News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2014 NYC National Road Meet (June 28-29, 2014)

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 08:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

As a few 2014 meets seem to be reserving dates, I thought I'd kick this off and see what people think. The idea would be to have a two-day meet on Saturday and Sunday, and give people and their families a chance to see New York on their own, maybe build a vacation around it. (If you've never been, or not in 20+ years, you really should come visit. And yes, it's very kid-friendly in this area.) If you can make both days some weekends but only one day on others, then please choose the ones where you can make both days (or comment). I'd like to return to the glory of past National Meets and have a great affair, and with enough pre-planning I can maybe line up something unique for the days and nights.

vdeane

As of right now I'm good for anything except Memorial Day.  The family picnic is usually in June, but we won't know when until late May or so (depends on when my relatives in Michigan can get vacation).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

corco

My preference would be as late as possible. This meet would be my top priority for next year- finances/vacation time will determine how that plays in with a potential Starved Rock IL meet. I'd either drive to Starved Rock and fly to this, or just drive to this.

If I do the latter, hopefully the date is locked in a few months in advance, because I'd have to clear 2 weeks off of work with my boss.

But yeah, this sounds awesome, and I can't think of a better way to do a cross country roadtrip.

oscar

Too early to identify my likely schedule conflicts, but the two weekends in May are most likely to conflict with a niece's graduation out in California, and I suspect others will have similar issues.  One weekend in June may be another problem for me, but I don't yet know which one.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

Memorial Day is probably out for me, and it's too far in advance for me to know exactly what my schedule will be on the other dates, but I'll definitely keep this on my radar screen.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Laura

This sounds amazing!

I have no weekend commitments yet for May or June 2014. I'm biased and voted for my 27th birthday weekend (June 28-29), but as of right now, I can do any of the weekends.

My brother and sis-in-law are trying to conceive a baby, and we are nine months out from the meet...so hopefully that doesn't interfere!

jpi

For me the most prefered dates would be Memorial day weekend or the next weekend. That is when I will be in the York\ Harrisburg, PA area for the toy show I do in York every Sunday\ Memorial day weekend so if it ends up being memorial day weekend, i can at least do Saturday but the next weekend may work out better since I would be able to do the whole weekend and I would use my last week of vacation for that week since it's only a 3 hour drive from where I stay (York or Harrisburg) I also voted the last weekend in June since that is at the end of June, either way I will be in central PA over Memorial Day weekend.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Takumi

June 7-8 is my dad and stepmom's anniversary weekend (it's the 9th, for those who must know), so I may end up dog-sitting, and I'm inclined to avoid driving on Memorial Day weekend.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

Memorial Day weekend would have a Wife Acceptance Factor of about zero for me since she likes to do something for our birthdays then (mine is May 31, hers is just over a week prior to mine). I think I have to go with June 7—8 because we've been kicking around the idea of going to Europe at the end of June.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

OK so for starters, it sounds like Memorial Day is generally frowned upon. That's the sort of thing I'm interested in knowing! I also see people either like the weekend after that or the last one in June.

froggie

Too early to figure out the schedule planning conflicts at this point.

empirestate

My work does not typically allow me to know this far in advance whether I can be at something like this. My upcoming job will no longer exist by then, and the one after it might not exist yet. So, since I already live in NYC, just let me know when it is and I'll let you know if I can make it. :)

SSOWorld

It's too early for me to commit to one date here, but Memorial Day will be out. 

(SIDE NOTE: Would be quite interesting if I was still in California and took a transcontinental flight :|)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

dgolub

I'm probably booked June 21-22, and Memorial Day would probably be best to leave open, but any of the others would probably work.

Dr Frankenstein

Memorial Day would be perfect for me for a change, but all the other dates work.

I do a trip to NYC every year in late May/early June, so this works out perfectly. Except I probably won't have a car (I usually take Amtrak).

Compulov

I can't commit to any dates yet, since we're going to be booking our honeymoon at some point for May or June. I think later in June would be the best bet, though, since I think we're looking at mid-May or early June.

Brandon

Sounds like an interesting idea.  The big question is: should I drive?
I'm planning the Starved Rock, Illinois meet for Saturday May 15th right now.  Anything in June should be far enough away I would think.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PHLBOS

For me, Memorial Day weekend is automatically out; I'll be in Massachusetts.

June 7-8 and 21-22 are also out for me due to the All-Ford and All-GM events taking place in Carlisle, PA.

All other weekends (at least the Saturdays) are workable for me.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 18, 2013, 02:49:22 PM
June 7-8 and 21-22 are also out for me due to the All-Ford and All-GM events taking place in Carlisle, PA.

Isn't that illegal to attend both in some states?  :pan:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PHLBOS

Quote from: Brandon on September 18, 2013, 04:03:12 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on September 18, 2013, 02:49:22 PM

Isn't that illegal to attend both in some states?  :pan:
Maybe below the Mason-Dixon line.  :)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Janko Dialnice

Memorial Day weekend would not be good for me. Also, the weekend of June 7-9 is a major religious holiday for me, so that is out.

Takumi

Just remembered the East Coast Prelude Meet at the Outer Banks happens around this time of year as well. This year it was the last weekend in June, and I'm likely to attend it next year, so the 28th-29th may be no good for me after all.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Duke87

Scheduling things for me is on a first come, first serve basis. I currently have plans none of those weekends. You claim one anytime before the end of the year? It's definitely yours.

I will also agree, though, that Memorial Day weekend is unideal since I'd rather travel out of town on a long weekend.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on September 18, 2013, 06:23:37 PM
Just remembered the East Coast Prelude Meet at the Outer Banks happens around this time of year as well. This year it was the last weekend in June, and I'm likely to attend it next year, so the 28th-29th may be no good for me after all.
It was June 16-17 in 2012, so there's no way to know. However, based on the responses, it seems that everyone likes the last weekend in June the best. Hey, stick around for the following week and save a vacation day thanks to July 4! You can definitely spend a week in NYC. So... June 28-29 it is, barring anything unexpected in the next few months. Official announcement will be in 2014 once I've planned everything and made sure there's not a compelling reason to pick another weekend.

Takumi

Kind of a tough call...both places are pretty touristy in summer, but NYC is less car-friendly and further away. I've never been to NYC but haven't been to OBX since 2005, and the Hatteras section even longer. Either way it's too far out for me to commit either way right now...depends on several things, particularly how far along my car is at the time.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.