News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways you would like to explore

Started by doglover44, March 17, 2021, 12:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

Pretty much any old highway that I can explore on Google Maps, mostly in the US & maybe even Canada & some other countries.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 10, 2021, 12:18:35 AM
Assuming a 2-axle vehicle and paying cash:
Cherokee–$3.25
Chickasaw–$0.85
Cimarron–$4.25
Creek 364–$3.75
Bailey 44–$6.25
Indian Nation–$7.75
Kickapoo–$2.25
Kilpatrick–$3.75
Muskogee 351–$4.00
Turner 44–$5.00
Will Rogers 44–$5.00

So you can expect to spend at least $46.10, $16.25 of which is spent clinching I-44 alone. Note that these do not include the H.E. Bailey and Cimarron spurs, and assume each toll road is clinched in one go with no backtracking or repeat visits (like clinching the Cimarron, then using the Cimarron again later to get to Tulsa to clinch the Muskogee).

That's slightly less than the E-ZPass rate for the 360 miles of the Pennsylvania Turnpike mainline alone.  Not bad, although we all knew the Penna Turnpike was pricey.

While we're on this thread: some other roads that have been on my driving wish list for a while:

Santa Clara County (California) Expressways
MO 100
Florida's Turnpike
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Tom958

It's not very ambitious, but I'd like to explore US 23 in Appalachia north of Kingsport and especially the part in Kentucky. Might as well add OH 7 up to East Liverpool while I'm up that way.

Scott5114

Quote from: stridentweasel on April 11, 2021, 09:51:28 PM
That's slightly less than the E-ZPass rate for the 360 miles of the Pennsylvania Turnpike mainline alone.  Not bad, although we all knew the Penna Turnpike was pricey.

OTA can be accused of many things, but charging unreasonable tolls isn't one of them.

Say hi when you do the Bailey Spur, that's part of my commute!

While we're on this thread: some other roads that have been on my driving wish list for a while:
MO 100

Okay, I'll bite. Why?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Tom958 on April 11, 2021, 10:05:23 PM
It's not very ambitious, but I'd like to explore US 23 in Appalachia north of Kingsport and especially the part in Kentucky. Might as well add OH 7 up to East Liverpool while I'm up that way.
Have to say US 23 was more interesting before the last portions were four-laned (i.e., having to drive through Prestonsburg and Pikeville), but the four-laning was an engineering feat unto itself.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Rothman on April 12, 2021, 12:27:27 AM
Quote from: Tom958 on April 11, 2021, 10:05:23 PM
Have to say US 23 was more interesting before the last portions were four-laned (i.e., having to drive through Prestonsburg and Pikeville), but the four-laning was an engineering feat unto itself.
The talk of US 23 through KY and VA got me interested in it too. I might use it over I-75 or I-77 on a future trip to the southeast.

US 89

I’d love to explore more of US 19. I’ve been on most of it in the northern half of GA, but I would jump at the chance to drive the rest of it someday. Up there with US 89 and US 64 on the list of 2dus routes I think would be most fun to clinch (given enough time and money, of course).

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 12, 2021, 12:07:51 AM

Will do!

MO 100

Okay, I'll bite. Why?

Interesting design features and typological variety, including a one-way couplet and a set of extra-large jughandles.  Good example of a surface highway and part-time expressway.  Honestly, I find that the most interesting roads are those that truly blur the lines between surface-street and express highway, and it's always interesting to see how traffic control and safety features are handled on these roads.

(Edited to show context.)

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

epzik8

• I-84 in New York
  • I-64 in Indiana
  • Just about all of I-85
  • US 1 in North Carolina
  • US 33 in Virginia
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JayhawkCO

SkyPesos

Quote from: stridentweasel on April 12, 2021, 07:10:47 AM
MO 100
Okay, I'll bite. Why?
Interesting design features and typological variety, including a one-way couplet and a set of extra-large jughandles.  Good example of a surface highway and part-time expressway.  Honestly, I find that the most interesting roads are those that truly blur the lines between surface-street and express highway, and it's always interesting to see how traffic control and safety features are handled on these roads.

For the one way couplet, is it the one at the I-270 interchange? That's the only one I can think of on MO 100. I don't remember any jughandles, can you link me the extra large one you found?. If you're clinching MO 100, there's a chance you'll get tired of the traffic signals on Manchester Rd about half way through  :D

Flint1979

Quote from: epzik8 on April 12, 2021, 10:11:02 AM

• I-84 in New York
  • I-64 in Indiana
  • Just about all of I-85
  • US 1 in North Carolina
  • US 33 in Virginia
Why I-64 in Indiana? I've clinched it before but wasn't trying to I was just going between Louisville and St. Louis. I-64 in Indiana is pretty boring to be honest.

renegade

US-23 in Kentucky was pretty cool the last time I was there.  So was the Mountain Parkway.

I had the privilege of traveling part of the Bluegrass Parkway recently.  Would love to go down there and travel a few more of the parkways.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 12, 2021, 01:44:31 PM
For the one way couplet, is it the one at the I-270 interchange? That's the only one I can think of on MO 100.

Yes.  https://goo.gl/maps/zJvLdkAT5A3gWUxv9

I don't remember any jughandles, can you link me the extra large one you found?.

Yes.  https://goo.gl/maps/1HuT5svdUmAjfda56

sparker

Quote from: stridentweasel on April 12, 2021, 09:11:35 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on April 12, 2021, 01:44:31 PM
For the one way couplet, is it the one at the I-270 interchange? That's the only one I can think of on MO 100.

Yes.  https://goo.gl/maps/zJvLdkAT5A3gWUxv9

I don't remember any jughandles, can you link me the extra large one you found?.

Yes.  https://goo.gl/maps/1HuT5svdUmAjfda56

That set of jughandles looks more like a folded diamond variant, minus the grade separation, than anything else.  If left turns from the intersecting road are in fact prohibited (which looks to be the case by lack of usage traces), it probably works quite well -- better than the convoluted configurations found on some of our local (San Jose) expressways (think "standard" diamonds with RIRO's on the ramps for local streets!).

ftballfan

Any of the Rocky Mountain interstates
The sections of M-22 I'm missing (I've never been to Northport despite living less than 100 miles from there most of my life)

skluth

Will do!

MO 100

Okay, I'll bite. Why?

I personally never cared for MO 100 east of Gray Summit; it quickly goes from rural highway to four lane expressway to four lane suburban strip mall nightmare. Of course, the stretch I used to drive frequently was the strip mall nightmare between MO 141 and Lindbergh so my viewpoint is much different from those driving west of Ellisville. OTOH, I love the section between Gray Summit and Hermann skirting the south bank of the Missouri culminating with a mandatory stop at Stone Hill Winery. It continues for a bit west of Hermann with the land around MO 100 looking a lot like Wisconsin's Driftless Area. I prefer MO 94 on the north bank which can be fairly busy between Washington and I-64 (especially on fall weekends) but has very little traffic once you get west of MO 47 and goes all the way to Jeff City.

I do think the MO 100 interchange with I-270 is one of the weirdest designs ever, though it's surprisingly efficient.

Ned Weasel

SkyPesos

Quote from: skluth on April 15, 2021, 12:24:37 PM

Will do!

MO 100

Okay, I'll bite. Why?

I personally never cared for MO 100 east of Gray Summit; it quickly goes from rural highway to four lane expressway to four lane suburban strip mall nightmare. Of course, the stretch I used to drive frequently was the strip mall nightmare between MO 141 and Lindbergh so my viewpoint is much different from those driving west of Ellisville. OTOH, I love the section between Gray Summit and Hermann skirting the south bank of the Missouri culminating with a mandatory stop at Stone Hill Winery. It continues for a bit west of Hermann with the land around MO 100 looking a lot like Wisconsin's Driftless Area. I prefer MO 94 on the north bank which can be fairly busy between Washington and I-64 (especially on fall weekends) but has very little traffic once you get west of MO 47 and goes all the way to Jeff City.

I do think the MO 100 interchange with I-270 is one of the weirdest designs ever, though it's surprisingly efficient.
I like the I-270 interchange a lot, mainly because they care about the traffic to West County Mall from its own mall entrance on the NB exit, and stop sign on the SB exit. Also pretty much free-flow except one signals set that only have a straight movement for both directions.

Out of the 3 major strip mall lined E-W state route arterials I've been on the most (D, 340, 100), generally between MO 141 and I-170 (Brentwood for 100), I think the traffic is the worst on MO 100. Page Ave seems to have fewer traffic signals than the other two, which is a breeze to use, and sometimes I use it continuing east of MO 364 past its eastern terminus all the way to I-170, instead of switching to I-64.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.