Questionable routings that take added time

Started by texaskdog, March 05, 2021, 04:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Quote from: HTM Duke on March 12, 2021, 03:25:54 PM
For me, it would be US-98's current routing that has it run north of Belle Glade and through Pahokee to Canal Point, instead of using the FL-700 corridor as a straight shot.  As it stands, the current routing comes in around 24 miles compared to FL-700's 14 miles, with a travel time that is roughly doubled due to lower speed limits.

Well it serves Canal Point and the agricultural communities.  SR 700 is narrower as well if I can recall.

HighwayStar

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 05, 2021, 04:19:23 PM
Let's start off with the easiest one to mention:

I-70 using a surface road in Breezewood instead of direct ramps because of chain restaurants, gas stations and hotels crying over losing business at one of their hundreds or thousands of locations.

That is not really a fair assessment. Those are franchise businesses where the owner may own as little as one restaurant etc, and even if they owned several Breezewood is likely to be very lucrative. Of all the instances where local opposition has caused an absurd routing, Breezewood is hardly the foremost. I-70 ending before entering Baltimore is a FAR more egregious example.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

roadman65

PA 285 and OH 85 are more direct than US 6 across the PA-OH border.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.