin Next 3 Exits so that's OK. I'll be curious to see some of the other signage that will go up soon. It looks like the sign bridge for 130 going SB is ready to go up shortly as well.

storm2k

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 12, 2014, 07:15:07 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 12, 2014, 06:17:23 PM

Those covered up gores have been there for a couple months at 140/140A. I am hoping to see 140B/140A come out of it.

From August 5:

I'm still not 100% sure why they didn't do that when they put up all the new signage for 142A-B since they replaced all the SB signage for 141 and 140/A at that time. Should have just fixed it to be 140B-A when they did that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.