News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njunderground

Update, tonight I saw a pull thru sign with the control city of "Paterson" was installed northbound around interchange 140. Sorry, no picture this time...

jeffandnicole

"Parkway set to unveil plan to fix Exit 109"

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/04/parkway_set_to_unveil_plan_to_fix_exit_109_heres_a_sneak_peak.html#incart_river

QuoteGarden State parkway officials will talk one-on-one with drivers and residents from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Middletown Public Library, 55 New Monmouth Road, about the proposed $60 million Exit 109 project. "It's in design now. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2017 and be completed in 2019," said Tom Feeney, a spokesman for the New Jersey Turnpike Authority, which runs the Parkway...The core of the project calls for replacing four aging bridges that carry the express and local lanes of the parkway over Newman Springs Road and widening the road, also known as county Route 520.   The project would move the Parkway's Northbound lanes to the west and toward the highway center median to improve conditions at the interchange and bring it to current design standards, Feeney said.

What's entertaining/irritating about the article are the photos used (as of 8:30am 4/22).  The first photo at the top of the article is just a generic G.S. Parkway sign over an area of single carriageway-per-direction roadway.  Exit 109 is in a dual carriageway section of the Parkway.

At the bottom of the article is a small series of photos of a construction truck accident...on the Parkway near Brick. 

All the pics have absolutely nothing to do with the interchange in question.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 22, 2015, 09:00:39 AM

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/04/parkway_set_to_unveil_plan_to_fix_exit_109_heres_a_sneak_peak.html#incart_river

Looking at a nearby intersection on GSV (http://goo.gl/maps/NWFEA) that's due to be reconstructed as part of the project (Half Mile at Newman), I noted this may be one of the few intersections in the state with 2 right turn lanes, which permits right turns on red from the right lane, but not the left.  In every other case I was familiar with, RTOR is prohibited from both lanes.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 22, 2015, 09:17:57 AM

Looking at a nearby intersection on GSV (http://goo.gl/maps/NWFEA) that's due to be reconstructed as part of the project (Half Mile at Newman), I noted this may be one of the few intersections in the state with 2 right turn lanes, which permits right turns on red from the right lane, but not the left.  In every other case I was familiar with, RTOR is prohibited from both lanes.
I like the signage in your example.  Here's another one in the Toms River area, with just a single text sign allowing RTOR from the right lane only: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.971955,-74.23747&spn=0.000004,0.002612&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.972043,-74.2379&panoid=MmZugmkGDkIagvu8w4mYiw&cbp=12,49.41,,0,1.06
And an example of dual right turn lanes both allowed to make a RTOR (outside of the morning rush hour) in Jersey City:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.717054,-74.054707&spn=0.000004,0.002612&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.717002,-74.054796&panoid=3JCGfcekg9e1gVVAcBWnVA&cbp=12,31.66,,0,6.17

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 22, 2015, 01:12:49 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 22, 2015, 09:17:57 AM

I like the signage in your example.  Here's another one in the Toms River area, with just a single text sign allowing RTOR from the right lane only: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.971955,-74.23747&spn=0.000004,0.002612&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.972043,-74.2379&panoid=MmZugmkGDkIagvu8w4mYiw&cbp=12,49.41,,0,1.06
And an example of dual right turn lanes both allowed to make a RTOR (outside of the morning rush hour) in Jersey City:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.717054,-74.054707&spn=0.000004,0.002612&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.717002,-74.054796&panoid=3JCGfcekg9e1gVVAcBWnVA&cbp=12,31.66,,0,6.17

That does remind me - there's one intersection where the right lane turns right, the next lane over is dual straight/right: http://goo.gl/maps/Dwazt .  Per the (lack of) signage, RTOR is permitted from either lane.  Note the 'Stop Here On Red' sign, which sometimes people may interpret as "No Turn On Red" because they don't get it.  Thus, the supplemental sign above it (ignore the ugliness of it), stating yes, go turn on red. 

This was one of the Red Light Camera intersections, so some people refused to turn right on red after getting their violation notice in the mail.  Thankfully those days are over (for now).

FWIW, I've never seen anyone turn right from the dual-function lane.

NJRoadfan

The first place I ever encountered a double right turn lane that permitted turning on red was in North Carolina, I honestly didn't know it was possible or safe for that matter. The cross street was configured as a "Super Street" and they had closed the median break, forcing a U-turn at the next light.

jakeroot

Is it uncommon to have two right turn lanes that can both yield on red? I'm quite used to it out "west".

NE2

Quote from: jakeroot on April 22, 2015, 03:08:43 PM
Is it uncommon to have two right turn lanes that can both yield on red? I'm quite used to it out "west".
Very uncommon. You usually have to stop before turning if the light's red.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jakeroot

Quote from: NE2 on April 22, 2015, 05:15:57 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 22, 2015, 03:08:43 PM

Very uncommon. You usually have to stop before turning if the light's red.

You know what I meant.

vdeane

We have a few double right turns that are allowed right on red in NY.  The two that come to mind are I-390 south to Brighton-Henrietta Town Line Rd and I-87 to NY 2 and NY 7 at the SPUI.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mr. Matté

All the pics have absolutely nothing to do with the interchange in question.

"So you've decided to visit NJ.com for the first time..."

(I only stay for the dummies in the comment section)

storm2k

Signage replacement from the Driscoll Bridge to the Union Tolls looks like it's almost complete. There are only a few signs left to erect, including the existing sign bridge at 135 going NB (one of the last 1980 NJDOT non-reflective button copy installs). I will try to grab some pictures at some point. I'm usually driving when I'm through that area, so it's not easy to try and get pics.

Of note, it looks like they're replacing signs on the ramps at 127 and 129. This sign is now gone. This one will likely be gone in the next week or so (they just put the new signs on the gantry on Thursday, they just need to mount it now). Maybe this also means they'll replace the gantry for the New Brunswick Rd exit and actually refer to its connections to 440 properly.

NJRoadfan

The 129 ramp has "New York CitY" as a destination for the NJTP. Who knows how that happened. It would be nice if that whole exit got lettered ramps, it certainly has enough of them! Odd that they would rip down a basically new NJDOT sign at New Brunswick Ave. though.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on April 25, 2015, 03:00:19 AM
Signage replacement from the Driscoll Bridge to the Union Tolls looks like it's almost complete. There are only a few signs left to erect, including the existing sign bridge at 135 going NB (one of the last 1980 NJDOT non-reflective button copy installs). I will try to grab some pictures at some point. I'm usually driving when I'm through that area, so it's not easy to try and get pics.

Of note, it looks like they're replacing signs on the ramps at 127 and 129. This sign is now gone. This one will likely be gone in the next week or so (they just put the new signs on the gantry on Thursday, they just need to mount it now). Maybe this also means they'll replace the gantry for the New Brunswick Rd exit and actually refer to its connections to 440 properly.

The one at the split for the NJ Turnpike always irked me.  I am glad its coming down as its been there for years with the all upper case lettering and no destinations.  I do like that the NJT is finally getting destinations after all these years though.  I only hope that NJTA replaces the post toll plaza photos with follow up signs that show the same control cities as the Exit 129 guide signs now feature.

Another peeve of mine was when they changed out the button copy signs in the late 80's that used both Trenton in New York, for the interstate designations of I-95 with either TURNPIKE NORTH or TURNPIKE SOUTH with no more of New York AND North or Trenton AND South.

I wonder though if the NB GSP is still using the three cities of Cranford, Rosselle Park, and Elizabeth at 137 being that the new 132 signs feature only two cities now with Iselin being removed there I would figure they would sacrifice one here too.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on April 27, 2015, 04:25:11 PM
I wonder though if the NB GSP is still using the three cities of Cranford, Rosselle Park, and Elizabeth at 137 being that the new 132 signs feature only two cities now with Iselin being removed there I would figure they would sacrifice one here too.

Not anymore. Control cities are Elizabeth and Cranford NB and Roselle Park and Cranford SB. Most signs are going on a diet to be MUTCD compliant.

J Route Z

Quote from: storm2k on April 28, 2015, 08:27:34 PM

Not anymore. Control cities are Elizabeth and Cranford NB and Roselle Park and Cranford SB. Most signs are going on a diet to be MUTCD compliant.

This probably was brought up before, but they haven't even touched the signage between exits 143-172? Some of these should be updated as well. I haven't been up there for a while, so I am not sure what is going on in that area. Street view is still from 2012 in most areas.

Alps

Quote from: J Route Z on April 28, 2015, 10:03:12 PM

This probably was brought up before, but they haven't even touched the signage between exits 143-172? Some of these should be updated as well. I haven't been up there for a while, so I am not sure what is going on in that area. Street view is still from 2012 in most areas.
No, they haven't yet. Those signs are generally newer than the ones south of 142. The upcoming work at 145 will replace those signs, but there are a lot of nonstandard ones up in the 150s that need a thorough replacement.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on April 27, 2015, 04:25:11 PMThe one at the split for the NJ Turnpike always irked me.  I am glad its coming down as its been there for years with the all upper case lettering and no destinations.  I do like that the NJT is finally getting destinations after all these years though.  I only hope that NJTA replaces the post toll plaza photos with follow up signs that show the same control cities as the Exit 129 guide signs now feature.

Another peeve of mine was when they changed out the button copy signs in the late 80's that used both Trenton in New York, for the interstate designations of I-95 with either TURNPIKE NORTH or TURNPIKE SOUTH with no more of New York AND North or Trenton AND South.
The new exit signs for the Turnpike, at least along the southbound GSP, now list Camden as a southbound destination (instead of Del. Mem. Bridge).

The rationale for skipping over Trenton is due to the preceeding US 1 interchange signage listing Trenton for a southbound destination.

Maybe New Brunswick (which is a supplemental BGS but it was on the primary BGS w/Trenton when the exit ramp was for US 1 southbound only) should be the southbound destination for the US 1 interchange signage; thereby allowing for a more consistent signing of Trenton for a southbound NJTP/I-95 destination in this vicinity.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Quote from: J Route Z on April 28, 2015, 10:03:12 PM

There's a new one for 144SB. 143A-B got new ones as part of the 142 project. 145 is going to get new signage. 163 will also. All the old signage there is gone (which makes sense). There are a lot of older vintage GSP oddities in the 150s and up which could use replacement.

KEVIN_224

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm certain that "rusted" brown gantry on the Garden State Parkway in Woodbridge, just before the Metropark Amtrak/NJ Transit train station, wasn't there a few months ago? This was looking northward on a southbound train to Philadelphia on Tuesday morning, April 28th:

The same bridge, from January 28, 2012...for comparison's sake:

:hmmm:

NJRoadfan

Brand new, holds advance signs for Exit 131, 130 and 129. Also note the new sign northbound for NJ-27 with a "formerly Exit 131" tab on it.

njunderground

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 29, 2015, 10:36:33 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm certain that "rusted" brown gantry on the Garden State Parkway in Woodbridge, just before the Metropark Amtrak/NJ Transit train station, wasn't there a few months ago? This was looking northward on a southbound train to Philadelphia on Tuesday morning, April 28th:

Yeah! What's the deal with that, by the way?!?! I travel the GSP everyday and was wondering about all these new rusted gantries, myself. Why were they not painted or plated or something? Would it really have cost that much extra? Or is it some nostalgic throwback to the old wooden members they once used?

The same bridge, from January 28, 2012...for comparison's sake:

:hmmm:

roadman65

Then Exit 136 which uses three destinations as well (all three east of the Parkway, with the SB Parkway having to make a u turn on Centennial Avenue to access all three), I take, must of had one of them removed as well.

To me Roselle should not be used going SB anyway, as it is better served via NJ 28 as the borough is located just to the south of NJ 28 immediately east of the Parkway.   Also Cranford should be used (and it was used prior to 1980 for Exit 136) as NB Centennial Avenue happens to service Downtown Cranford.  It never seemed right that all three destinations were in one direction (east) only  and also with Winfield Park one of them that is a very small community that should be on an auxillary sign.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

J Route Z

Quote from: njunderground on April 30, 2015, 12:54:37 AM

Yeah! What's the deal with that, by the way?!?! I travel the GSP everyday and was wondering about all these new rusted gantries, myself. Why were they not painted or plated or something? Would it really have cost that much extra? Or is it some nostalgic throwback to the old wooden members they once used?

The GSP uses these sign gantries a lot. Also I-95 near Baltimore uses them.

NJRoadfan

Apparently some people in New Jersey don't know where Camden is. The MUTCD policy to eliminate river crossings as control cities is mentioned too: http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/04/ask_commutinglarry_why_are_the_signs_on_the_parkway_are_changing.html

Who thought the most anti-MUTCD agency of all would become the strictest?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.