News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Possible western Kentucky meet

Started by hbelkins, August 28, 2014, 01:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Viewing the construction to convert the existing cloverleaf interchange of the Western Kentucky and Pennyrile parkways into a high-speed connection for I-69.

Seeing the construction on the bridge that will replace the US 68/KY 80 Eggners Ferry Bridge crossing Kentucky Lake (and using the temporary span that replaced the section that was demolished by a ship using the wrong channel in the lake).

Clinching existing I-69 in Kentucky.

A meal at Patti's 1880s Settlement and their famous pork chops.

Rough outline of the route here.

What say you?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Set a date, HB, and I think people will come.

Were you planning to meet for lunch, or lunch along the way with an earlier start?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

I hadn't really decided on the format yet. Patti's is popular enough that reservations for a decent-sized crowd would be necessary, and there's always the possibility of not getting there on time if lunch is during the tour.

There's also an issue of scouting. That area isn't as close as Pikeville and Ashland were for the meets I did last year, but a friend in that area can feed me information.

This idea is very much in its infancy.

Alps

Timing - this fall, next spring, summer?

hbelkins

The more I think about this, the less likely it is that I will do it this year.

I really want to try to go to either Anthony's Merritt Parkway meet or Cody's NE Alabama meet, and due to distance a WKY meet would require an overnight stay. Can't do one of those meets and then host one so close together due to budgetary constraints.

Plus, I wouldn't be able to schedule it until mid-October at the earliest, to give my friend the opportunity to do some scouting for me, and then it would run up against the aforesaid two meets. Any farther back and we're into standard time (less daylight) and then the holidays and then winter.

The flyover project is supposed to be done fairly quickly so there should still be construction to see next spring. Plus the Eggners Ferry Bridge will be farther along, and there will also be some work going on to make improvements to the Pennyrile north of Madisonville by then.

I'd also be glad to take suggestions on other things to see in the area. There might be some construction on US 641 that we could gander at.

jpi

I should be good since this area of western KY is as little as 2 hours from me, as long as nothing is going on with work\ toy shows I am there. :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

codyg1985

This is a definite interest for me, so unless this conflicts with anything else personal or other road meets, count me in.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

brianreynolds

If other obligations don't preclude, I will definitely be interested.

A.J. Bertin

I may be interested - depending on timing.
-A.J. from Michigan

kharvey10

I will be interested, even willing to package it with a Southern Illinois meet the following day depending on how things go.  It will be next year though, as I am out of vacation time.

adt1982

Quote from: kharvey10 on September 18, 2014, 03:17:50 AM
I will be interested, even willing to package it with a Southern Illinois meet the following day depending on how things go.  It will be next year though, as I am out of vacation time.

I'd definitely be interested in the southern IL portion.  Keep us posted.

jpi

Once the date is announced, I shoudl be good to go as long as nothing else comes up. H.B.- You may want to start a "poll" to see what date is good for everyone, same deal if you are considering a Pikeville meet for next year ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

It's way too early for me to be considering that, since I haven't even scouted and am not sure when I would be able to scout.

One thing's for sure, a Pikeville encore to drive the new four-lane will happen before anything in western Kentucky.

kharvey10

W. KY would be pair of US60 bridges over the lakes, I-69 progress, emphasis in the Paducah area where most of the recent action has been.  S. IL will likely be Marion/Carbondale around IL 13, I-57 in Marion, and maybe US 50 in Clay County that still has a few historic bridges still standing.

codyg1985

Going between I-69/Pennyrile Parkway and Marion, IL may be a bit of a stretch for one day. It might be something to consider to make this a two-day meet so that both areas can be covered.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

We'd be pressed for time in any western Kentucky meet I try to put together, so Paducah would be out.

I'm not sure if we'd meet for lunch and then go out on the road, or if we'd meet up somewhere and eat during the tour.

If the former, I'd like to do lunch at Patti's 1880s Settlement at Grand Rivers. I've never eaten there, but several relatives and friends have. Their pork chops have a stellar reputation.

If the latter, we'd meet up somewhere near Madisonville in the vicinity of the WK/Pennyrile interchange.

If leaving from there, the general route would be Pennyrile south, I-24 west. US 68 west, US 641 north, US 62 east, KY 453 to Grand Rivers; then back west on US 62, Purchase Parkway south, I-69 north back to Madisonville.

1995hoo

I have never been to Kentucky at all, so this sounds interesting if it doesn't conflict with the trip to either Europe or Quebec City/PEI we're planning for next year. (Yeah, I know those are wildly disparate destinations. Canada is the fallback if Europe doesn't work out.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.