News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Your biggest potholes!

Started by STLmapboy, October 03, 2020, 02:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

Ritter Avenue, Indianapolis. An absolute minefield of potholes, worst I've ever seen.

What are the longest stretches of nonstop potholes you have to offer? Could be GSV, pictures, I don't care. Send in your pockmarked hellscapes!
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

silverback1065

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 03, 2020, 02:58:46 PM
Ritter Avenue, Indianapolis. An absolute minefield of potholes, worst I've ever seen.

What are the longest stretches of nonstop potholes you have to offer? Could be GSV, pictures, I don't care. Send in your pockmarked hellscapes!

i often call indianapolis potholeville.  :-D east 38th st is a disgrace in terms of road pavement condition.

Max Rockatansky

Sign County Route J1 from CA 25 in Paicines east to the Fresno County Line.  It was way worse in Fresno County until they repaired their section.  The San Benito County side might as well be topped over with gravel at this rate.  Mineral King Road mile for mile is just as bad, but is only 24.8 miles....with 693 curves though. 

renegade

Nah, dude ... I'm in Michigan ... I wouldn't know where to begin!
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

michravera

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 03, 2020, 03:53:01 PM
Sign County Route J1 from CA 25 in Paicines east to the Fresno County Line.  It was way worse in Fresno County until they repaired their section.  The San Benito County side might as well be topped over with gravel at this rate.  Mineral King Road mile for mile is just as bad, but is only 24.8 miles....with 693 curves though.

SB CASR-17 just south of the NB Santa Cruz Ave exit has a place where there are often potholes almost 2 m long and 1 m wide. The most notorious accident site (until mostly closed) was in front of The Cats restaurant about 2 km further south.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: michravera on October 03, 2020, 08:19:53 PM

SB CASR-17 just south of the NB Santa Cruz Ave exit has a place where there are often potholes almost 2 m long and 1 m wide. The most notorious accident site (until mostly closed) was in front of The Cats restaurant about 2 km further south.

It has nothing on J1, nothing in the State Inventory has anything on J1 for that matter.  With J1 I'm talking about a solid 40 mile segment of potholes.  But to your point, yes CA 17 over the Santa Cruz Mountains has been wanting for maintenance for quite a long time. 

Another considerably long pothole filled road that comes to mind is Kelbaker Road out in the Mojave Preserve.  Old Trails Road (former US 66) between Fenner and Ludlow is in such bad shape that the bridges are beginning to erode away during winter rain. 

Similarly Oatman Highway (Mojave County Route 10 and former US 66) was infamous for it's pothole ridden surface.  From Oatman to Kingman the Highway has been largely repaired but the segment to Topock was still really bad the last time I drove it.

Flint1979

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 03, 2020, 03:31:41 PM

i often call indianapolis potholeville.  :-D east 38th st is a disgrace in terms of road pavement condition.
Are you talking about between Shadeland and Arlington? Last time I was in that area I thought 38th was under construction.

US 89

10th Street in Atlanta is awful. They don't really show up well on GSV, but for every patched pothole you see, there are two more you can't.

michravera

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 03, 2020, 08:39:56 PM

It has nothing on J1, nothing in the State Inventory has anything on J1 for that matter.  With J1 I'm talking about a solid 40 mile segment of potholes.  But to your point, yes CA 17 over the Santa Cruz Mountains has been wanting for maintenance for quite a long time. 

Another considerably long pothole filled road that comes to mind is Kelbaker Road out in the Mojave Preserve.  Old Trails Road (former US 66) between Fenner and Ludlow is in such bad shape that the bridges are beginning to erode away during winter rain. 

Similarly Oatman Highway (Mojave County Route 10 and former US 66) was infamous for it's pothole ridden surface.  From Oatman to Kingman the Highway has been largely repaired but the segment to Topock was still really bad the last time I drove it.

I wasn't complaining about the number of potholes on SB CASR-17. The subject asks for "biggest" potholes, not the road with the largest number of them.  But, if it's anything like you represent, I'm happy not to have had the displeasure of driving J18. The hole that frequently turns up on CASR-17 has been big enough to swallow a small child.  Most cars can straddle it, if they see it coming (and it's pretty hard to miss, if you are paying attention in the daytime), but at night you might very well miss it. Two-wheeled vehicles must divert around it or jump it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: michravera on October 04, 2020, 11:38:25 AM

I wasn't complaining about the number of potholes on SB CASR-17. The subject asks for "biggest" potholes, not the road with the largest number of them.  But, if it's anything like you represent, I'm happy not to have had the displeasure of driving J18. The hole that frequently turns up on CASR-17 has been big enough to swallow a small child.  Most cars can straddle it, if they see it coming (and it's pretty hard to miss, if you are paying attention in the daytime), but at night you might very well miss it. Two-wheeled vehicles must divert around it or jump it.

I see what you're getting at with CA 17.  With J18, I'm assuming you're referring to that horrible section East of CA 33 and Newman on River Road approaching CA 165?  That segment is indeed infamously bad and it's hard to fathom was once a State Highway (early Legislative Route 122).  At least the 1910 Merced River Bridge makes it kind of a worthwhile venture. 

silverback1065

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 03, 2020, 08:58:24 PM

Are you talking about between Shadeland and Arlington? Last time I was in that area I thought 38th was under construction.

sherman and emerson

noelbotevera

Quote from: renegade on October 03, 2020, 07:44:26 PM
Bet I can outdo you. I'll roll out the red carpet the next time you're in Philly.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 04, 2020, 02:12:40 PM
Quote from: renegade on October 03, 2020, 07:44:26 PM
Bet I can outdo you. I'll roll out the red carpet the next time you're in Philly.

Dare I challenge Michigan's claim to be the Pure Potholes State?...yes...  Michigan has vastly improved it's road infrastructure this past decade and states like California or New Mexico have surpassed them.  The Michigan I visit today is not the 1990s Michigan I drove everyday. 

STLmapboy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 04, 2020, 11:50:09 AM

I see what you're getting at with CA 17.  With J18, I'm assuming you're referring to that horrible section East of CA 33 and Newman on River Road approaching CA 165?  That segment is indeed infamously bad and it's hard to fathom was once a State Highway (early Legislative Route 122).  At least the 1910 Merced River Bridge makes it kind of a worthwhile venture.
J18 even looks shitty on 2008 GSV, can't imagine what it's like now.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 04, 2020, 12:14:18 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 03, 2020, 08:58:24 PM

sherman and emerson
Oooof.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 04, 2020, 02:17:40 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 04, 2020, 11:50:09 AM

J18 even looks shitty on 2008 GSV, can't imagine what it's like now.

Since you asked:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2018/01/signed-county-route-j18.html?m=1

My brother in law lives a couple miles off the worst portion in Newman.  Cool Highway if you can withstand being bounced around. 

webny99

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 04, 2020, 02:19:12 PM
Oooof.

That's bad. Worse than NY 286, even, which I did not think was possible.

KCRoadFan

Many streets in KC, especially in the spring. West 39th, which runs right through my neighborhood, always seems to have at least a couple.

CoreySamson

Front Street in Angleton, Texas has some of the worst I've seen (move around in each direction to see how rough it is).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

ET21

Come to Chicago, pick any street and you'll have plenty of potholes. I think the worst stretch I remember before it was "fixed" was Fullerton between the Kennedy and Lake Shore Drive. There were so many craters  :no:

I hit one on the Mile Long Bridge on I-294 at 70 mph, didn't see it in time. Had to go get my alignment fixed and new tires.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jeffandnicole

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.