News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Best “roller coaster” roads

Started by twinsfan87, March 21, 2021, 01:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ketchup99

US 322's divided section from Tusseyville to Milroy. Speed limit 55, truck limit 20. Sharp curves, steep incline. Super, super fun drive.

Rothman

Practically any back road in central and northern PA.  Be careful with your suspension.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ozarkman417

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 21, 2021, 10:28:14 PM
I'm thinking something in Missouri should be in the higher tiers - perhaps parts of US 160?
Agreed, especially MO-19 in the Current River region, in addition to MO 125 south of Sparta, which is in the same "White River Hills" region as US-160. However, MoDOT recently started a project to make the so-called "Tecumseh Curves" less curvy (Revive 755's second link).

TheHighwayMan3561

MN 50 between US 52 and US 61 has the roller coaster effect, but it's a straight shot.
MN 18 in rural Pine County has some of that too.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 22, 2021, 08:32:06 PM
MN 50 between US 52 and US 61 has the roller coaster effect, but it's a straight shot.
MN 18 in rural Pine County has some of that too.

MN 1 east of US 53 is pretty damn nice and has lots of curves out in the Iron Ranges. 

tchafe1978

Many of the town roads and county highways in the hilly Driftless Area of Southwest Wisconsin would qualify. Most of these roads are built to the lay of the land, with very few road cuts. Some can be straight and hilly, and others are both curvy and hilly. One of my favorites is Holland Rd. in Lafayette County, just west of Darlington. The stretch from CTH Z west to CTH O is probable the best stretch.
https://goo.gl/maps/NjdrQpPUTLgTfjKa9

Another is the aptly named Roller Coaster Rd just southeast of Darlington.
https://goo.gl/maps/JsZVroGAQZdVkaRFA

But just about any county highway or town road in Lafayette, Iowa, or Grant counties in southwest Wisconsin could be considered a roller coaster.

Frafra Zoomer

The "Rim of the World Highway" in the San Bernardino Mountains has lots of horizontal curves. And CA-138 between the western junction with CA-18  and CA-2 has lots of vertical curves

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Frafra Zoomer on March 23, 2021, 12:32:55 AM
The "Rim of the World Highway" in the San Bernardino Mountains has lots of horizontal curves. And CA-138 between the western junction with CA-18  and CA-2 has lots of vertical curves

CA 243/Panoramic Highway and CA 74/Pines to Palms Highway are also worthwhile for the "roller coaster"  purpose in the same vicinity. 

D-Dey65

I've brought this up on similar threads, but Adirondack Drive between Farmingville and Selden, New York has to be on a list like this.

1995hoo

Waterway Drive in the Lake Barcroft neighborhood east of Annandale, Virginia. You can't go too fast because it's a residential area, but the divided segment in particular is a fun little roller coaster.

(For those of you who have visited Kings Dominion, Waterway Drive's roller coaster is like the Scooby Doo roller coaster aimed at the younger demographic, whereas some of the other roads named above are more like the Rebel Yell or the Grizzly.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennon_Road

Kennon Road has a rollercoaster factor for roads in the Philippines heading to the Baguio city area.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ftballfan

122nd Ave in Allegan County, Michigan

Rothman

Heh.  Just thought of the "ski slope" in northern Manhattan, upper east side.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

The Breezeway - part of intercounty route C-48 in NW Lower Michigan:  http://www.ridethebreezeway.com/

As kids we always liked Egypt Valley Road in Kent County.  I'm not sure how many hills it actually has, but I think there were some.  At the time it was gravel; we looked out the back of the station wagon (look it up youngsters) to see the dust cloud and said that the butterflies were coughing.

roadman65

CA 2 in Angeles National Forest.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

A few examples of what would likely be considered "roller coaster" roads here in CA:  CA 108 over Sonora Pass,  the National Park road that is functionally CA 89 through Lassen Park, CA 168 east of US 395 to CA 266 near the NV state line, and one of the most fun SoCal entries, CA 33 from Ojai to CA 166.  Except Lassen Park/CA 89 during the summer (in non-COVID years, of course!), most of these roads don't see a huge amount of traffic, so they're pretty enjoyable to drive without having to constantly put up with the whims of your fellow motorists.   

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on March 31, 2021, 05:48:16 PM
A few examples of what would likely be considered "roller coaster" roads here in CA:  CA 108 over Sonora Pass,  the National Park road that is functionally CA 89 through Lassen Park, CA 168 east of US 395 to CA 266 near the NV state line, and one of the most fun SoCal entries, CA 33 from Ojai to CA 166.  Except Lassen Park/CA 89 during the summer (in non-COVID years, of course!), most of these roads don't see a huge amount of traffic, so they're pretty enjoyable to drive without having to constantly put up with the whims of your fellow motorists.   

89/Lassen Park Highway was a blast during COVID, hardly a person in sight last year.  Some others they come to mind up in that part of the state are; 96, 299 and 36 east of US to I-5. 

Takumi

VA 6, especially west of Scottsville.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

thenetwork

US‐550 between Ouray and Durango is full of switchbacks.  And I get to drive it regularly for my work! 

Granted I have to stick closer to the speed limit than most as my company monitors my speed and harsher cornerings, but it's still a fun drive in my Ford Transit van.

Occidental Tourist

Box Canyon Road east of Coachella, California (former US 60/70 and CA 195) has some good rolling movements.  It was built on sandy soil in the days before highway engineering emphasized gradual elevation changes.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on April 01, 2021, 03:35:33 AM
Box Canyon Road east of Coachella, California (former US 60/70 and CA 195) has some good rolling movements.  It was built on sandy soil in the days before highway engineering emphasized gradual elevation changes.

That poor grading is what led to a lot of it being wiped out a couple years ago after it washed away.  It was a lot of fun to drive the repaired/resurfaced roadway back in late 2019.

paulthemapguy

I just got back from a bunch of twisted roads in southeastern Ohio.  Particularly memorable was Ohio 565 and other highways in the vicinity of southeastern Noble County, and the gravel roads I was dumped onto after driving Ohio 621 north of Coshocton.  Possibly the most Amish area I've ever seen, to boot.  Ohio 342 was a really fun road to drive, too.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2021, 09:49:15 AM

That poor grading is what led to a lot of it being wiped out a couple years ago after it washed away.  It was a lot of fun to drive the repaired/resurfaced roadway back in late 2019.

I haven't driven it in awhile.  If they had to do spot repairs due to washouts, I don't imagine my Mustang would handle it very well these days.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on April 01, 2021, 11:53:54 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2021, 09:49:15 AM

I haven't driven it in awhile.  If they had to do spot repairs due to washouts, I don't imagine my Mustang would handle it very well these days.

It was more of they had rebuild the entire roadway, it was pretty much obliterated. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.