News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Anti-superstreets

Started by tolbs17, March 23, 2021, 06:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article220180950.html

This link says it all. I'm not a fan of superstreets. How about modify the NC 150 widening project and just put big intersections or small interchanges (similar to an expressway design)?

ran4sh

The article clearly says that the engineering judgment *for that road only* is that the superstreet format would not be as beneficial as it normally is.

QuoteTraffic engineers usually find that a superstreet design is safer and moves traffic more smoothly, said NCDOT project engineer Zahid Baloch, but in this case they determined there wouldn't be much difference.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article220180950.html#storylink=cpy

That is obviously not an argument against superstreets in general. I wish Georgia would build superstreets, because the traffic light phasing improvements would help allow the road to handle more traffic (a traffic light at a superstreet intersection only needs 2 phases, versus the 4 phases needed at intersections with left turn phases for both roads).
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

tolbs17

Quote from: ran4sh on March 23, 2021, 07:43:43 PM
The article clearly says that the engineering judgment *for that road only* is that the superstreet format would not be as beneficial as it normally is.

QuoteTraffic engineers usually find that a superstreet design is safer and moves traffic more smoothly, said NCDOT project engineer Zahid Baloch, but in this case they determined there wouldn't be much difference.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article220180950.html#storylink=cpy

That is obviously not an argument against superstreets in general. I wish Georgia would build superstreets, because the traffic light phasing improvements would help allow the road to handle more traffic (a traffic light at a superstreet intersection only needs 2 phases, versus the 4 phases needed at intersections with left turn phases for both roads).
people think making u-turns is just a waste of time.

I-55

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 23, 2021, 07:55:35 PM

people think making u-turns is just a waste of time.

Or you have people like me who know I-94 is on the left but forgets I'm in Michigan where I have to turn right to go left until I'm halfway through the intersection. Now I know what Doc Hudson REALLY meant when he said to turn right to go left.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Dirt Roads

The last time I was out that way, there wasn't so much development in Southern Wake.  But one of the issues with Superstreet design is that most of the property impact is back from the intersection in the areas most likely to impact/limit property access.  Since the main function of the Superstreet is to increase traffic throughput by forcing all property access to become RIRO, it seems contrary to remove property access to install those left turn thingys.  (Sorry, but I've got the term Michigan Left stuck in my head and can't remember how the other thingys like J-cuts differ).

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 24, 2021, 11:31:03 AM
those left turn thingys.  (Sorry, but I've got the term Michigan Left stuck in my head and can't remember how the other thingys like J-cuts differ).

Loons?

When they have an island, I call them Inverse Jughandles, since loons by definition don't have islands, and there's no official term for loons that do, unless you just want to call them "loons with islands." (Those islands sound like fun or scary places, depending.)
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.