News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

CtrlAltDel

It's not the most egregious of flaws, but there's currently a bit of I-35 missing between Austin and Waco at certain zoom levels:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 14, 2021, 07:09:43 PM
It's not the most egregious of flaws, but there's currently a bit of I-35 missing between Austin and Waco at certain zoom levels:

Saw that with I-80 in PA too recently.

Also, anyone else notice that you can now get a picture of an image just by clicking on it in GSV? Not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

ozarkman417

Google maps now has dark mode, and while I use dark mode on most other apps, I think I will stay on light mode for this one.

empirestate

Quote from: briantroutman on January 30, 2021, 09:23:07 PM
I've done some brief peeking around New York on the Google Maps iOS app, and I must say that I'm less than impressed with the new imagery.

While crosswalks seem to be fairly consistently represented–in my brief searches–the "exact"  street geometry appears to be far from that. Sidewalks appear and disappear in a manner that's not consistent with the ground reality. Features such as medians and sidewalks have gashes cut into them for no apparent reason–again, not reflective of reality.

For those of you familiar with Adobe Illustrator: It's like they did and auto-trace of satellite images. Some features are outlined well, and others are horribly botched and for no apparent reason. 

Yeah, it's OK I guess, but not as impressive as I'd hoped. I was expecting Zenrin-like quality, since that's what they've had in Japan for many years now. In fact, you can get much better detail and accuracy with NYC's own GIS planimetry, and it's free.

Yes, one hopes the new map style will mature and improve over time, but of course it's always disappointing when some "new" feature is already inferior to what has previously been available (cf. my theory of technological regression).

SectorZ

Quote from: US 89 on February 18, 2021, 07:47:26 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 18, 2021, 10:27:30 AM
Quote from: US 89 on February 17, 2021, 09:00:20 PM
That explains why the METAR aviation reporting code for hail is GR...

Whence does it actually derive?

My mind immediately goes to Spanish.  HAIL = GRANIZA

Appears to actually be French, although Spanish is also a Romance language and naturally has a lot of similar words. France was pretty influential in the early days of aviation - just look at all the words for parts of airplanes that are obviously French in origin: fuselage, empennage, nacelle, aileron...

French also gave us the METAR codes for graupel/snow pellets (GS, grésil) and mist/light fog (BR, brume), among others.

I can confirm that any of the ones not from English specifically come from French.

jakeroot

Quote from: ozarkman417 on March 19, 2021, 10:02:00 AM
Google maps now has dark mode, and while I use dark mode on most other apps, I think I will stay on light mode for this one.

I've been using it for about a week. Not sure what I think of it just yet. It isn't quite as easy to read in bright daylight, but it's much better on the eyes at night for sure.

TheGrassGuy

I feel like the blue lines for GSV sort of override each other. Just try getting Pegman onto the lower deck of the Bay Bridge in San Francisco to get an idea of what I mean.

CoreySamson

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 27, 2021, 08:47:08 AM
I feel like the blue lines for GSV sort of override each other. Just try getting Pegman onto the lower deck of the Bay Bridge in San Francisco to get an idea of what I mean.
Hey I've tried that too!  :sombrero: Another beef I have with the blue lines is that it will always put you on a minor side road or photosphere instead of the road you are trying to click on.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

jakeroot

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 27, 2021, 09:29:47 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 27, 2021, 08:47:08 AM
Hey I've tried that too!  :sombrero: Another beef I have with the blue lines is that it will always put you on a minor side road or photosphere instead of the road you are trying to click on.

I don't think it always does, but it can happen. At least for me.

Quote from: jakeroot on March 19, 2021, 02:03:23 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on March 19, 2021, 10:02:00 AM

I've been using it for about a week. Not sure what I think of it just yet. It isn't quite as easy to read in bright daylight, but it's much better on the eyes at night for sure.

Update: had to switch back to auto day/night mode. Dark mode was too dark during the day, at least on my phone.

kphoger

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 27, 2021, 09:29:47 PM
Another beef I have with the blue lines is that it will always put you on a minor side road or photosphere instead of the road you are trying to click on.

Minor side road:  I can't complain too much about that one, because how does Google know which road I meant to look at?  It's just being more accurate than I was when I dropped the pegman.  Of course, knowing exactly where to drop the pegman to begin with seems to be more of an art than a science.

Photosphere:  This really aggravates me.  Especially because, most of the time, I was zoomed out enough to not even know there was a photosphere there at all.  If it isn't even visible on the screen, then Google should know I didn't want it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Michael

I just went to Google Maps and the layer selection square is now a popout menu, similar to how it was in the last version of classic Maps.  I like it, since it'll be much easier than having to open the side menu and then selecting a layer from there.  It behaves more like the phone app does.  I'm not sure if I got the new design as part of an A/B test since my old version of Chrome doesn't have it.  Ideally, map/satellite/terrain would be three buttons like Maps had a long time ago, but I'll take what I can get.  When classic Maps combined the three buttons into one I hated it, but it's still better than having to use a side menu each time.  I can't help but imagine a car blinker designed like that.  First, open your blinker menu, then select from left, right, or 4-ways.  That sounds pretty stupid.

I recently tried an old version of Chromium I forgot I had kicking around, and that solved all the performance issues I've been having with Maps.  It's version 49, so it's new enough to not glitch out like my old version of Chrome.  I thought it was old enough to be using GPU acceleration on Windows XP, but it's not.  I also considered my adblocker slowing things down, but turning it off didn't make a difference.  I guess it'll remain a mystery.

TheGrassGuy

If you click on a business, the blue lines for street view no longer show up.

webny99

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 15, 2021, 04:30:26 PM

Is that what it is? I had noticed the blue lines intermittently not showing up, but hadn't associated it with clicking on a business (or presumably any other POI). It is annoying!

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: webny99 on April 15, 2021, 05:37:56 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 15, 2021, 04:30:26 PM

Is that what it is? I had noticed the blue lines intermittently not showing up, but hadn't associated it with clicking on a business (or presumably any other POI). It is annoying!
It's fixed now.

Roadgeekteen

Does Google Maps still suck? It works fine for me every time.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

D-Dey65

Yet more incorrect info on Google Maps; They think Northwest Creek in the Town of East Hampton, New York is part of the Peconic River too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0045204,-72.258092,3266m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

And there doesn't seem to be any way to correct this. Even if there was, they still include the Peconic River in more waterways that were corrected.

Roadgeekteen

As much as you might hate google maps, apple maps is even worse.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 41

Going back to the beginning of this thread, the new Google Maps is better than the "Classic" GM was now and it's not even close. When they first launched it though it was a disaster.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

vdeane

They still don't allow as many routing points as the old Google Maps did.  In fact, I'm pretty sure they've decreased even further over the years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on May 29, 2021, 09:46:33 PM
They still don't allow as many routing points as the old Google Maps did.  In fact, I'm pretty sure they've decreased even further over the years.
Yep.  ^This.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: US 41 on May 29, 2021, 09:15:34 PM
Going back to the beginning of this thread, the new Google Maps is better than the "Classic" GM was now and it's not even close. When they first launched it though it was a disaster.

No, it's still worse, it just has more irrelevant data to mask the fact that it sucks.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 30, 2021, 05:03:09 AM

No, it's still worse, it just has more irrelevant data to mask the fact that it sucks.
What made "classic gm" better?

vdeane

I actually use the business info, so I want everything to be usable, both the road stuff and the other stuff.  If that means the map has to be less "simple", fine, I'm not really a fan of the trend in computing to "simplify" and dumb down everything anyways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 30, 2021, 12:27:51 PM

Rather than the data being rendered on the fly like it is now, it was pre-rendered and stored as image tiles on the Google Maps server. So when you panned around the map, all it had to do was download the images and display them. It was much less resource-intensive.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 31, 2021, 01:57:57 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 30, 2021, 12:27:51 PM

Rather than the data being rendered on the fly like it is now, it was pre-rendered and stored as image tiles on the Google Maps server. So when you panned around the map, all it had to do was download the images and display them. It was much less resource-intensive.
On the other hand, such systems are prone to the "missing tile problem" where all the tiles download except the one you specifically want to look at.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.