Possible 2014 Hastings (MN) Roads meet

Started by Molandfreak, August 20, 2013, 01:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

Anyone interested in coming to Hastings, MN in late July 2014? There's an antique power show then that has a replica of the spiral bridge that carried highway 61 traffic across the Mississippi. There are other really cool original signs and train depots that were moved from their original locations to there.

I'm not sure when this is next year (usually the last weekend in July) or weather or not I'll be free then, but it is a possibility.

Afterward, we could go into town and drive the brand new bridge across the Mississippi. It'll probably have to be multiple trips, but we could also go under the new bridge by a pontoon boat (the most we've ever fit on this boat is 8 people). This will also involve going through the lock.

Power show website: http://www.littleloghouseshow.com/
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

froggie

I'd be normally interested, and I intend to get back to MSP at least twice next year, but I don't think late July is one of those times.  My main focus will be Railvolution 2014, which'll be in Minneapolis sometime Fall (most likely October) 2014.

Molandfreak

Quote from: froggie on August 20, 2013, 02:27:14 AM
I'd be normally interested, and I intend to get back to MSP at least twice next year, but I don't think late July is one of those times.  My main focus will be Railvolution 2014, which'll be in Minneapolis sometime Fall (most likely October) 2014.
Huh. Didn't know about Railvolution; that sounds cool!
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

getemngo

It'd be nice if you put the state name in the thread title. Here I was wondering if the new Michigan Street bridge was really enough to justify a Hastings, MI meet, even if Brian Reynolds lives there. :pan:  There's not an obvious large city anywhere that we all think of when you say "Hastings." The one in Minnesota isn't even the biggest Hastings in the US, Nebraska is.

All that aside, I've always wanted to attend a Minnesota meet, so I'll definitely keep my ears open!
~ Sam from Michigan

Molandfreak

Quote from: getemngo on August 20, 2013, 05:25:13 PM
It'd be nice if you put the state name in the thread title. Here I was wondering if the new Michigan Street bridge was really enough to justify a Hastings, MI meet, even if Brian Reynolds lives there. :pan:  There's not an obvious large city anywhere that we all think of when you say "Hastings." The one in Minnesota isn't even the biggest Hastings in the US, Nebraska is.

All that aside, I've always wanted to attend a Minnesota meet, so I'll definitely keep my ears open!
Fixed the title for you :D

A.J. Bertin

I'm very interested. I've never been to Minnesota before, so this would be a good reason for me to go. There's been talk of a possible Minnesota meet for the last few years, and that talk kinda faded away - so I'm glad to hear the possibility has been resurrected. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

corco

Minnesota is a state I'm pretty committed to attending roadmeets in since it's basically the closest state that will have roadmeets, so sure!

kphoger

I have in-laws in Hastings, and many more in the MSP area in general.  I suppose it's a possiblity.....but I'm not sure how likely.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jpi

I will keep this on the back burner. My wife and I switchbacked southwest MN on our big trip in July but would like to see more of it and at this point I am not planning on going out to NM in 2014 like I did in July. Will see :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Mdcastle

Has there ever been an official roads meet in MN? I've met with Froggie three times, including an all day road trip, and once met with someone in a Starbucks to look at old maps, but that's been the extend of it. The St Croix Crossing should be in high gear by then too. There seem to be a lot more roadgeeks in Iowa and Wisconsin for some reason so that's generally where the meets in the area are.

froggie

There have been attempts and past discussions, but there has not been an official meet in Minnesota.

A.J. Bertin

I hope this meet is able to happen next year. The best thing is to announce it a few months in advance to give people plenty of time to arrange their schedules for it and be able to attend. :D
-A.J. from Michigan

on_wisconsin

A potential MN/ Twin Cities road meet sounds interesting... I'm definitely a strong maybe. (Would be the first road meet I've ever attended.) A visit to the Stillwater Bridge project and the new US 169/ I-494 interchange could be good ideas.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

A.J. Bertin

Molandfreak - if you're thinking of hosting this, I'd LOVE to go. You might want to start by announcing specific dates that you're looking at and ask everyone to vote on them. I think May 17 (Starved Rock IL) and June 29-30 (NYC) are already taken. Which time period next year are you looking at doing this? For me, I'm already tentatively looking for a way to attend those meets, but I'm really hoping to somehow attend a Minnesota meet too.
-A.J. from Michigan

Molandfreak

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 02, 2013, 06:20:51 AM
Molandfreak - if you're thinking of hosting this, I'd LOVE to go. You might want to start by announcing specific dates that you're looking at and ask everyone to vote on them. I think May 17 (Starved Rock IL) and June 29-30 (NYC) are already taken. Which time period next year are you looking at doing this? For me, I'm already tentatively looking for a way to attend those meets, but I'm really hoping to somehow attend a Minnesota meet too.
If it is happening, it'll be either Saturday, July 26, or Sunday, July 27 (the days when the power show mentioned in the OP is running). There's still a chance it won't happen, but I am 75% sure it is happening at this point. Keep in mind, I have never even attended a meet, so it will be extremely unorthodox if it is actually happening.

getemngo

Well, rawmustard hosted two very successful Indiana meets in 2009 after having attended just one meet ever. Make sure to read the guide to hosting and don't be afraid to ask any questions! (That's more before the meet. During the meet, the host needs to be flexible but decisive to keep things on track.)
~ Sam from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: getemngo on October 03, 2013, 12:17:59 AM
Well, rawmustard hosted two very successful Indiana meets in 2009 after having attended just one meet ever.

Actually, the two-day Indy meet was Dan Garnell's baby.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Takumi

Well, rawmustard hosted two very successful Indiana meets in 2009 after having attended just one meet ever. Make sure to read the guide to hosting and don't be afraid to ask any questions! (That's more before the meet. During the meet, the host needs to be flexible but decisive to keep things on track.)
I hosted Richmond last year without ever having attended a meet, and it was mostly a success. The guide to hosting wasn't there yet, but I picked a local restaurant, some sites of interest, and a route that tied them all together (although due to time constraints we had to adjust it on the fly). It really isn't that hard. You just have to plan it and research.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

getemngo

Quote from: hbelkins on October 03, 2013, 10:27:42 AM
Well, rawmustard hosted two very successful Indiana meets in 2009 after having attended just one meet ever.

Actually, the two-day Indy meet was Dan Garnell's baby.

Oh, my mistake. But he did host Fort-to-Port that year, which I'm pretty sure was his third meet, since Lansing in 2008 was his and my first.
~ Sam from Michigan

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: Molandfreak on August 20, 2013, 01:59:21 AM
Anyone interested in coming to Hastings, MN in late July 2014? There's an antique power show then that has a replica of the spiral bridge that carried highway 61 traffic across the Mississippi. There are other really cool original signs and train depots that were moved from their original locations to there.

I'm not sure when this is next year (usually the last weekend in July) or weather or not I'll be free then, but it is a possibility.

Afterward, we could go into town and drive the brand new bridge across the Mississippi. It'll probably have to be multiple trips, but we could also go under the new bridge by a pontoon boat (the most we've ever fit on this boat is 8 people). This will also involve going through the lock.

Power show website: http://www.littleloghouseshow.com/

That might be an interesting meet. Another one to consider is when the MN 36 Stillwater crossing is finished
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 08, 2013, 06:36:56 PM
I hope this meet is able to happen next year. The best thing is to announce it a few months in advance to give people plenty of time to arrange their schedules for it and be able to attend. :D

I may try setting up something for early in the Spring. It would have to be before mid May, after that the two baseball teams I play on take up my time in the summer months!
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

Dougtone

Quote from: Takumi on October 03, 2013, 11:33:49 PM
I hosted Richmond last year without ever having attended a meet, and it was mostly a success. The guide to hosting wasn't there yet, but I picked a local restaurant, some sites of interest, and a route that tied them all together (although due to time constraints we had to adjust it on the fly). It really isn't that hard. You just have to plan it and research.

The Richmond meet was a good time and I'm glad I went.  I thought the meet was well organized.

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on November 18, 2013, 06:49:33 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 08, 2013, 06:36:56 PM

I may try setting up something for early in the Spring. It would have to be before mid May, after that the two baseball teams I play on take up my time in the summer months!

I guess we are talking about two separate Minnesota road meets? Molandfreak was talking about hosting one in July. Which part of Minnesota are you thinking about hosting yours in?
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.