News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kentucky road meet for 2011

Started by hbelkins, January 15, 2011, 01:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following possibilities for a Kentucky meet in 2011 would interest you most?

Hopkinsville/Cadiz area (Pennyrile Pkwy extension and new US 68/KY 80 in LBL)
5 (55.6%)
Bowling Green (Natcher Pkwy extension)
0 (0%)
KY/WV/OH Tri-state area
4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 01, 2011, 01:43:30 PM

hbelkins

Since I have been having meets biennially, it's time for me to do another one. I've basically narrowed a potential meet's location and scope to three choices. What I am looking for are suggestions for other things we could see to push one meet site above the pack.

Option 1 is in the Hopkinsville/Cadiz area of southwestern Kentucky. Primary focus would be the Pennyrile Parkway extension from Alt. US 41 to I-24, and a trip out to Land Between The Lakes to see the new four-lane US 68/KY 80 and the old bridges that are scheduled to be replaced. Suggestions or recommendations on anything else in this area (which includes Clarksville, Tenn.) are appreciated.

Option 2 is Bowling Green, Ky. Really the only active major construction project here is the extension of the William H. Natcher Parkway south from I-65 to US 231, and a SPUI in a rural area as part of that extension. We could also drive the western bypass of downtown which now carries US 68, but there isn't a lot else to see here as part of a meet so any suggestions are very welcome. Attendees could visit the Corvette Museum on their own if they wished before or after the meet.

Option 3 is what would be, AFAIK, the first-ever tri-state meet in the Ashland, KY/Chesapeake, OH/Huntington, WV area. (Unless David Backlin beats me to it with a Texarkana meet, and I don't think sitting on the NJ/NY/PA tri-point marker as part of the Milford-Upper Delaware Valley meet counts  :-D ). Not a lot of active construction here, but some interesting stub ends, the cable-stayed East End Bridge, a new section of OH 7, and an assortment of odds and ends. This one is closest to where I live and is in an area with which I'm most familiar and would require little scouting except to drive the proposed tour route in order to time it. I envision meeting and eating in Ashland.

Advice and suggestions are welcome. I'd probably do this meet in May or June, depending on the scheduling of other meets I might want to attend.  I'd prefer to stay away from Mother's Day or Father's Day, and of course Memorial Day would be out.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

I would say either Option 1 or 3.  3 is much closer, but 1 is more interesting because I want to see Land Between the Lakes (especially while the bridges are still there).  2 doesn't sound like there's enough going on, though.

(Already planning my route - would involve most of I-71 and the entire W KY Pkwy. to try to make time)

hbelkins

If I do the Pennyrile extension, I'd envision meeting and eating at Hopkinsville or the Ft. Campbell area, depending on restaurant options.

mightyace

If we do Western KY meeting at Hopkinsville or Ft. Campbell, I'm definitely there.  That's only about a 2-3 hour drive for me.  (The same is true for Bowling Green, though that seems unlikely.)

I don't know about the Tri-Sate option.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

hbelkins

Scouted a potential KY/WV/OH meet today and am leaning toward doing this, as opposed to the other options since I probably won't have a chance to get out to the western part of the state and scout them, but although not until July or August. It'll be pretty easy to throw together if/when I do decide to host it, and I'll try to give at least two months' notice in order for folks to try to plan for it. Those months are usually pretty barren for meets and although it's usually hotter than hell in the Ohio Valley during those months, we'd be spending most of our time in the vehicles so the heat shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.