News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana/Mississippi Road Meet

Started by mcdonaat, July 05, 2012, 12:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If wanting to attend a New Orleans-area road meet, what would be the best time?

October 13
October 27
November 2
November 9

mcdonaat

EDIT: A Southern road meet is in the plans! I would like to meet with everyone in Shreveport or New Orleans (waiting on feedback to see where to put it.) Two possible plans are below.

1) If we meet in Shreveport, I would like to take a trip down US 71, stopping at the Bossier Parish Line, then in Coushatta at the Red River, down to Clarence for lunch at a barbecue place that's been there since the fourties, and over through Natchitoches and over to Mansfield, following US 171 back to Shreveport. All of the population areas have fast food and gas stations, as expected. It's a trip down two alignments of the old Jefferson Highway!

2) If we meet in New Orleans, I would like to travel up US 51, taking photos of abandoned highway chunks, and of course the southern terminus of US 51. We would go across the Manchac up to Kentwood, over on LA 10 to Mississippi, and then down US 11 across the 1920's Maestri bridge. Lunch and dinner could be planned in New Orleans or Slidell, and about two U.S. highway ends would be covered, along with two Interstate highway ends.

Both routes are VERY scenic, and photo stops would be a key part of the trip! Both are hilly, with North Louisiana having steep hills and valleys, while Southeast Louisiana has the lakes and swamps.

I'm now shooting for a September meet, instead of mid-fall, as it would interfere with Birmingham, two states over.

Let me know in the comments about any additional ideas!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 05, 2012, 12:43:35 AM
Just wanted to gauge the opinion on a southern road meet. It would follow the old Jefferson Highway from New Orleans to Shreveport, the Dixie Overland Highway to US 29/31 to Pensacola, then back along the Old Spanish Trail. A shorter version would be Jeff Hwy to DOH to US 51 down to New Orleans, then over on 190 to US 11, south into New Orleans. I'm shooting for a Mid-October meet, so that the weather is crisp and cool. I have no maple syrup, like Steve, so I will supplement syrup with maps of the routes traveled from before the 1955 Louisiana renumbering, on full-size drafting paper.
If you are going to organize a meet, you will need to do the following:
1) locate somewhere folks can meet. Parking and available lunch should be preferable qualities.
2) Your trip should take only 3-5 hrs.
3) Have multiple stops along your tour. This allows for folks to re-orient themselves, stretch their legs, use facilities, and take photos.
I highly recommend that you re-examine your proposal if you wish others to tag along with you.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jpi

Also keep in mind the Birmingham, AL road meet is in mid October too.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Stick with Shreveport. New Orleans meet can wait till after the Huey Long Bridge rebuild is finished.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Weekend of Sept 7th, 14th or 21st would probably work for me  Shreveport would be no problem. New Orleans might be a stretch for me.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mcdonaat

How about we set it for one of the first three weekends? An idea would be to head down US 71 to Coushatta instead of Clarence, over on the Red River bridge, then up to Shreveport. My original trek covered more of the Jefferson Highway, but with no stops, it takes 4 hours. Another viable option would be on US 80 into Texas, US 59 to Texarkana, then US 71 back down. Hopefully, by then, some sections of I-49 will be open, supposedly with the number 3290 as the route number.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 10, 2012, 06:20:00 PM
It looks like driving on the paved segments of I-49 North is an option if a Texarkana meet comes together.  Today, I spoke with Susan Stafford, a LaDOTD Public Information Officer.  She gave a tentative OK to the notion of meet attendees driving on the paved I-49 North, but there would be some bureaucratic prerequisites: (1) names of all attendees, (2) all attendees sign a liability waiver, (3) license plate numbers of all cars that will be driven on I-49 North, and (4) sufficient lead time to get (1)-(3) accomplished.  I told her a possible meet would occur sometime in the Spring to early Fall time frame, and provided a rough estimate of 10-12 attendees.

She was amused by the term "roadgeek", said that she has driven it herself 3 to 4 times, and that it is "really cool" to drive on the deserted interstate.  If a meet comes together, I would be happy to assist with the bureaucratic stuff associated with this beforehand.  If the general feeling is that the bureaucratic stuff would kill the fun, I would completely understand.
(above quote from 2012 meets? thread)
Quote from: mcdonaat on July 06, 2012, 11:56:51 PM
US 59 to Texarkana, then US 71 back down. Hopefully, by then, some sections of I-49 will be open, supposedly with the number 3290 as the route number.

If I-49 North is not open by then, my offer to help with coordination of driving on the unopened Segments A-D still holds - it's just that Shreveport would be the base instead of Texarkana.  Pick a date; I'll try to make it. If not, I can still help with the I-49 North part of it. 

mcdonaat

Go for it!! Ms. Stafford is the one I usually contact to complain about the signs being messed up and the roads numbered wrong. I'm heading to the DOTD on Thursday to pick up the plans for I-49 North, since they're available for reprints.

I'll check and see when I can request being off from work. I would say that September 14th would be the best date to schedule a meet. Texarkana is an awesome city, and even if it's going up US 71 first and then down through Texas, it would work. I just want to dip into Texas for a short distance, so that we all can question why Texas has 70MPH on their two-lanes, while Louisiana has 55MPH. I've also seen these neat concrete markers with the state names on them. Just let me get this warrant cleared before I give out my name and plate number!

Grzrd

^ I'll call her this week, try to get a sense that LaDOTD Legal is still on board, and tell her that we are aiming for early September.  I will update after I speak with her.

Also, in Texarkana, I would not mind driving the US 59/ Future I-x69 segment.  In about 18 months, it may hold the record for the signed disconnected "child" that is the greatest distance from its signed "parent".  :-D

mcdonaat

My secondary reason for Arkansas is so that I can buy lotto tickets ^_^ too young here in Louisiana to get em. I-X69 would be awesome to drive, and for that matter, Texarkana could be a good place for a lunch break.

Darkchylde

Shreveport would be too far away and too short notice to make. The New Orleans itinerary might be more doable.

mcdonaat

The only problem about New Orleans is that it's all urbanized, and no true road geek stuff, in my opinion. The Rigolettes have been replaced, the Maestri bridge has lost any glory it had, and Mandeville is having more state highways removed per capita than any other city.

froggie

Just because it's "all urbanized" doesn't mean that there isn't road-worthy stuff to look at.  For examples, the new I-10/Causeway ramps, progress on the Huey Long Bridge, and plenty of old signs.

Also, the new Rigolets bridge was the site of a road meet back in 2008, but there were several who missed out on it then (thanks in part to Gustav).

Alex

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 09, 2012, 02:22:25 AM
The only problem about New Orleans is that it's all urbanized, and no true road geek stuff, in my opinion. The Rigolettes have been replaced, the Maestri bridge has lost any glory it had, and Mandeville is having more state highways removed per capita than any other city.

I always find road things to see and check out when in NO. Still working on clinching all of the surface routes for instance. US 61's south end is there. The circle interchange between Causeway Boulevard and Airline Highway, the Earhart Expressway (LA-3139), etc.

Lou and I rode over to New Orleans one afternoon in 2010 and opted for surface roads only through the city. Just stumbled across a few of these things doing that:

Taking LA 47 until its signage disappeared, Hayne Boulevard meets flyovers at Lakefront Airport connecting with adjacent Leon C. Simon Drive. Never knew about these until we rode this route.

Leon C. Simon Drive widens out to accommodate an unbuilt interchange with Press Drive. The mainline uses the ramps and stubs are visible.

City installed overheads for the five point intersection of St. Bernard, Desaix and Gentilly.

Movable span along LA 46 (St. Claude Avenue) over the Inner Harbor Navigational Canal. Dig the split lane configuration.

If I were to make it to one of your road meets, it would be the NO one. Shreveport is out of range.

US71

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 09, 2012, 02:22:25 AM

NOLA would be a little out of my range, but even urbanized areas have Road Geek stuff. You just have to look harder ;)

Like this somewhat complicated signal arrangement at Tulane & Broad Streets  http://goo.gl/maps/LCyX

mcdonaat

Seems like New Orleans and Shreveport are the two things that people are split on. I would love to do a New Orleans meet whenever the HPL is finished, and snag photos of the ends of US highways (11, 51, and 61, along with the Jeff Hwy). Trips down Interstates 3-/5-/6-/910 would also be pretty nice, since each one is unique.

Grzrd

Segments B-D of I-49 North are not scheduled to be opened to traffic until Spring, which provides a good cushion of time to drive A-D. Maybe do NOLA in September and then gauge interest for Shreveport/Texarkana area for later in Fall or maybe even early Winter.

US71

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 09, 2012, 01:53:27 PM
Seems like New Orleans and Shreveport are the two things that people are split on. I would love to do a New Orleans meet whenever the HPL is finished, and snag photos of the ends of US highways (11, 51, and 61, along with the Jeff Hwy). Trips down Interstates 3-/5-/6-/910 would also be pretty nice, since each one is unique.

Split the difference: meet in Alexandria :p

mcdonaat

Quote from: US71 on July 09, 2012, 04:22:52 PM

But that's no fun!! Other than the use of Clearview/FHWA hybrid signs, and the rerouting of state highways, nothing fun is there. I've grown up in Alexandria my whole life :P.

Shreveport it is in the fall, and New Orleans in the spring!

US71

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 09, 2012, 05:19:04 PM
Quote from: US71 on July 09, 2012, 04:22:52 PM

But that's no fun!! Other than the use of Clearview/FHWA hybrid signs, and the rerouting of state highways, nothing fun is there. I've grown up in Alexandria my whole life :P.

I found a couple old bridges last time I was there (2011) ;)

mcdonaat

Other than the bridges on US 71, name them to me :P nothing is old there! Every trace of the Jefferson Highway is being removed except for the JH bridge over the railroad south of US 167 in Tioga.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 07, 2012, 12:16:19 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on January 10, 2012, 06:20:00 PM
It looks like driving on the paved segments of I-49 North is an option if a Texarkana meet comes together.  Today, I spoke with Susan Stafford, a LaDOTD Public Information Officer.
If I-49 North is not open by then, my offer to help with coordination of driving on the unopened Segments A-D still holds.
Quote from: mcdonaat on July 07, 2012, 12:38:14 AM
Go for it!! Ms. Stafford is the one I usually contact to complain about the signs being messed up and the roads numbered wrong.

I just got off of the phone with Susan Stafford.  LaDOTD would allow the group to drive Segments A-B on September 14 (approximately 6 miles) because those segments are already striped, etc.  LaDOTD is currently in the midst of a lawsuit with the contractor for Segments C-D; they will not give the group permission for those segments because they do not want the contractor to be able to assert that any screw-ups were a result of the group's drive (ultra-cautious legal posture).

She mentioned that the "grand opening" for Segments B-I (Segment A will have to wait until AHTD finishes their section to the state line) now looks like it will occur in Summer 2013.  She could not commit, but she strongly hinted that it might be possible to drive more segments in Spring 2013.

I'm going to wait until Spring 2013 for a drive on I-49 North, and will stay in touch with Ms. Stafford in that regard.  Given that Segments A-I constitute about thirty miles of highway, that may be enough in itself to justify a meet!

Above said, Ms. Stafford is emailing me liability waiver forms, etc.  I'd still be happy to assist with the logistics of a September Shreveport meet for a Segments A-B drive.  Just let me know.

jpi

Agreed Froggie, despite Gustav, Steph and I had a nice weekend in New Orleans and believe me, it is a road geek play land (for me at least it was) with all of the bridges and urban freeways, I loved it and would like to get back down that way again at some point in the next couple years.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

mcdonaat

Sounds like we can do a road meet in Spetember for New Orleans, and Shreveport in the spring. I'd say September 15 is the ideal Saturday, and we can explore the Huey P Long, redone Maestri, and clinch I-3/5/6/910 in the process, and the end of I-59. The old Pearl River bridges are a sight to see, and the original route of US 90 through Slidell is an option. Might dip into Miss too!

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 13, 2012, 12:27:39 PM
I just got off of the phone with Susan Stafford.  LaDOTD would allow the group to drive Segments A-B on September 14 .... I'm going to wait until Spring 2013 for a drive on I-49 North, and will stay in touch with Ms. Stafford in that regard .... I'd still be happy to assist with the logistics of a September Shreveport meet for a Segments A-B drive.  Just let me know.
Quote from: mcdonaat on July 20, 2012, 12:50:46 AM
Sounds like we can do a road meet in Spetember for New Orleans, and Shreveport in the spring.

Since a possible Shreveport meet has been postponed until the spring, I have communicated with Ms. Stafford and informed her that we will not try to do an organized group drive in September.  She suggested that I loop back with her in February and see what could be arranged in the spring; I will follow that suggestion and post possible drives, dates, etc. around that time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.