News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Kalamazoo-area roadgeek meet: 10/22 11 am

Started by rawmustard, August 16, 2011, 01:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawmustard

Yes, my friends, the Kalamazoo meet is a go! The venue I've chosen is:

Old Chicago
5314 S Westnedge Ave
Portage, MI 49002 (most of you should figure this out, but do not rely on the map shown on OC's page, as it's obviously incorrect at the time of posting)
(foursquare venue)

The things we'll see include:

1. I-94 expansion, including the Westnedge SPUI (scheduled to be complete in November). Since we're dining only two blocks from it, we can go check out the SPUI before we hop in cars for the rest of the tour.

2. Kalamazoo Mall. The nation's first pedestrian mall, although a one-lane street was built between Michigan ...and Lovell (intersection shown in event photo) after voters narrowly approved a referendum in 1997 (after narrowly rejecting a referendum a year or two before). Route clinchers should note that we'll most likely clinch M-331 on the way from the restaurant.

3. Arboretum Parkway. This was built primarily to serve Linden Grove Middle School. A dumbbell roundabout was built last year at the Howard/Kendall/Solon so traffic coming from Western Michigan's campus could access the new street.

4. Parkview bridge over US-131. This was the first bridge in the state built with pre-cast concrete parts. Sensors are installed in the deck in order to monitor stress levels.

5. I-94/US-131 interchange. This includes a new under-over ramp for the southbound-to-eastbound movement. We'll use that ramp to drive on I-94 for the length of the widening project before heading back to the restaurant.

Getting to Old Chicago: Unless the SPUI project finishes early, the Westnedge interchange is likely to still be closed the day of the meet. Drivers coming from the west (including those coming on US-131 from either direction) will want to use Exit 75 (Oakland Dr), proceed north approximately 1/2 mile on Oakland to Kilgore, turn right (east) on Kilgore and proceed to Westnedge and turn right (south). At the next light south (Market Pl/Andy Ave), you should see Old Chicago on the right. You can enter OC's parking lot from the first driveway south of the intersection. Drivers coming from the east will want to use Exit 78 (the WB offramp merges into WB Kilgore Rd). Proceed west on Kilgore to Westnedge, turn left (south), then follow as I have instructed those coming from the west. If you need any other directions to get there, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Also, if anyone is coming into town the night before or staying for the night afterward, the area has a plethora of nightlife spots. I'd be more than happy to discuss them if you want.

If you're on Facebook, you can head to the FB event page and RSVP. If not, contact me and let me know you want to come if you can. I know I'd like to call ahead if we get a significant number, so let me know by October 20 at the latest.

--Fixed 2nd Old Chicago link for ya, it was coming up as page not found :D --ms
Those second links are redundant anyway. Figures I'd miss them in the c/p job. -OP :p

SSOWorld

I will be in a money crunch between now and November (existing plans notwithstanding) so I will have to take a pass.

Did you come up with the place before or after stopping at the place in my town? :P :)

EDIT: I probably will keep my options open on this one.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

I have to pass on this one, as well. Wife will be traveling that weekend so I'll be critter-sitting.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Sounds like fun.  I think i can be there.  11am EST?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

rawmustard

Quote from: Brandon on August 16, 2011, 09:02:30 PM
Sounds like fun.  I think i can be there.  11am EST?

Yep, 11 Eastern. (We'll still be in DST, though.)

rawmustard

You all now can see a Google map(!) with points of interest. I gave my planned route a test run today and it clocked in at about 45 minutes, so figure to add 5-10 minutes for any stops we make and that should give you an idea just how long our tour should run.

mtantillo

Might give this one a try, seeing as I've been "claiming" Michigan all these years even though I've never been more than 100 feet into the state! 

getemngo

Since I've made it to every Michigan meet since December 2008, it's a given that I'll be there.

*except semi-official meals  :)
~ Sam from Michigan

rawmustard

Just thought I'd make the one-month-out reminder. Ideally I would like to have a headcount (especially if it's 10+) to give to Old Chicago by the Wednesday or Thursday before the meet (basically what I said in the OP), so there's still time for those thinking about it to make a decision either way.

rawmustard

It's hard to believe that my meet is this Saturday. I look forward to showing off my hometown to visitors. Also, remember to check the map I posted (link upthread) since I doubt I'll have time to make hard-copies of the itinerary.

A.J. Bertin

I can't wait! It will be nice to attend a road meet in the town where I went to college. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

This was a fun meet, thanks again...

BTW, SEND HELP.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadgeek Adam

So "Send Help" has made it to Michigan.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Dougtone

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 24, 2011, 02:57:17 PM
So "Send Help" has made it to Michigan.

The SEND HELP sign has also made it to a wedding in North Carolina, a small-time chant during a NHL game and even has its own Facebook page.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.