News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Fall 2014?

Started by hbelkins, August 23, 2014, 07:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I may be able to attend one meet this fall. I know that meets are scheduled in Connecticut and Alabama. Is anyone else considering anything between now and the end of the year?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

I do not.  My next one will be sometime in spring 2015.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Quebec City is a third.

As for any hosted by me... no.  I also hope to target 2015 and may have to compete with Brandon (sorry) to get a key artifact before it gets torn out by WisDOT if I'm lucky.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Laura

I'm looking to host the next Baltimore meet once the ETL on I-95 are open, which is currently scheduled for December.

However, I'm not sure if I should attempt to host a winter meet or if I should wait until it's warmer (such as March). Would people be interested in attending a meet in December or January?

ETA: Also, I'd like to do an "Eastern Shore MD" meet now that the construction to widen MD 404 has started, which started a few weeks ago and will go until Summer 2017. The question for this one is also timing. It would have to be done between Labor Day and Memorial Day to avoid beach traffic.

I could do a two day meet to cover everything, or space them at least several months(/years) apart. Decisions, decisions.

oscar

Quote from: Laura on August 23, 2014, 09:09:52 PM
I'm looking to host the next Baltimore meet once the ETL on I-95 are open, which is currently scheduled for December.

However, I'm not sure if I should attempt to host a winter meet or if I should wait until it's warmer (such as March). Would people be interested in attending a meet in December or January?

I might be game for a winter meet, if I'm around since I usually travel to warmer climes sometime that season.  A spring meet might have a bigger turnout, which you may or may not prefer.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Duke87

As a general rule, not a problem, although this particular upcoming December/January might not work well for me.

I will be in Baltimore the weekend of January 25th and 26th, incidentally, but unable to attend any road meets since I will be at MAGfest.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Brandon

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 23, 2014, 09:04:23 PM
Quebec City is a third.

As for any hosted by me... no.  I also hope to target 2015 and may have to compete with Brandon (sorry) to get a key artifact before it gets torn out by WisDOT if I'm lucky.

There's no competition here at all.  The key artifact comes first as WisDOT is notorious for trying to obscure the past.  IDOT just lets it sit and rot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

ETA: Also, I'd like to do an "Eastern Shore MD" meet now that the construction to widen MD 404 has started, which started a few weeks ago and will go until Summer 2017. The question for this one is also timing. It would have to be done between Labor Day and Memorial Day to avoid beach traffic.

I could do a two day meet to cover everything, or space them at least several months(/years) apart. Decisions, decisions.
2015 National meet?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jpi

Laura- just throwing this out there, If you do your meet the Saturday of super bowl weekend, I should be able to attend because there is toy show in Shrewsbury, PA on super bowl Sunday (remember this past year whe you guys met up with Steph and I) otherwise it will be up in the air for me, so far Steph and I are a 100% go for Cody's Guntersville, AL meet, after that, who knows.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

on_wisconsin

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 23, 2014, 09:04:23 PMget a key artifact before it gets torn out by WisDOT if I'm lucky.
"key artifact"?!?
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

vdeane

Quote from: on_wisconsin on August 24, 2014, 04:13:05 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on August 23, 2014, 09:04:23 PMget a key artifact before it gets torn out by WisDOT if I'm lucky.
"key artifact"?!?
If they don't find it, the archeologists won't be able to figure out how ancient Wisconsinites lived.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Quote from: on_wisconsin on August 24, 2014, 04:13:05 PM
"key artifact"?!?
Think "history of the beltline" and remember that it is not eligible for an Insterstate route number for good reasons.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Dougtone

For a Baltimore meet,  January may work better than December.  Not many weekends between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year due to a late Thanksgiving.

JMoses24

No plans right now. I would like to do a Cincinnati meet in 2015, with projects on I-75 and I-71 just north of downtown and I-275 on the east side of town continuing. That, if I do it, will be in spring or early summer.

Laura

Quote from: oscar on August 23, 2014, 09:31:00 PM
I might be game for a winter meet, if I'm around since I usually travel to warmer climes sometime that season.  A spring meet might have a bigger turnout, which you may or may not prefer.

Yeah. I'd prefer a larger turnout if at all possible.

Quote from: Duke87 on August 24, 2014, 12:10:18 AM

I will be in Baltimore the weekend of January 25th and 26th, incidentally, but unable to attend any road meets since I will be at MAGfest.

I thought MAGfest was in National Harbor? Either way, have fun!

Quote from: vdeane on August 24, 2014, 12:39:18 PM

2015 National meet?

So tempting...but I feel that Denver and the UP have already beat me to the punch on that. That said, I could still do a two-day regional meet (similar to the Hampton Roads/Delmarva Meet this past March). If I go that route, I'd rather have it in February or March. I would do Baltimore on Saturday and "Eastern Shore, MD" (Queen Anne, Caroline, and Talbot Counties) on Sunday.

Quote from: jpi on August 24, 2014, 03:41:14 PM
Laura- just throwing this out there, If you do your meet the Saturday of super bowl weekend, I should be able to attend because there is toy show in Shrewsbury, PA on super bowl Sunday (remember this past year whe you guys met up with Steph and I) otherwise it will be up in the air for me, so far Steph and I are a 100% go for Cody's Guntersville, AL meet, after that, who knows.

I will keep this in mind, especially if I only do the one meet (Baltimore) this winter! (I don't think people would come to the second day if it's Super Bowl Sunday.)

Quote from: Dougtone on August 25, 2014, 10:55:24 PM
For a Baltimore meet,  January may work better than December.  Not many weekends between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year due to a late Thanksgiving.

Agreed. I'm going to take December off of the table.

Ha, with that said, to answer your original question H.B., no. I will host my meet (or meets) in the winter or spring.

hbelkins

I do want to do something surrounding the opening of the new US 460 routing in Pike County, Ky., but it's looking more and more like that will be this winter.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

Quote from: Laura on August 27, 2014, 12:46:46 PM
I thought MAGfest was in National Harbor? Either way, have fun!

It is, and I knew that all along but until a couple days ago I was under the mistaken assumption that "National Harbor" was the name of a venue near the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. You say to me "Harbor, Maryland" and my brain automatically assumes Baltimore. Oops. :pan:

Now having looked it up on a map I would never describe it in conversation as "in National Harbor", I'd describe it as "near DC". Less confusing that way.

But the point stands, I have plans that weekend. :P

Quote from: Laura on August 27, 2014, 12:46:46 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 24, 2014, 12:39:18 PM
2015 National meet?

So tempting...but I feel that Denver and the UP have already beat me to the punch on that.

Someone is planning on doing an Upper Peninsula meet next year? I know there was talk a couple years ago but the thread about it was last active in 2012.

If this is happening I may need to keep an eye on the discussion since tentative scoping has my next cross-country trip taking me through the Upper Peninsula on my way west.

SSOWorld

The UP meet - last I heard - is slated for likely labor day weekend - they want to pair it up with the Mac Bridge walk.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Duke87

Er... that'd be labor day weekend 2015, right? Not three days from now? :-D

SSOWorld

Quote from: Duke87 on August 27, 2014, 09:48:12 PM
Er... that'd be labor day weekend 2015, right? Not three days from now? :-D
er... yes. 2015
Scott O.

Raise your what?

codyg1985

Anyone else think there needs to be a calendar (or use of the board calendar) for scheduling of meets? It would certainly help with trying not to interfere with other's meets.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Brandon

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 29, 2014, 11:49:32 AM
Anyone else think there needs to be a calendar (or use of the board calendar) for scheduling of meets? It would certainly help with trying not to interfere with other's meets.

Might not be a bad idea.  It can be difficult sometimes to figure out when each one is going from thread to thread.

SSOWorld

There is a "Link to calendar" option at the bottom of the thread.  (I know meet dates aren't set right away)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

codyg1985

I see you can create a new event on the calendar, and it creates a new topic in the forum of your choice in addition to the event itself.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

rawmustard

Now that I'm back at full-time status and have a new car, I suppose I could throw something together if I have the time. My fellow Michiganders have talked of wanting to see the new US-131 bypass around Constantine, and that could be thrown together with the historic bridges in St. Joseph County if not the larger happenings with US-31 near South Bend. There's also talk of wanting to see the 96fix in Livonia and/or the Herb Gray Parkway in Windsor, but I'd be less likely to plan those meets.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.