News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Canada's Capital Region Road Meet - 25th August 2012

Started by Dr Frankenstein, June 05, 2012, 11:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compulov

Glad I decided to check this forum. Late August or September works for us, since we'll be moving mid-August. My girlfriend asked me a day or two ago if there were any meets in Canada coming up. She's not that much of a road enthusiast herself, but she likes travelling, so it's win-win. :)

yanksfan6129

It's August 25th or bust for me, still. So let me know.

Alps

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on July 16, 2012, 09:57:52 PM
It's August 25th or bust for me, still. So let me know.
Me too. I have August 24th open, but plans filling in quickly.

Roadgeek Adam

Two Canadian meets within 2 weeks? Just a little worrysome
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

hbelkins

Y'all can remove the first two July options from the list of possible dates, unless they're meant for July 2013. Just sayin...  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

HB, keep in mind the poll was created in mid-June.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on July 17, 2012, 05:56:33 AM
HB, keep in mind the poll was created in mid-June.

I know, but they could at least keep the poll current and cull the dates that have already passed. Or does the ability to edit a poll not exist?

vdeane

August 25 is probably best for me too since the upstate NY road meet (I believe Binghamton this year) is usually in September, and WCKN Hockey broadcasts start September 29.

Quote from: hbelkins on July 16, 2012, 10:39:59 PM
Y'all can remove the first two July options from the list of possible dates, unless they're meant for July 2013. Just sayin...  :bigass:
No, we'll just use time travel! ;)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

I believe August 25 is the date - look for an announcement soon

AsphaltPlanet

I can't go that date, but I suppose that isn't a huge deal.  I have seen a lot in the Ottawa region this summer.  Thinking about it, I'd probably be more interested in a later date anyways, once the 417 extension and Autoroute 50 projects have both been fully completed.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Dr Frankenstein

I think it's best for both most people and me that the meet take place on the 25th of August, so it'll be. I have an unplanned-as-of-yet trip to NC that may happen at any time in September.

I'm looking at options for a restaurant, lodging and route, and I'll set up a facebook page tomorrow.

We're switching from "Planning a date" to "Taking RSVPs" now.

vdeane

This is getting interesting: looks like the WCKN plans for coming back early are starting to fall through (no freshmen signed up for our pre-orientation activity), so I might not be able to make it after all.  Clarkson's very restrictive about coming back early due to all the construction.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cu2010

Quote from: deanej on July 18, 2012, 10:38:19 AM
This is getting interesting: looks like the WCKN plans for coming back early are starting to fall through (no freshmen signed up for our pre-orientation activity), so I might not be able to make it after all.  Clarkson's very restrictive about coming back early due to all the construction.

Just say you're coming back early for "work days" to get stuff ready for the new year...we did it all the time with no problems. :)

I'm unlikely to be able to make it, sadly...won't have an EDL in time and my work schedule is a bitch...not like I haven't been there before anyways...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Alps

Waiting on the FB page / restaurant... want to figure out whether to stay in Ontario or Quebec... Also, start a new topic here and then open a poll to help with RSVPs.

vdeane

Quote from: cu2010 on July 19, 2012, 11:00:15 PM
Quote from: deanej on July 18, 2012, 10:38:19 AM

Just say you're coming back early for "work days" to get stuff ready for the new year...we did it all the time with no problems. :)

I'm unlikely to be able to make it, sadly...won't have an EDL in time and my work schedule is a bitch...not like I haven't been there before anyways...
There might be other stuff that gets done early since we were originally planning on coming back half a week before pre-orientation to get the fall planned out.  Clarkson is getting very stingy with coming back early though, due to Woodstock and parts of Moore being unavailable for housing until classes start.

Alps

Quote from: Steve on July 20, 2012, 12:30:39 AM
Waiting on the FB page / restaurant... want to figure out whether to stay in Ontario or Quebec... Also, start a new topic here and then open a poll to help with RSVPs.
Facebook page created: http://www.facebook.com/events/450706798297179
Adding a new poll here for RSVP.

EDIT: Removing poll because you can't see individual responses. If you can't RSVP on facebook, just type it here.

deathtopumpkins

I can tentatively go. I would need some place to stay the night before and after though, so if anyone has a room to share...

Does anyone know whether or not it would be a good idea to drive up Saturday morning since it's at noon? Google says it's over 7 hours for me which would mean leaving at probably 4 AM or earlier.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 21, 2012, 09:23:51 AM
I can tentatively go. I would need some place to stay the night before and after though, so if anyone has a room to share...

Does anyone know whether or not it would be a good idea to drive up Saturday morning since it's at noon? Google says it's over 7 hours for me which would mean leaving at probably 4 AM or earlier.
I leave for roadtrips at 4 AM, so I'm a bad person to ask.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Steve on July 21, 2012, 04:07:37 PM

My typical leaving time for major trips (like the countless VA-MA trips I used to do) was 3am, but that was a much longer drive and was all I did that day - I wasn't expected to be coherent when I arrived. That's probably what I'll end up doing though.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

hbelkins

I used to, until I got paranoid about hitting a deer while driving. But after hitting two in less than three months, both in broad daylight, maybe I need to revisit that hesitancy to drive in the pre-dawn hours.

oscar

I suggest allowing a little extra time in case a border agent (who might be more awake than you are) does the math, finds something suspicious in your getting up so early to make the trip, and decides to do a vehicle search.  The ones I've been through took 20 minutes, tops.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

yanksfan6129

Quote from: oscar on July 22, 2012, 02:32:45 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 21, 2012, 10:59:07 PM

My typical leaving time for major trips (like the countless VA-MA trips I used to do) was 3am, but that was a much longer drive and was all I did that day - I wasn't expected to be coherent when I arrived. That's probably what I'll end up doing though.

I suggest allowing a little extra time in case a border agent (who might be more awake than you are) does the math, finds something suspicious in your getting up so early to make the trip, and decides to do a vehicle search.  The ones I've been through took 20 minutes, tops.

Speaking of such things (and I know that we've already sort of beaten this topic to death in this forum), but what is an adequate thing to say to customs?

My plan is to say, when he asks where I'm going and what I'm doing, that I'm going up to Ottawa to meet friends.

Alps

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on July 22, 2012, 02:00:48 PM
Speaking of such things (and I know that we've already sort of beaten this topic to death in this forum), but what is an adequate thing to say to customs?

My plan is to say, when he asks where I'm going and what I'm doing, that I'm going up to Ottawa to meet friends.
That's what I'm doing. I'll be there for a weekend to meet friends and see the capital, then come back through Montreal. That's all he needs to know or cares about, that I have a plan that makes sense.

deathtopumpkins

That's what I was planning on saying - meeting friends in Ottawa. Dunno how it could really draw suspicion.

As for leaving time to get across the border, I don't think it'll be that bad since I'll be there early in the morning and was planning on using a minor crossing.

vdeane

They sometimes get suspicious if all you're doing is going there, visiting friends, and going back the same day, especially for a location of Boston.  They even got suspicious when I went from Potsdam to Montreal for that mini-meet (granted, a full roadmeet is longer, I was crossing at Ogdensburg instead of Cornwall, I'm 21 without a job, and I haven't crossed the border on my own often enough to know how to talk to customs agents).

Also of note, I've heard that using a minor crossing in and of itself will raise suspicion if you don't live there (does anyone else hate the fact that Canada asks "where do you live" instead of "where are you coming from"? If those are different, there's pretty much nothing you can do without misleading the customs agent or providing information you weren't asked for, both of which are bad).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.