News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Massachusetts milepost exit numbering conversion contract

Started by roadman, October 28, 2015, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BridgesToIdealism

Quote from: bob7374 on April 12, 2021, 10:21:38 PM
Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on April 12, 2021, 07:42:53 PM
I noticed the other day while riding the Framingham/Worcester MBTA Commuter Rail line (which parallels the Mass Pike) that in some cases, it seems that MassDOT didn't bother to actually replace the gore point exit signs when converting a two digit exit number to a three digit exit number. Unfortunately didn't get any photos (train windows are always so dirty); however the result of not actually replacing the signs means that the new 3-digit exit numbers seems crammed onto the original signs that were designed only for 2-digits. I have no idea if this is temporary or permanent, but if this is intended to be permanent, it would seem that someone or something fell short somewhere.
Such as this?

They've put up numbers like this on some of the wider gore signs too:

Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about.
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

kramie13

Weren't the Mass. Pike signs replaced a few years ago?  I find it very odd that east of I-495, some of the new gore signs were wide enough to accommodate 3-digit exit numbers, but some were not.  Looking at Google Street View, the I-95/Rte. 128 exit EB, the Rte. 16 exit WB, and the Newton/Watertown exit WB were not future-proofed.

The Rte. 146 exit now has gore signs wide enough for 3 digits but now have a 2-digit exit number - they could be swapped with 2 of the signs east of I-495.

Ben114

Quote from: kramie13 on April 14, 2021, 09:01:22 AM
The Rte. 146 exit now has gore signs wide enough for 3 digits but now have a 2-digit exit number - they could be swapped with 2 of the signs east of I-495.

The exit 94 (Route 146) signs were originally designed to fit "Exit 10 A" on them, as 10 A was the old exit number.

kramie13

Quote from: Ben114 on April 14, 2021, 05:28:34 PM
The exit 94 (Route 146) signs were originally designed to fit "Exit 10 A" on them, as 10 A was the old exit number.

I know.  I think this is the only instance where a new exit number has *fewer* digits.  So Massachusetts could swap the gore signs at this exit with one that has a 3-digit exit number so you don't have awkward-looking exit signs.

bob7374

I've posted photos taken along the completed MA 2 exit renumbering project heading east between Lincoln and Cambridge taken by Paul Schlichtman:

and between Gardner and Orange by Greg Goldman:

on my Exit Renumbering page:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#photos

kernals12

akotchi

Quote from: bob7374 on April 15, 2021, 10:47:27 PM
I've posted photos taken along the completed MA 2 exit renumbering project heading east between Lincoln and Cambridge taken by Paul Schlichtman:

and between Gardner and Orange by Greg Goldman:

on my Exit Renumbering page:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#photos
Interesting that the warning sign assembly is embedded in a green background.  Other similar panels elsewhere are completely yellow with the smaller sign shapes outlined in black within the field.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

kramie13

WHOA!  Did Rte. 2 between Orange and Alewife get finished in just 2 weeks' time?  It's taken that long just to do I-95/Rte. 128 between Weston and Canton!

:confused:

fwydriver405

Meanwhile, on I-95 / Rte 128 north, one of the exit number patches is already starting to come apart as of 2021/04/14... near Exit 63 B

shadyjay

Quote from: kernals12 on April 16, 2021, 07:06:32 AM
When will they get around to 93?

Most likely when I-95 is done, as I-93 is the last road left in that particular contract set.

bob7374

Quote from: shadyjay on April 16, 2021, 04:44:20 PM
Most likely when I-95 is done, as I-93 is the last road left in that particular contract set.
That will probably be some time next week. They've renumbered I-95 South at least as far as I-495 in Mansfield, that leaves 3 more SB and 9 NB to go. I have updated my website with photos taken by Paul Schlichtman of the exit renumbering along I-95 North between Needham and Weston, of which I-90 / MA 30 is the most significant:

The rest are on my exit renumbering website: https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#i95signs2

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on April 16, 2021, 06:25:42 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on April 16, 2021, 04:44:20 PM
That will probably be some time next week. They've renumbered I-95 South at least as far as I-495 in Mansfield, that leaves 3 more SB and 9 NB to go. I have updated my website with photos taken by Paul Schlichtman of the exit renumbering along I-95 North between Needham and Weston, of which I-90 / MA 30 is the most significant:

The rest are on my exit renumbering website: https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#i95signs2
Recreation Road managed to lose an exit number?

roadman

Quote from: Alps on April 17, 2021, 01:15:46 AM

The ramp to Recreation Road is to be closed permanently within the next two years once the new Riverside development in Newton is completed.  As such, MassDOT decided to remove the exit number rather than update it.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

The Ghostbuster

I wasn't aware the Recreation Rd. interchange ramps were going to be removed. Now I know why they didn't give it a new number. Will Recreation Rd. itself still pass over Interstate 95 to terminate in Riverside Park?

SectorZ

Quote from: SectorZ on March 21, 2021, 10:12:46 AM
Quote from: rushfan01760 on March 20, 2021, 08:00:52 PM
Drove on Rte. 79 northbound in Fall River today.  Just before the merge with Rte. 24 northbound is this advance sign which still refers to the Innovation Way exit as 8B rather than 10 (Rte. 24's exit numbers have been updated).  Looks like the advanced signage on intersecting roads is being missed (the advance sign for Rte. 3's Exit 13 at the western end of the Plimoth Plantation Highway was still Exit 5 when I was on that road back at the end of December after the Rte. 3 exit numbers were updated).

I just sent MassDOT an e-mail about this. I guess that's just an oversight that no one caught when planning up the project.

Quoting myself as a follow-up here, got an e-mail from a MassDOT rep telling me that the two signs referenced here have been updated.

bob7374

I have posted more photos of exit renumbering along I-95 South from south of I-93/MA 128:

They wrapped up renumbering in that direction last night and should complete the remaining exits heading back north this week, weather permitting. All the new photos are at:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#i95signs3

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on April 17, 2021, 10:12:54 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 17, 2021, 01:15:46 AM

The ramp to Recreation Road is to be closed permanently within the next two years once the new Riverside development in Newton is completed.  As such, MassDOT decided to remove the exit number rather than update it.
Okay, that would explain the nonconforming oddity here; and it clearly is nonconforming.

Out of curiosity, what are the current traffic counts for that ramp?  I could imagine some northbounders using this entrance/exit for either the golf course or the Weston Ski Track (once reopened) are not going to be too pleased with being forced to use the surrounding 2-lanes roads once the ramp does close.

That said & related to the above-photo; I still believe that the 39 A-B assignments for MA 30 & I-90 should be the opposite.  Collector-distributor or no collector distributor road; I-90 crosses I-95 south of where MA 30 crosses it.  A similar scenario, sans the collector-distributor road, exists along I-84 at I-691 & CT 322.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 17, 2021, 01:30:51 PM
I wasn't aware the Recreation Rd. interchange ramps were going to be removed. Now I know why they didn't give it a new number.
Truth be told, I wasn't aware of much either.  Had such were to be retained, I would've assigned the northbound Grove St. ramp as Exit 38 A and Recreation Road as Exit 38 B.  Southbound, since Grove St. (Exit 38) shares the same ramp as MA 16 westbound (Exit 37 B); I would've simply signed the mainline exit ramp as simply Exit 37 B & ditched the separate exit tabs for the ramp split signs.  Such practice has been done elsewhere.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on April 20, 2021, 11:48:00 AM
I have posted more photos of exit renumbering along I-95 South from south of I-93/MA 128:

They wrapped up renumbering in that direction last night and should complete the remaining exits heading back north this week, weather permitting. All the new photos are at:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#i95signs3
Observation: several of those hyphens on those updated number tabs along that stretch of I-95 look so small; one wouldn't even notice them until up close.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kernals12

So I drove on 2 today from Lunenburg to Lexington and it was jarring to see triple digit exit numbers.

kramie13

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 20, 2021, 01:17:56 PM
Observation: several of those hyphens on those updated number tabs along that stretch of I-95 look so small; one wouldn't even notice them until up close.

That stretch of I-95, for some reason, has atrocious exit signs when compared to all other highways in the state.  Thankfully there is a sign replacement project in the works.  These new signs won't have the mile-based exits "slapped on" either - they'll look just right.

Roadgeekteen

I'm never going to get used to my exit being exit 35.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Pete from Boston

Numbering was moving steadily up 95 the last couple of days. Went past two Exit 7s Tuesday, but only one on Wednesday. Old Exit 9 was still intact yesterday evening.

I guess there's plenty of wiggle room because milepost 1 actually occurs within the footprint of Exit 2.

kramie13

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 22, 2021, 11:21:10 AM
Old Exit 9 was still intact yesterday evening.

It was renumbered last night, along with old exits 11 and 12.  The schedule page at newmassexits.com now lists Interstate 95 as "complete".  Route 2 is not listed as "complete", even though earlier posts on this thread indicate it is.

The schedule now also indicates that I-93 renumbering will begin on May 2, with I-495, I-395, and I-290 each listed as TBD.  Not sure why the "eastern" contract is taking a week off.

SectorZ

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 04:53:48 PM
I'm never going to get used to my exit being exit 35.

Hey my exit 38/route 38 in Tewksbury off 495 is on borrowed time for me.

kernals12

My life will fall apart when Connecticut switches to mile based exits.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.