AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Western Louisiana  (Read 128331 times)

cjk374

• The road less travelled is well worn under my feet

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 09:36:05 PM
Re: Western Louisiana
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2015, 09:11:43 PM »

So apparently US 371 has a new alignment near it's southern terminus at I-49. I had not seen anything in the news, but it looks like US 371 breaks away from LA 177 to meet US 84 and LA 1 at the Red Riover bridge crossing. This makes a lot more sense and makes it a lot easier to cross the river into Coushatta from the interstate.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.0012552,-93.4015931,13z
I see that on Google Maps, but went thru the US 371/LA 1 interchange for the first time in January, so nothing seemed out of the ordinary. It seemed like US 371 was still signed to LA 177, and there are no projects listed to realign the highway. Maybe the parish is upgrading the highway so that they can obtain LA 177 (although that would be very weird), but no record of a realignment is on LA DOTD's website.

US 371 & LA 177 are co-signed on I-49's BGSs.  I drove on LA 1 last month from Shreveport to Natchitoches and it does join US 84 and crosses the river there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.958991,-93.445215,3a,37.5y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAva9dQwXD5Q_jfANMcDM7Q!2e0
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

cenlaroads

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 08:50:20 PM
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2015, 10:12:33 PM »

So apparently US 371 has a new alignment near it's southern terminus at I-49. I had not seen anything in the news, but it looks like US 371 breaks away from LA 177 to meet US 84 and LA 1 at the Red Riover bridge crossing. This makes a lot more sense and makes it a lot easier to cross the river into Coushatta from the interstate.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.0012552,-93.4015931,13z
I see that on Google Maps, but went thru the US 371/LA 1 interchange for the first time in January, so nothing seemed out of the ordinary. It seemed like US 371 was still signed to LA 177, and there are no projects listed to realign the highway. Maybe the parish is upgrading the highway so that they can obtain LA 177 (although that would be very weird), but no record of a realignment is on LA DOTD's website.

US 371 & LA 177 are co-signed on I-49's BGSs.  I drove on LA 1 last month from Shreveport to Natchitoches and it does join US 84 and crosses the river there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.958991,-93.445215,3a,37.5y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAva9dQwXD5Q_jfANMcDM7Q!2e0

The realignment of US 371 shown on Google Maps is correct.  Construction was completed sometime before October 2014.  Here is the Route Numbering Application submitted to AASHTO by LA DOTD in October.  It includes a map of the realignment.  I remember seeing the construction underway in May of 2014.

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

• Last Login: August 27, 2020, 03:56:45 PM
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2015, 09:36:51 PM »

This Shreveport Times article reports that declining sales tax revenues will delay the ... schedule for ROW purchasing:
Efforts to ensure Arthur Ray Teague Parkway’s connection to the future Interstate 69 have hit a roadblock.
Sales tax revenues for Bossier Parish in 2012 and 2013 were down a combined $3.6 million, which stalled plans to purchase the right-of-ways for the roadway’s future southern extension from its current terminus to Taylortown
This Dec. 8, 2014 video .... briefly mentions that ROW acquisition for the Arthur Ray Teague Parkway southern extension to Taylortown and the I-69 Corridor should resume in 2015:
Also on the police jury to-do list for 2015, acquiring more right-of-way for continued expansion of the Arthur Ray Teague parkway south to Taylortown.
The parish needs an alternate path for a corridor that is constricted by the Red River, a railroad and a two-lane U.S. Hwy 71.

This interview with an incumbent for Bossier Parish Police Jury District 5 has the Juror commenting that progress on buying ROW for the Arthur Ray Teague Parkway down to Taylortown is one of the Jury's great accomplishments over the past four years and that they intend to continue doing so:

Folks who live in Bossier Parish Police Jury District 5 will want to spend some time talking with Juror Jack Skaggs about his first four years on the Jury, and reasons he’s committed to continue serving the district over the next Jury term ....
Skaggs detailed Jury accomplishments over the last four years, starting with the southern extension of the Arthur Ray Teague Parkway, where it presently ends near Parkway High School.
“…Trying to be progressive, we’ve approached going ahead and buying the right-of-way down to Taylortown …as we know, real estate keeps going up and if we can find the funding to buy a couple of acres that way, we’ll continue to do that,”  he said.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: April 06, 2023, 10:39:02 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2015, 02:56:26 PM »

Here is an update on the O.K. Allen Bridge replacement project in Alexandria.

The old bridge was closed yesterday, and traffic has been rerouted to the new northbound structure.  Preliminary demolition of the old bridge will begin soon.
Was demolished yesterday :(

MB886

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Anthony_JK

• Last Login: Today at 06:07:21 PM
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2015, 12:22:50 AM »

Article in yesterday's Daily Advertiser about new efforts to revive the idea of a loop tollway around Lafayette to accompany the I-49 South/I-49 Lafayette Connector corridor:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/2015/07/01/still-loop/29588975/

Included is a map of three alternatives of the proposed loop.

jbnv

• I take the back roads.

• Last Login: March 13, 2023, 03:08:46 PM
    • Photos on Flickr
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2015, 08:26:54 AM »

Article in yesterday's Daily Advertiser about new efforts to revive the idea of a loop tollway around Lafayette to accompany the I-49 South/I-49 Lafayette Connector corridor:

“We are talking about La. 31 toward St. Martinville, La. 13 in Rapides Parish. U.S. 14. U.S. 190, U.S. 71, U.S. 17.”  Did he give this interview drunk?
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Anthony_JK

« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2015, 04:57:42 PM »

Yeah, I noticed that. Someone at the Advertiser needs some proofreading skills.

And, how exactly do you upgrade two-lane roads to tollway standards for this "smart roads" scheme? And what roads would you use? US 167 from Maurice to Abbeville? LA 14 from Abbeville to New Iberia? LA 31 through St. Martinville?? US 190 through Opelousas?? Really???

Personally, I'd simply concentrate on the SW perimeter of the LRX between I-10 near Scott and US 90/Future I-49 just north of New Iberia. That would make for a convenient shortcut for traffic wanting to escape the madness of Baton Rouge going to NOLA. Plus, if you wanted create a southern I-10 or I-6 combining that portion of the LRX and the majority of I-49 South to NOLA, that would do the job....and you could still keep I-49 for the remaining portions through Broussard and Lafayette. 

jbnv

• I take the back roads.

• Photos on Flickr
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2015, 05:36:03 PM »

And, how exactly do you upgrade two-lane roads to tollway standards for this "smart roads" scheme? And what roads would you use? US 167 from Maurice to Abbeville? LA 14 from Abbeville to New Iberia? LA 31 through St. Martinville?? US 190 through Opelousas?? Really???

I spent some time trying to figure out what they are talking about. The only thing that makes sense, as a bypass loop around Lafayette, is a tollway that does this: Branch off of I-10 just east of Crowley. Bypass Crowley to the east. Pick up LA 13 south of Crowley and follow it to just north of Kaplan. Leave LA 13 and veer east, bypassing Kaplan. Pick up LA 14 east of Kaplan, and follow it to New Iberia, making use of bypasses around Abbeville and Erath and bypassing or bisecting Delcambre.

Now, as you know, Louisiana does not have a tradition of building new highways in this manner. I can't think of any case where Louisiana took a major length of an existing two-lane road and incorporated it into a freeway. I can think of a few cases where Louisiana used an existing two-lane road as a service road for a new freeway, but that's it. This sort of thing just doesn't fit either Louisiana history or Louisiana attitudes about roads.

The only other logical thing I can think of that uses existing routes is upgrading US 190 from Kinder to Baton Rouge.

Personally, I'd simply concentrate on the SW perimeter of the LRX between I-10 near Scott and US 90/Future I-49 just north of New Iberia. That would make for a convenient shortcut for traffic wanting to escape the madness of Baton Rouge going to NOLA. Plus, if you wanted create a southern I-10 or I-6 combining that portion of the LRX and the majority of I-49 South to NOLA, that would do the job....and you could still keep I-49 for the remaining portions through Broussard and Lafayette.

Personally, I have a feeling that LRX is largely a pipe dream. Once I-49 is finished through Lafayette, LRX won't be much of a shortcut. Lafayette still isn't Houston. The main reason that we need LRX is because there is no freeway through Lafayette. LRX basically keep people in Vermilion Parish and Lafayette's south/western suburbs from having to go into Lafayette to catch a freeway. I'm just having a hard time seeing how people will support the cost of LRX once I-49 is complete through Lafayette.

(Oh, if I could go back 60 years and show Lafayette people what a mess Ambassador Caffery is today, because it was built as an arterial rather than a limited-access freeway...)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 06:26:00 PM by jbnv »
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Anthony_JK

« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2015, 07:10:50 PM »

I spent some time trying to figure out what they are talking about. The only thing that makes sense, as a bypass loop around Lafayette, is a tollway that does this: Branch off of I-10 just east of Crowley. Bypass Crowley to the east. Pick up LA 13 south of Crowley and follow it to just north of Kaplan. Leave LA 13 and veer east, bypassing Kaplan. Pick up LA 14 east of Kaplan, and follow it to New Iberia, making use of bypasses around Abbeville and Erath and bypassing or bisecting Delcambre.

Now, as you know, Louisiana does not have a tradition of building new highways in this manner. I can't think of any case where Louisiana took a major length of an existing two-lane road and incorporated it into a freeway. I can think of a few cases where Louisiana used an existing two-lane road as a service road for a new freeway, but that's it. This sort of thing just doesn't fit either Louisiana history or Louisiana attitudes about roads.

The only other logical thing I can think of that uses existing routes is upgrading US 190 from Kinder to Baton Rouge.

Crowley to Kaplan to New Iberia?? That would be one hell of an outer loop, further than even the Grand Parkway in Houston. As if, Duson and Rayne are exburbs of Lafayette?? LOL

Personally, I have a feeling that LRX is largely a pipe dream. Once I-49 is finished through Lafayette, LRX won't be much of a shortcut. Lafayette still isn't Houston. The main reason that we need LRX is because there is no freeway through Lafayette. LRX basically keep people in Vermilion Parish and Lafayette's south/western suburbs from having to go into Lafayette to catch a freeway. I'm just having a hard time seeing how people will support the cost of LRX once I-49 is complete through Lafayette.

(Oh, if I could go back 60 years and show Lafayette people what a mess Ambassador Caffery is today, because it was built as an arterial rather than a limited-access freeway...)

Strangely enough, one of the original alignments for the LRX did use the southern extension of Ambassador Caffery Parkway for its eastern terminus with US 90/Future I-49 South. The current plans for the Ambassador Caffery interchange with US 90 even includes as part of its ultimate buildout additional ROW for direct connection flyover ramps for the northbound I-49 to westbound ACP and eastbound ACP to northbound I-49 movements. Though, more than likely, that will be eliminated for cost reasons and the ultimate interchange will be a more urban-like slip-ramp diamond with continuous access roads flanking the mainlines.

The more appropriate eastern terminus for the LRX with I-49 would probably be somewhere near where Captain Cade Road intersects with US 90, between the Young Street/LA 92 intersection (which will be converted to an interchange) and the LA 88 interchange.

Ambassador Caffery as a freeway probably wouldn't fly because there is simply too many direct access businesses along it. Heck, the original plans for an interchange between ACP and Johnston Street near Acadiana Mall were too much, so that they have reduced that down to a reduced phased intersection (I assume using Ridge Road to reduce the phases).

Also...given how much Broussard and Youngsville are blowing up, as well as Scott, there is more justification for the LRX than many think. It may be a pipe dream for now, but down the line after I-49 is finished, it could become a distinct reality.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 07:14:29 PM by Anthony_JK »

bassoon1986

• Finish I-49 north in LA!

• Last Login: October 06, 2023, 09:24:17 AM
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2016, 11:31:47 AM »

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/news/2016/12/12/barksdale--20220-interchange-upgrade-priority/95146482/

Shreveport Times article about the continuation of I-220 in Bossier City to an east Barksdale AFB entrance. There are 3 diagrams showing the potential expanded I-20/I-220 interchange. The original setup would have added loop ramps from NB to WB and WB to SB movements. The other two are mainly variations on northbound from the base to westbound I-20.

cjk374

« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2016, 08:06:27 PM »

When the I-20/I-220 eastern interchange was originally built, the dirt work was built up to create a full cloverleaf interchange. Apparently no one currently likes that idea.

Wouldn't lots of $$ be saved making it a cloverleaf? All they need is bridges & concrete pavement.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: April 06, 2023, 10:39:02 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2016, 08:13:50 PM »

When the I-20/I-220 eastern interchange was originally built, the dirt work was built up to create a full cloverleaf interchange. Apparently no one currently likes that idea.

Wouldn't lots of $$ be saved making it a cloverleaf? All they need is bridges & concrete pavement.

Just a guess, but highway construction standards have likely changed, which (in theory) could require reconstruction.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 10:14:03 PM
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2016, 03:14:07 PM »

Was Interstate 220 and LA 3132 planned to have been a full beltway around Shreveport? The stub ramps at the eastern 20/220 junction suggests this possibility. Also, will the Barksdale Air Force Base Connector have a highway designation? I doubt it will be an extension of Interstate 220.

Anthony_JK

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2016, 02:08:16 AM »

Was Interstate 220 and LA 3132 planned to have been a full beltway around Shreveport? The stub ramps at the eastern 20/220 junction suggests this possibility. Also, will the Barksdale Air Force Base Connector have a highway designation? I doubt it will be an extension of Interstate 220.

The original plan, AFAIK, was to complete I-220/LA 3132 as a full freeway loop passing through Barksdale AFB, but I guess either it was too expensive or Barksdale opposed it.

I'm guessing that since the new route will be simply a gateway to Barksdale, it will get an LA 1xxx shield or no number at all.

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 12:24:03 PM
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2016, 10:58:48 AM »

I don't know what the problem is involving Barksdale AFB. I-220 would have cut through the East side of the base, well away from the military air field. It's just woods and swamp land through there. They could fence or wall off that part of the highway and have surveillance systems running.

Here in Oklahoma I-44 cuts right through the middle of Fort Sill, dividing the East Range and the rest of the post to the West. ODOT needs to widen and improve the stretch of I-44 at Exit 41 adjacent to the Polo Field and going to Fort Sill's Key Gate. The Interstate is very sub-standard through there. The shoulders are inadequate compared to modern Interstate standards. There's no interior left shoulder to speak of; the Jersey barrier dividing both directions of traffic is hugging very close to the edge of the left lane. ODOT has improved the highway North and South of that stretch, but left that narrow, sub-standard piece of roadway as is.

cjk374

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2016, 12:03:35 AM »

LaDOTD is going roundabout crazy. They have proposals for several new roundabouts in northwest & north central Louisiana:

1. I accidentally happened upon a public open house the DOTD was hosting showing a proposal for installing not just 1...not just 2...but 4 roundabouts (back to back) on LA 544 in Ruston at I-20. The exit & entrance ramps get 2 and the Service roads get 2...along with a new overpass (the current overpass was built in 1959). I feel like 4 roundabouts in a row having to funnel all of that traffic may back traffic up big time from I-20 back to the LA Tech campus. I suggested a DDI instead.  :sombrero: I will patiently await a response from DOTD. They told me this was designed for traffic levels they project for the year 2039 in mind.

2. I-20 at LA 531 (exit 49)...both on & off ramps.

3. Well Rd. in West Monroe on the north side of I-20. Open house discussion on this will take place January 22, 2017 at a branch of the Ouachita Parish Library.

4. Just south of Homer, LA where LA 9, US 79, & US 79 NORTH TRUCK BYPASS (this road is signed with all 3 of these banners!) intersect at what is now a 1 year old 4-way stop that people still blow through without stopping. This place makes the most sense for a roundabout.

#1 above seems like the worst idea.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:06:35 AM by cjk374 »

cjk374

« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2017, 10:42:50 PM »

Louisiana has lost 2 more outline state shield signs. The 2 hanging over US 71/LA 1 at I-220 have been replaced with extruded panel signs & white LA 1 shields.

bassoon1986

« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2017, 11:17:37 PM »

Louisiana has lost 2 more outline state shield signs. The 2 hanging over US 71/LA 1 at I-220 have been replaced with extruded panel signs & white LA 1 shields.
NOOO! Only one left that I know of. LA 1 bypass BGS as you approach Natchitoches on LA 1 north

iPhone

cjk374

« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2017, 11:32:31 PM »

NOOO! Only one left that I know of. LA 1 bypass BGS as you approach Natchitoches on LA 1 north

iPhone

Sad day indeed.  :-( :-(

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 09:59:15 PM
« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2017, 11:49:15 PM »

I had a look for it in StreetView and it is also gone, as of July 2016.  (I think I found its corpse in the grass on the right-of-way.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bassoon1986

« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »

It's still there. I was in Natchitoches in May and saw it then.

iPhone

jbnv

• I take the back roads.

• Photos on Flickr
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2017, 12:55:04 PM »

I had a look for it in StreetView and it is also gone, as of July 2016.  (I think I found its corpse in the grass on the right-of-way.)

It's still there in GSV.

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 09:59:15 PM
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2017, 03:27:25 PM »

Thanks for setting me straight, and apologies for misleading--it had not occurred to me that an advance guide sign, such as the one that has the outline shield, might be posted further upstream of this flat intersection.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cjk374

« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2017, 06:18:24 PM »

Work has now started on the building of a new exit on I-20. It will be exit 83 at Tarbutton Rd. in Ruston.

A new Service Rd. extension has also started in Ruston. It is on the westbound side of I-20 and runs from the current-end of the existing road (North Service Rd. East) to the next overpass at Rough Edge Rd. There has been talk for almost 20 years about building a new exit for Rough Edge Rd. I believe it would be exit 89, and the talk was centered around making that exit serve as a way to get to the Ruston airport. If they did that, they would need a lot of trailblazer signs to guide people to the airport. Ruston's airport isn't served by any airline company...mostly just for business jets.

I accidentally put this on the wrong Louisiana page.

But I have heard that they will be building a new interchange at Rough Edge Rd. on the eastern edge of Ruston. It will be exit 89.

So that makes 5 exits (83 [the other new exit], 84, 85, 86, & [soon to be] 89) for a town of 20K people (more than that when the colleges are in session). Seem excessive?

rte66man

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 10:53:16 PM
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »

Work has now started on the building of a new exit on I-20. It will be exit 83 at Tarbutton Rd. in Ruston.

A new Service Rd. extension has also started in Ruston. It is on the westbound side of I-20 and runs from the current-end of the existing road (North Service Rd. East) to the next overpass at Rough Edge Rd. There has been talk for almost 20 years about building a new exit for Rough Edge Rd. I believe it would be exit 89, and the talk was centered around making that exit serve as a way to get to the Ruston airport. If they did that, they would need a lot of trailblazer signs to guide people to the airport. Ruston's airport isn't served by any airline company...mostly just for business jets.

I accidentally put this on the wrong Louisiana page.

But I have heard that they will be building a new interchange at Rough Edge Rd. on the eastern edge of Ruston. It will be exit 89.

So that makes 5 exits (83 [the other new exit], 84, 85, 86, & [soon to be] 89) for a town of 20K people (more than that when the colleges are in session). Seem excessive?

Doesn't appear excessive based on the commercial development on Google Maps.  My question would be why was I-20 routed so close to downtown Ruston when it was first built?  I would have thought it would have swung farther north.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.