Nashville meet in October or November?

Started by wriddle082, July 05, 2010, 05:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wriddle082

I was thinking about holding a meet in Nashville in either October or November.  It's been over six years since I hosted an official meet here.

The primary highlight would be the I-40 and Briley Pkwy/White Bridge Rd (TN 155) Phase II interchange reconstruction.  From there, we could either go south to scout out TN 840 construction (by way of the Natchez Trace Pkwy) or go north and check out the TN 386 extension to Gallatin and the nearby new alignment of TN 109 north.

I will know more about setting a firm date when I find out the exact date of a weeklong family vacation that is being planned for October.

Any thoughts?

hbelkins

You know I'll be there if at all possible. Nashville's an easy trip from here.

My recommendation would be in October, before the time changes. It'd give us an extra hour of daylight in which to see stuff.

I was actually giving some thought to doing something in Bowling Green to check out the construction on the Natcher Parkway extension, but I might save that for next spring. I've been doing a meet once every two years so I'll be due to host another one next year.

I think some of the hockey fans had floated the idea of a road trip to Nashville for a hockey game. Maybe you could coordinate the meet with that weekend so as to generate more attendance.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rawmustard

Quote from: hbelkins on July 05, 2010, 11:13:37 PM
I think some of the hockey fans had floated the idea of a road trip to Nashville for a hockey game. Maybe you could coordinate the meet with that weekend so as to generate more attendance.

I would be up for attending a hockey game in Nashville if we were to go on February 5, March 19, or April 2 (although the last would be least conducive to a Saturday meet as right now it has a 3 p.m. start). :p.

hbelkins

Quote from: rawmustard on July 06, 2010, 09:32:15 AM

I would be up for attending a hockey game in Nashville if we were to go on February 5, March 19, or April 2 (although the last would be least conducive to a Saturday meet as right now it has a 3 p.m. start). :p.

Two sports I can't get into: hockey and soccer.

froggie

Which weekend do the Canes play in Nashville?  That might be another date possibility...

rawmustard

Quote from: froggie on July 07, 2010, 05:25:16 PM
Which weekend do the Canes play in Nashville?  That might be another date possibility...

Well, Carolina is in Nashville December 4. If Billy wants to keep it within October or November, then the choices are the Ducks October 9, Froggie's very own Capitals on October 16, the Blackhawks November 13, and the Rangers November 27. Three of those dates fall near federal holidays, so you'll have that aspect to consider as well. (Even knowing that Columbus Day and Veterans Day are nowhere near as busy as Thanksgiving, it still helps in planning which vacation days for those that get said holidays).

froggie

QuoteFroggie's very own Capitals on October 16

Not my Caps.  I just live in the town.  My Wild don't play in Nashville until January.

CanesFan27

Canes play in Nashville on Saturday, December 4th (as Brian stated).  When the schedule came out, I immediately called Billy to say that Maggie and I may come out for that game. (Depends on if she is needed in Wake Forest or not that day.)

I do know that a number of other Canes Season Ticket holders and fans are making plans to go to that game - so if that comes to pass I could group anyone in with our tickets.

At worse if there isnt a meet, we all can just go to the game for the fun of it.  I've kinda been thinking of doing a hockey roadgeek day at Canes home game.  No real meet but anyone is welcome to come down, tailgate with us, and do roadgeeking on your own.  We've kinda have unofficially done that with a number of folks (froggie, Doug Kerr, Jeff Kitsko, Brian Polidoro, and Steve Alpert) in the past.

mightyace

As another local, any weekend would probably be fine.

If TN 840 doesn't make the "official" agenda, I'd be happy to host it as a side trip.  A lot of work has been completed in the last few months.  (and both my photo taking and posting are WAY behind).

I'll watch the Predators whoever they're playing.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

hbelkins

Oct. 9 would be a good day for a Nashville meet. The prior day is one of those that I will be off work involuntarily and without pay. So I could sleep late and then drive down to Nashville and get a room and sleep late on Saturday morning. :-)

codyg1985

October 9th would be a great day for me as well. Nashville would be super easy for me to get to.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mightyace

I don't see any problems right now.

Here's the major sports team statuses at this point:

Home:
10/9 Predators (NHL) vs. Anaheim 7pm CDT
10/9 Vanderbilt vs Eastern Michigan Time TBA (though as a likely day game, not compatible with the meet)

Away:
10/9 Tennessee State @  Southeast Missouri State
10/10 Titans @ Dallas

So, the Predators game looks like the best option.

wriddle082

Well stupid me, before I even bothered to look at this thread that I started nearly two months ago, Jason Ilyes and I just set a tentative date for the meet, and it is Saturday 11/6.  My wife is working that day, and I will probably be able to leave the little one with my dad and stepmother for a few hours.

I did check the football schedules, and the Vols are playing away at Memphis for a night game (possible Vols fans zipping down 40 westbound, shouldn't be an issue) and the 'Dores are playing at home against the Gaytors (no time given, a night game would be better for us, but game traffic will mostly not be too close to us during the meet).

There are a good selection of meeting places at the Nashville West shopping center (on US 70 (Charlotte Pike) and I-40 Exit 201, 3 miles west of the White Bridge Rd/Briley Pkwy interchange), such as Logan's Roadhouse, Red Robin, Buffalo Wild Wings, and Blue Coast Burrito.  Jim 'N Nick's BBQ and Cracker Barrel are also on Charlotte Pike on the other side of the freeway.  I could also throw out a couple of more local options of folks would prefer to avoid chains.

The main highlight would, of course, be the flyovers at I-40 and Briley/White Bridge.  After touring that area, we could possibly head west down 40 to TN 840 and check out some of the construction beyond TN 100.  Supposedly they are going to open up a few more miles of roadway from TN 100 to TN 46 by the end of the year.

I figured 11/6 would be a good date since that would give plenty of notice, but now that I'm relatively confident that I can have someone watch the kid for me during the meet (if it's on one of my wife's work days), I can go for any of those other dates.

You guys have really come up with some good ideas!

Adam, I will still want to do the hockey thing on December 6, assuming you and Maggie will still want to do it, and assuming I'm still in town by then.  There is a slight possibility that we may move (or that my job will move) by the end of November.  Give me a call sometime this weekend if you can and I'll explain.

(For those of you not aware, the Riddle clan is moving from Greater Nashville to Columbia, SC by the end of the year.  I'll try a Facebook post sometime in the future to explain.)

froggie

If I can pull it off, 11/6 would work.  The only workable alternative (based on the post JPI made on MTR) in my case would be 10/30.  Either way, I'd probably have to fly down.

CanesFan27

Billy,

Will do - the Canes/Preds game is a maybe...depends on where we are at with the new house.

mightyace

After touring 840,  we'd be in between Spring Hill and Franklin.

Spring Hill has blossomed greatly in the last few years, loss of Saturn not withstanding.  There are many eating establishments there now.  (Logan's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Cracker Barrel, Fulin Asian Cuisine, Appleby's, Olive Garden, etc.)

And, the Cool Springs area of Franklin is one of the major shopping hubs of Nashville and has all manor of places to eat.

Of course, we could start in Spring Hill and go the other way...  :sombrero:

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 01, 2010, 12:33:20 AM

I did check the football schedules, and the Vols are playing away at Memphis for a night game (possible Vols fans zipping down 40 westbound, shouldn't be an issue) and the 'Dores are playing at home against the Gaytors (no time given, a night game would be better for us, but game traffic will mostly not be too close to us during the meet).

Unless I was wearing a UK shirt!  :D

I figured 11/6 would be a good date since that would give plenty of notice, but now that I'm relatively confident that I can have someone watch the kid for me during the meet (if it's on one of my wife's work days), I can go for any of those other dates.

Not the best date for me, unfortunately. It's workable, but it'll be a stretch and I may end up only spending one night instead of two. Since Doug announced a Springfield, Mass. meet for the following weekend, and since I am off work Nov. 11 (Veterans Day) and Nov. 12 (involuntary furlough day), I figured I would attend that one. The back-to-back weekend meet thing I did last year in the fall was a bit much, and we are going to be moving to my dad's place sometime this fall, so I'll have to see how things work out. The two October alternative dates aren't great for me either. I was given the option of Friday, Oct. 8 or Monday, Oct. 11 for another involuntary furlough day and chose Friday the 8th. If the meet ends up being pushed up to one of the October alternate dates, I can see if they'll let me take another day for my furlough but I sincerely doubt if they will.

(For those of you not aware, the Riddle clan is moving from Greater Nashville to Columbia, SC by the end of the year.  I'll try a Facebook post sometime in the future to explain.

Hadn't heard this. This is news to me. You'll have to fill me in on the details. And I guess you'd better enjoy this Nashville meet since it's the last one you'll get to host!

tagfix

mightyace

Quote from: hbelkins on September 01, 2010, 05:33:51 PM
Hadn't heard this. This is news to me. You'll have to fill me in on the details. And I guess you'd better enjoy this Nashville meet since it's the last one you'll get to host!

Hopefully, I can take over afterwords.

Next logical time for one here will be once 840 is opened all the way on the west side.

ShawnP

Will have the Road Meet Virgin status broken. Wonder how close we can get to the new construction on 840 and we could also see the expansion on I-65 south of town.

ShawnP

As far as wearing a UK shirt.........two of us will be there wearing them. Go Cats beat that Ugly Orange.

wriddle082

Make that three folks wearing UK shirts, and I will be sure to wear mine all over the Palmetto State as much as I can get away with it!

That is, if *I* even get to go to the meet...

Last week, my company opened up new engineering positions pretty much all across the country, and I applied for the one that opened up in (you guessed it!) Columbia, SC.  Right now, "The New at&t" is on a major spending spree to upgrade their network, a spending spree unlike any other I have witnessed in the 13 years I have been in this line of work, and they are relying on one of their top vendors (us) to help pick up the slack where the other vendors simply can't keep up.  I had already made arrangements to keep my job and simply transfer to SC, but my superiors here in town advised me that I shouldn't pass up an opportunity to move up from installer because it would probably only come once, so I applied for the job.  I had my first telephone interview today, and they alluded that it is possible they want the position filled three weeks from now!  Now mind you, I haven't even began to pack up my house, much less fix it up to go on the market, but that starts this weekend because I promised our real estate agent that I could have everything ready for a yard sign in two months.  My family believes I shouldn't pass up an opportunity to make more money, so they are going to make it work if this all pans out.  I'll probably know the final verdict next week.

But enough about me, back to the meet (which I should continue to help plan as if everything is normal):  The TN 46 interchange with TN 840 is a nice quiet place to see construction since that area is still pretty rural (probably because it's at least 45 minutes from White Bridge Rd!).  From there, we could follow some of the other area backroads to make our way back to TN 246.  I'm sure this is where Mightace's expertise would come in to play since I assume he lives the closest to there.

mightyace

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 02, 2010, 10:53:03 PM
But enough about me, back to the meet (which I should continue to help plan as if everything is normal):  The TN 46 interchange with TN 840 is a nice quiet place to see construction since that area is still pretty rural (probably because it's at least 45 minutes from White Bridge Rd!).  From there, we could follow some of the other area backroads to make our way back to TN 246.  I'm sure this is where Mightace's expertise would come in to play since I assume he lives the closest to there.

Yes, I've been along most of the construction area as can be seen in my flickr photos.  (plus the hundreds that I haven't posted yet)  I've been on all the roads that cross 840 between TN 100 and TN SSR 46.  There's not much activity yet between 46 and Leipers Creek Road.  However from there to US 31 it's been very busy.  I go through at least some part of the construction area every day to/from work.

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 02, 2010, 10:53:03 PM

Last week, my company opened up new engineering positions pretty much all across the country, and I applied for the one that opened up in (you guessed it!) Columbia, SC.  Right now, "The New at&t" is on a major spending spree to upgrade their network, a spending spree unlike any other I have witnessed in the 13 years I have been in this line of work, and they are relying on one of their top vendors (us) to help pick up the slack where the other vendors simply can't keep up. 

See if you can talk them into expanding their coverage area where I live and work, and upgrading us to 3G! Trying to surf on an EDGE iPhone or iPad is downright painful.

froggie

IIRC, Billy mostly deals with wired networks.  LANs and fiber-optic and whatnot.

wriddle082

Your are correct Froggie, it is mostly wired networks, HOWEVER....

When we were working to restore the NSVLTNBV (Nashville-Bellevue) central office after 2' of water got into it on 5/2, I learned that a certain piece of equipment that I had installed several months prior had the sole purpose of providing 3G service to cell sites.  I had put in several of these before in other C.O.s, but had no idea what their purpose was.  Anyway, we were told by all of the at&t engineers what the equipment did and that it was important to get it back up and running so cell coverage could mostly be restored despite the fact that land line would take a few more days.  They got us a new shelf, we ran new fiber cables, most of the existing T1 cables were still good, so we put it all together and got it working!

Unfortunately, ADC (my company) is not the OTV (operating turf vendor) for any of the Kentucky districts, so I can't look at projects to know whether or not Beattyville is getting this equipment, and since the vendor up there changed from who it was 6 years ago (I worked for that vendor back then), I have no contacts up there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.