News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2020 meets

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 01, 2019, 09:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Well, there's only 5 months left of 2019 so I figured it wouldn't hurt to start a thread where various meets for 2020 are discussed/proposed. These are the meets we've heard about so far that sound like they are at least being seriously considered:

• Outer Banks (NC) "city meet" - April 25
  • Cincinnati (OH) - May 30
  • Sauk Valley (IL) - June 27
  • Utica (NY) - May 9 July 18
  • Morris County (NJ) - August 1
  • La Crosse/Winona (WI/MN) - August 22
  • San Antonio (TX) - October 3
  • Kansas City (MO/KS) - October 17
  • Greensboro (NC) - November 14

Am I forgetting any? I'm sure that quite a few meets will be added to this list in the upcoming months.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

OBX won!! Wow, what a fun contest.
I'd love for Tokyo to be real, but I doubt it's happening in 2020. It's going to need awhile to pull together. I don't see Fort Worth happening either, just one Texas meet.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'll have a thread concerning an "Ohio" meet, here.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Brandon

Well, you can add my Sauk Valley Meet to this list for 2020.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=25467.0
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Brandon on August 03, 2019, 11:54:33 AM
Well, you can add my Sauk Valley Meet to this list for 2020.

Done. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

I've been tossing around the idea of a Berkshires meet (or at least mini-meet) for over a year now. The big question with hosting that is "is there enough concentrated in one area to include on a meet tour?" Said meet may involve the abandoned runaway truck ramps near the former Yankee Rowe nuclear plant, old signs/bridges near the Hoosac Tunnel, and the Mohawk Trail. An "April Fools" meet based out of Cummington with a different set of Berkshires sights is another possibility.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on August 04, 2019, 04:54:55 PM
I've been tossing around the idea of a Berkshires meet (or at least mini-meet) for over a year now. The big question with hosting that is "is there enough concentrated in one area to include on a meet tour?" Said meet may involve the abandoned runaway truck ramps near the former Yankee Rowe nuclear plant, old signs/bridges near the Hoosac Tunnel, and the Mohawk Trail. An "April Fools" meet based out of Cummington with a different set of Berkshires sights is another possibility.
So if we all wore formalwear to the Tuxedo meet, what would we wear to a Cummington meet?

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: cl94 on August 04, 2019, 04:54:55 PM

I'm continuing to update the original list in this thread as I see more ideas shared. If you get to a point where this is a serious contender for a meet and you'd like me to add it to the list (especially if you have an idea of the timeframe in 2020 when you'd like to host this), just let me know and I'll add it.
-A.J. from Michigan

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Looks like I got Tim to host Cincy for 2020. Scratch off Findlay for 2020.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 05, 2019, 11:02:35 PM

Done. Are you not able to host Cincinnati?
-A.J. from Michigan

signalman

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 06, 2019, 06:56:16 AM

I think he suggested that Tim host it because he's the local.  Sandor was willing to host otherwise.

cl94

I don't want to put words in SSOWorld's mouth or anything, but with the current 2020 meet schedule, La Crosse (if it happens) would be a VERY good late August or September meet. Schedule that time of year is currently empty and I would happily plan a vacation around it that grabs NE and ND.

As it stands, the current schedule is very May/June heavy. Fall meets have a tendency to get a good crowd. Heck, the December meet in Delaware a couple years ago was one of the largest I attended.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: signalman on August 06, 2019, 07:42:10 AM

I think he suggested that Tim host it because he's the local.  Sandor was willing to host otherwise.

It's good that Sandor was willing to host otherwise. There's just an interesting (awkward?) dynamic when one person suggests an idea for a road meet and creates an expectation (or assumption) that someone else host it. Sandor gave Tim the opportunity to host it which is cool, but I think Sandor just wanted to see this happen. Maybe they'll co-host it?

I know there have been times in the past with other road geeks where one person "hosted" a meet but was told by another person how to run it and what features should be included. That's just weird. It's like... why doesn't the person with the idea just plan and host it rather than pawn it off to someone else?
-A.J. from Michigan

bandit957

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 06, 2019, 12:48:29 PM
It's good that Sandor was willing to host otherwise. There's just an interesting (awkward?) dynamic when one person suggests an idea for a road meet and creates an expectation (or assumption) that someone else host it. Sandor gave Tim the opportunity to host it which is cool, but I think Sandor just wanted to see this happen. Maybe they'll co-host it?

I'm 46 and I have thyroid failure, so I'll have to make sure there's a "vice-president of hosting" in case there's an emergency and I can't make it.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bandit957 on August 06, 2019, 01:05:01 PM

I'm 46 and I have thyroid failure, so I'll have to make sure there's a "vice-president of hosting" in case there's an emergency and I can't make it.
I'll play V.P. then.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I know there have been times in the past with other road geeks where one person "hosted" a meet but was told by another person how to run it and what features should be included. That's just weird. It's like... why doesn't the person with the idea just plan and host it rather than pawn it off to someone else?

Did you make it to Dayton 2012 meet?
Richard Ruffner was to be the original host. He plotted the course, set the date, found the restaurant. Then some family came up and Richard had to abdicate as host, thus Dan Garnell was to be in charge. Alas, two or three days before the meet, Dan emails me, saying he isn't going to make it, and wanting me to be host. The rest of the attendees didn't realize till I arrived, that I was going to play host for that meet.

bandit957

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 06, 2019, 10:40:51 PM
Richard Ruffner was to be the original host. He plotted the course, set the date, found the restaurant. Then some family came up and Richard had to abdicate as host, thus Dan Garnell was to be in charge. Alas, two or three days before the meet, Dan emails me, saying he isn't going to make it, and wanting me to be host. The rest of the attendees didn't realize till I arrived, that I was going to play host for that meet.

The weird thing is that I never went to a roadmeet until 2013 - even though Dayton isn't that far. I think I've only been to 4 meets (all in 2013-15 when meets were huge).

bandit957

For a long time, I've wanted to introduce a brand bippus-bustin' new concept to roadmeets: telecommuting! A lot of people just aren't able to go to any meets, and it would be cool if there was a way the meet could be brung to them from afar.

Even when I had just a regular cellphone (back before smartphones), I'd send out text blasts on Twitter and Facebook from the meets. These days, we might be able to do even better.

Alps

Quote from: bandit957 on August 06, 2019, 11:05:56 PM
For a long time, I've wanted to introduce a brand bippus-bustin' new concept to roadmeets: telecommuting! A lot of people just aren't able to go to any meets, and it would be cool if there was a way the meet could be brung to them from afar.

Even when I had just a regular cellphone (back before smartphones), I'd send out text blasts on Twitter and Facebook from the meets. These days, we might be able to do even better.
Some guys like roadwaywiz will do live drives and could easily transmit the entire meet over their Youtube channels.

A.J. Bertin

Oh yes... I was at the 2012 Dayton meet. I remember it well. It was certainly a debacle, but I remember that we were all very appreciative of you, Sandor, for taking over at the last minute with virtually no time to prepare. That was pretty awesome.

For the record, the comment in my second paragraph above was not referring to the Dayton debacle. I was thinking about a different meet that happened later. I'm not mentioning any names, but I can tell you that you didn't have anything to do with it.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

I thought Dan bailed that day. I didn't realize that you already knew you'd have to host.

Quote from: Alps on August 07, 2019, 12:26:31 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on August 06, 2019, 11:05:56 PM

Some guys like roadwaywiz will do live drives and could easily transmit the entire meet over their Youtube channels.

Didn't someone livestream the Susquehanna Valley meet last year?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on August 07, 2019, 03:32:24 PM
Yeah, that one had a roadwaywiz live stream.  As did the Delaware meet and the Pulaski Skyway mini-meet.  The Pittsburgh meet is slated to be have one as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on August 07, 2019, 08:09:07 PM
Yeah, that one had a roadwaywiz live stream.  As did the Delaware meet and the Pulaski Skyway mini-meet.  The Pittsburgh meet is slated to be have one as well.
I'm intending to make a guest appearance at some point on the stream.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alps on August 08, 2019, 12:01:36 AM
Quote from: vdeane on August 07, 2019, 08:09:07 PM
I'm intending to make a guest appearance at some point on the stream.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I thought Dan bailed that day. I didn't realize that you already knew you'd have to host.

I had enough advance notice (more than 24 hours) that I added an extra stop along the way, for a "still born" expressway stub, to the itinerary for that tour.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.