News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Very unusual street suffixes

Started by DSS5, October 14, 2015, 10:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

The Omaha area has a large number of Plaza's, although some of them are the street names apartment complexes use to put an address on individual apartment buildings.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

halork

Tucson has "Paris Promenade".  I always thought that was a cool street name.  :cool:

1995hoo

Driving home from Verizon Center last night on I-295 prompted me to remember the odd segment of Drake Place in Southeast DC that was renamed "Queen's Stroll." Some maps show it as "Queen's Stroll Place," but news reports at the time said it was to be simply "Queen's Stroll." The name commemorates a visit by Queen Elizabeth II in 1991. After addressing Congress, for some reason the Queen visited a run-down part of Southeast on the far side of the Anacostia River.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dgolub

Quote from: tidecat on October 15, 2015, 04:45:39 AM
Owensboro, KY uses "Walk" as a suffix.

So does Long Beach, NY.  Although the streets that are walks are literally pedestrian only.  They're too narrow to fit a car down them.

dgolub

Suffolk County on Long Island is big on paths.  There's Straight Path, Hubbards Path, Old Willets Path, Stephen Hands Path, and Bicycle Path in various places throughout the county.  Yes, Bicycle Path is a road for cars--it's not a bicycle path.

luokou

Since moving to Alberta last year, I've seen suffixes that were definitely a bit more creative than what I'm used to seeing - Trail, Close, Wynd, Green, Chase, Heath, Pointe, and Landing are all suffixes I've encountered thus far, especially in the newer subdivisions adjacent to Anthony Henday Dr.

hbelkins

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 15, 2015, 08:56:42 PM
Quote from: Big John on October 15, 2015, 08:40:27 PM
Pass as in Brett Favre Pass by Green Bay.
I feel like I've seen Passes somewhere else, but can't think of where it is.

That is a pretty imaginative way to name a street, though.

KY 118, the connector route between the Hal Rogers Parkway and KY 80/US 421 in Hyden, Leslie County, is named "Tim Couch Pass" after the former Leslie County High, UK and Cleveland Browns QB.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 16, 2015, 01:30:52 PM
Quote from: SD Mapman on October 15, 2015, 08:56:42 PM
Quote from: Big John on October 15, 2015, 08:40:27 PM
Pass as in Brett Favre Pass by Green Bay.
I feel like I've seen Passes somewhere else, but can't think of where it is.

That is a pretty imaginative way to name a street, though.

KY 118, the connector route between the Hal Rogers Parkway and KY 80/US 421 in Hyden, Leslie County, is named "Tim Couch Pass" after the former Leslie County High, UK and Cleveland Browns QB.

Heh.  Then there's the road near my mother's old home in Floyd County where the locals merely call it going "Up Skull."  My father, who was from Trenton, NJ, remarked that going "Up Skull" was the first time he saw a trailer straddle a creek...for obvious reasons.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

A number of (generally higher-end) neighborhoods in the Richmond, VA area use "Trace", "Run", and "Chase". There are also a number of "Crescents", though that particular suffix isn't exactly rare.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

DTComposer

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 15, 2015, 08:19:53 PM
Here in Spearfish we have a street with no suffix whatsoever: Tulane.

That's very common in Irvine, and a few other places in south Orange County:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6694345,-117.7984299,17z

Not sure how uncommon it is in other parts of the country, but Los Coyotes Diagonal in Long Beach is the only example of that suffix I can think of.

silverback1065

Quote from: DTComposer on October 17, 2015, 01:30:35 AM

Not sure how uncommon it is in other parts of the country, but Los Coyotes Diagonal in Long Beach is the only example of that suffix I can think of.

those roads likely do have suffixes, they just dont post them on the signs, which is very annoying.  Look at detroit for a lot of examples of this.  Also Pike is a good suffix.

roadman65

Tucker's Grade in Charlotte County, FL.  Although grade in itself is used for specific mountain hills, like on I-24 through Monteagle, PA which is called Monteagle Grade by most.  However, this road is not on a hill or climb, just the suffix.

Then you have Broadway where most people consider it to be a "Way" but its one whole name derived from the Dutch word "Broadwieg" where the famous street in NYC got its name from.

Park Row in Lower Manhattan near the Brooklyn Bridge is unusual.

Then you havye roads like Dale Mabry Highway in Tampa, FL where locals do not use the suffix and many believe that "Dale Mabry" is like "Bowery" in NYC.

Also Wichita, KS does not use suffixes on road signs along I-135 and US 54/400 and sign them with name only, even though some are avenues and streets officially.  Even Broadway is actually in reality "Broadway Avenue" in Wichita.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Earlier today I passed Tinner's Hill in Falls Church, Virginia. Don't know how common "Hill" is as a suffix, but that's the only one of which I know.

AlexandriaVA

Had a friend in Annandale VA who lived on "The Midway". Can't say I ever heard that one elsewhere.

Big John

They are seen in other parts of the country.  Weirdest one I know is in Atlanta where there is a street named Boulevard.  There is no suffix since it is its own suffix.

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on October 17, 2015, 03:25:31 PM
Had a friend in Annandale VA who lived on "The Midway". Can't say I ever heard that one elsewhere.

Just south of Atlanta there is a subdivision road called Roses of Picardy: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6133261,-84.4547281,370m/data=!3m1!1e3

jp the roadgeek

West Hartford, CT has a street called Boulevard.  Many people add "The" before it, but it's really just Boulevard.  It turns into West Blvd. at the Hartford line.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

That sounds familiar. Is it off Duncan Drive? My parents live a short distance west of there near Guinea and 236.

Similarly, there's a street not far from our neighborhood called "The Parkway." My sat-nav, whose map does not show the suffix on any street, shows it as "The."

DTComposer

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 17, 2015, 01:49:21 PM

those roads likely do have suffixes, they just dont post them on the signs, which is very annoying.  Look at detroit for a lot of examples of this.  Also Pike is a good suffix.

No, they actually do not have suffixes, per the City website (parcel search maps, general plan, etc.) and the USPS Zip Code lookup site.

DSS5

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 17, 2015, 03:19:49 PM
Earlier today I passed Tinner's Hill in Falls Church, Virginia. Don't know how common "Hill" is as a suffix, but that's the only one of which I know.

Hills is common around here, usually referring to a steep-grade residential street. But never seen singular 'Hill.'

Quote from: roadman65 on October 17, 2015, 03:14:32 PM
Then you have Broadway where most people consider it to be a "Way" but its one whole name derived from the Dutch word "Broadwieg" where the famous street in NYC got its name from.

Speaking of NYC, is 'Concourse' (as in Grand Concourse) actually considered a suffix?

TravelingBethelite

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Scott5114

The USPS website lists an official abbreviation for "Stravenue", whatever that is.

At my old job, we had a customer whose address was on a "Portofino Strada". I looked it up and the neighborhood was full of Italian street names, so I'm guessing that's a suffix in Italian.

And of course, there's Kansas and Missouri and their Trafficways.

Quote from: steviep24 on October 15, 2015, 08:14:00 PM
I have seen streets in suburban neighborhoods with Run and Rise as suffixes.

But do the Rises pass over the Runs at any point?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 18, 2015, 02:59:35 PM
... "Portofino Strada" ... so I'm guessing that's a suffix in Italian.

Yup, Strada = Road or Street

right_said_ted

This reminded me of Chicago's Midway Plaisance. How many other Plaisances could there possibly be?

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 18, 2015, 02:59:35 PM
The USPS website lists an official abbreviation for "Stravenue", whatever that is.

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stravenue

QuoteA stravenue (portmanteau of street and avenue) is a type of road particular to Tucson, Arizona. The United States Postal Service officially supports the abbreviation STRA for stravenues.[1] A Stravenue runs "diagonally between and intersects a Street and an Avenue."
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

roadfro

Reno, NV has two of an unusual one: Row

*Commercial Row - an east/west street downtown, next to the train track trench.
*Kings Row - an east/west minor collector road through a residential neighborhood. (The east end of this road intersects some cul-de-sacs such as King Arthur Ct.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.