News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Odd signs in Chicagoland

Started by N9JIG, February 20, 2011, 02:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N9JIG

Here is a sign that popped up in Half Day, IL on Milwaukee Ave. at Half Day Road last fall after a reconstruction project. Last week however they covered up the non-standard US-45 marker with a regular US Route Marker, bolting on the marker over the white on black 45.

Notice that the signs themselves are two single sheets adhered or silk-screened to the main panel, not individual banners and markers.

Illinois Highways Page                                                          http://www.n9jig.com

Brandon

While I admit to liking the white numbers on the black US shield, this is rare indeed.  IDOT (especially District 1) does not typically use one-piece assemblies.  I'm guessing a contractor made this entire assembly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hobsini2

Lately, when IDOT has been "redoing" major intersections, they have started using single sign assemblies.  The replacement of the sign(s) at Archer and 55th split in the city is now a single sign, although this may be the city's doing.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

N9JIG

I have seen similar adhered-sheet signs in other areas of Illinois, notably in the LaSalle/Ottawa area, but this was the first I have seen in the Chicagoland area.

I was more intrigued however by the white on black US Route marker. I like it, but it isn't compliant so I guess it had to go...
Illinois Highways Page                                                          http://www.n9jig.com

Stratuscaster

The new intersection at IL-25, Dunham Road, and Stearns Road in Kane County makes use of single-sheet signs as well. Not a fan, but not my call.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.