Saturday, March 23, 2012
Time: 12 pm
------------------------------

Monticello Diner
405 Broadway
Monticello, New York 12701
Phone #: 845-791-8934
------------------------------

The meet I intend to hold this year, going to be a small one because the Binghamton meet later this year will do more work on NY 17, but the idea is that we'll see the reconstructed Exit 106, follow old NY 17 through Sullivan County, see the new Parksville Bypass and the former alignment, then see some old bridges on the Delaware and some covered ones.

RSVP is by March 21. I can be contacted by email at richardpetty43@msn.com.

The corresponding FB event is at http://www.facebook.com/events/136303399868054/

This meet will not go late into the day because the driving distances are short between stops, but there is the idea that I will shift this to 11 if requested.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

SSOWorld

Gotta pass.  Probably still be shaking off the jet lag.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 02, 2013, 03:23:29 AM
Gotta pass.  Probably still be shaking off the jet lag.
Where and when will you be?

SSOWorld

don't know when yet - but will be in Germany.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

I learned something interesting last night. When you are invited to a public event on Facebook and you post a response on the event page, all your friends see it just the same as if you posted it on your wall. So I may end up declining the FB event, but that will have no bearing on my attendance.

I am saying "maybe" at this point just to cover myself, but my intent is to attend this meet. Just have to determine where I want to stay Friday and Saturday nights, and what route I want to take.

Monticello has three hotels, according to Trip Advisor, and all three are overpriced dumps. I am anticipating clinching US 209 in Pennsylvania on the way up (I already have from I-80 north to the state line) and have to determine if I want to stay in Middletown on Friday night and elsewhere on Saturday night, or possible the Scranton area both nights.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

You have mentioned the possibility of a short tour. Do you have any idea yet about what time it will be over? I need to try to figure out how much daylight I will have left after the meet breaks up for driving, so I know how much territory I can cover on the trip back home.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: hbelkins on February 16, 2013, 08:50:23 PM
You have mentioned the possibility of a short tour. Do you have any idea yet about what time it will be over? I need to try to figure out how much daylight I will have left after the meet breaks up for driving, so I know how much territory I can cover on the trip back home.

I picture no later than 4 or 5 barring any interruptions. There are places for those not able to finish to turn early.
Adam Seth Moss

hbelkins

A 5 p.m. ending would definitely allow me to get to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area before dark. Might even be able to get some additional mileage under my belt. I imagine the trip home will be pretty much direct and without detours.

empirestate

Well, I had thought about potentially being able to make it to this one, but now it turns out I will be in Texas...

Don't forget to check out the Hawk's Nest on NY 97 if you have the time!

Laura

I don't usually work Saturdays but may need to work this one :(

hbelkins

Staying Thursday night in Staunton, Va., and Friday night in the Middletown/Goshen, NY area. Probably won't get much farther than Scranton after the meet on Saturday.

vdeane

Can't believe this is less than two weeks away already... winter went by fast this year!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dr Frankenstein

My attendance is still not confirmed, as meets overlapping with the ski season are hard to deal with for me (skiing takes precedence, so you guys will have to hope for heavy rain in my area or something.)

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: deanej on March 11, 2013, 12:04:49 PM
Can't believe this is less than two weeks away already... winter went by fast this year!

Yeah, well, March 23-ish always seems to come fast. :)
Adam Seth Moss

hbelkins

By the way, I'm not confirming my attendance on Facebook. But I do plan to attend and will let you (Adam) know here or elsewhere if I can't make it.

Because of the way FB events are set up, today I learned the mailing addresses of a whole lot of my friends who RSVP'd to a wedding that was set up as an event on FB.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on March 11, 2013, 11:17:48 PM
By the way, I'm not confirming my attendance on Facebook. But I do plan to attend and will let you (Adam) know here or elsewhere if I can't make it.

Because of the way FB events are set up, today I learned the mailing addresses of a whole lot of my friends who RSVP'd to a wedding that was set up as an event on FB.
Standard FB protocol: if you have to tell anyone anything private, send it in a direct message. If you comment or post anywhere, expect it to be read by anyone.

hbelkins

Oh, I know. I don't think a lot of people realize that if you post on someone's wall ^H^H^H^H^H^H timeline, all your mutual friends can see it.

Events are trickier. If they are public events, everyone can see it. If they're restricted to the other two settings, that limits who can see them.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on February 17, 2013, 12:15:50 AM

I picture no later than 4 or 5 barring any interruptions. There are places for those not able to finish to turn early.
If I ultimately decide to go, I may have to do similar due to an evening commitment I have in Langhorne, PA around 7-7:30 PM.  According to the Bing Maps - Driving Directions and using the diner as a starting point, the listed travel time is just over 2-1/2 hours; meaning I can only stay until 4:30-5.

Monticello's about a 3-1/2 hour, one-way drive from where I reside.

I will keep you posted.  Note: similar to HB, I will likely respond (or at least give more descriptive info.) here rather than the FB invite.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 12, 2013, 12:55:03 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on February 17, 2013, 12:15:50 AM

If I ultimately decide to go, I may have to do similar due to an evening commitment I have in Langhorne, PA around 7-7:30 PM.  According to the Bing Maps - Driving Directions and using the diner as a starting point, the listed travel time is just over 2-1/2 hours; meaning I can only stay until 4:30-5.

Monticello's about a 3-1/2 hour, one-way drive from where I reside.

I will keep you posted.  Note: similar to HB, I will likely respond (or at least give more descriptive info.) here rather than the FB invite.

Alright.
Adam Seth Moss

vdeane

Just an FYI, NY 42 by the diner appears to be a divided highway.

Also, I'm thinking about what I'm going to do for dinner on the way back.  Thinking of stopping somewhere in Binghamton (somewhere where eating on my own wouldn't be a problem).  May also check out some state highways along the NY 17 corridor if I have time.

Also: tried to post this to Facebook, but couldn't for some reason.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

What's the weather forecast for Saturday for Monticello?

Roadgeek Adam

As of right now, clear 39F. Can change in 6 days though.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: deanej on March 17, 2013, 05:53:12 PM

I don't know where you are seeing this, NY 42 is a normal road through Monticello.
Adam Seth Moss

dgolub

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 18, 2013, 08:20:49 AM

I don't know where you are seeing this, NY 42 is a normal road through Monticello.

Actually, looking at it on the satellite view in Google Maps, it does appear that there are a few blocks of Broadway that have a divider just before it turns north onto Pleasant Street.

vdeane

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 18, 2013, 08:20:49 AM

As was mentioned, the Google Satellite View.  The Bing Aerial (but not Bird's Eye) shows it too.  Street View shows massive construction along that portion of NY 42, so I'm guessing that it's a recent change.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.