News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What’s your favorite style of BBQ?

Started by OCGuy81, March 28, 2021, 07:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

I have no idea what sort of barbecue Chef's Pencil likes:

https://twitter.com/chefspencil/status/1392544963137654785

What sort of injustice against humanity is this list? Also, kphoger, is the BBQ in Wichita good enough to be 3rd in the US?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

It looks like they were just going off of aggregate scores of TripAdvisor reviews of barbecue restaurants. Which may or may not be indicative of the quality of the food, of course.

I've had what I've considered good barbecue from Oklahoma City-based local chains. But I'm not sure what I consider good BBQ is what most people consider good BBQ–my standards are based on how the meat itself is seasoned and I don't use sauce.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NJRoadfan

The inclusion of Newark on that list is ironic given that nj.com columnist/foodie Pete Genovese declared NJ a barbecue wasteland 6 years ago.

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2015/05/new_jersey_is_a_barbecue_wasteland_-_is_there_any.html

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hobsini2

Ah yes. When I think of BBQ havens, I think of Miami, Newark and Va Beach. Good God!

The real list of BBQ havens IMO are Charlotte, Birmingham, Memphis, St Louis, Kansas City, Okla City, Dallas, Denver and Des Moines.  I am very fortunate that Chicago is also
a haven. You just got to know where to go.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 15, 2021, 07:12:08 PM

What sort of injustice against humanity is this list? Also, kphoger, is the BBQ in Wichita good enough to be 3rd in the US?

Columbus?!?! Creoles & Cajuns aren't known for their BBQ either (New Orleans)
For me, Kansas City style first, Memphis style 2nd, Carolina style 3rd (though I have to be careful with BBQ meats, after a health scare couple of years back)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

OCGuy81

Whoa! No place in Texas makes the list? I find that hard to believe!

CoreySamson

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 18, 2021, 10:53:29 AM
I know, right! They also made a worst 10 cities list, and guess what, 4 of the 10 were Texan cities (including Houston and Fort Worth)! Houston belongs somewhere in the top 10 or 15 BBQ cities if you ask me.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

OCGuy81

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 18, 2021, 06:28:15 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 18, 2021, 10:53:29 AM
I know, right! They also made a worst 10 cities list, and guess what, 4 of the 10 were Texan cities (including Houston and Fort Worth)! Houston belongs somewhere in the top 10 or 15 BBQ cities if you ask me.

I've visited plenty of good BBQ places, especially when I used to travel a lot for work, and I'd say of my top 5, at least 2 of them were in Texas!

jakeroot

Natural gas when possible. But propane is fine. Just more of a PITA

Oh wait, sauce? Sweet and Spicy, then maybe Hawaiian. I like a lot of Asian BBQ sauces.

I think the above map combines all BBQ restaurants and then lists the top ten cities with the highest average ratings. I'm sure anywhere in Texas has more BBQ than Seattle (although we have our fair share of excellent BBQ!) but the average ratings among those Texas BBQ joints is lower than what is available in Seattle, even if there are more options.

Bruce

Korean BBQ.  :biggrin:

Grill it yourself and have plenty of banchan.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 28, 2021, 08:04:24 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 28, 2021, 07:58:39 PM
Do you like more Carolina style which is pork-centric and involves more of a vinegar sauce?

There are at least 3 Carolina styles out there...

My favorite is the one you cite, which is eastern NC style.

There is also central NC style (tomato-based...?) and SC style (mustard based).

I have also come to appreciate some Texas brisket.

I like the vinegar style but I don't like mustard base.  That is why it is difficult for me to find good BBQ in North Carolina.

ET21

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 19, 2021, 08:33:35 AM
Do you like more Carolina style which is pork-centric and involves more of a vinegar sauce?

I like the vinegar style but I don't like mustard base.  That is why it is difficult for me to find good BBQ in North Carolina.

I like eastern NC style, has a good taste
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Avalanchez71

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 19, 2021, 11:49:02 AM

I like a good vinegar based sauce as well versus a thicker BBQ sauce (though I like the latter, just not as much).

I'm certainly a sauce on the side type.  It's nice being able to apply as much or as little as you like.

The problem is that I frequent the western part of state and the restaurants usually just say Carolina sytle BBQ.  Hence the trouble finding non-mustard base.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

plain

Eastern NC for me please. I never really cared for BBQ sauce, not even on ribs lmao.

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 15, 2021, 11:30:46 PM
The inclusion of Newark on that list is ironic given that nj.com columnist/foodie Pete Genovese declared NJ a barbecue wasteland 6 years ago.

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2015/05/new_jersey_is_a_barbecue_wasteland_-_is_there_any.html

When I'm in Newark, the last thing on my mind is Barbecue! I've never even attempted to find it there.
Newark born, Richmond bred

OCGuy81

I'm with you on the vinegar style sauce.  I like all kinds of BBQ sauce, but vinegar based is certainly my favorite!

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

bwana39

I prefer Texas Barbecue overall.

I like Memphis style.

When I was a kid there was a style employed by the local African Americans that was hot and spicy. It was based around Louisiana style hot sauce (actually East Texas Hot Link sauce.) I cannot find anyone who even knows where to start on this.

We went to Kansas City and the barbecue joint we chose served some really good TEXAS BARBECUE. Cooked and served just like it would have been in Burnet, Austin, or Mount Pleasant.

Arkansas' style is like Texas but the focus is pork instead of Beef.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: plain on May 19, 2021, 02:05:27 PM
When I'm in Newark, the last thing on my mind is Barbecue! I've never even attempted to find it there.

So the sig does refer to the one in NJ.

The only thing they may be confusing with "barbecue" in Newark is the multitude of churrascaria and/or rodízio restaurants in the Ironbound. Rodízio is very good, but it certainly isn't barbecue!

formulanone

Quote from: nexus73 on April 02, 2021, 09:53:50 AM
If what I am eating tastes great, I am happy! 

I tend to agree; I'm not picky on BBQ, and find it hard to say no to it. I'd rather have: pork > beef > chicken, but I enjoy a variety of different sauces.

There's still an "I'm home" feeling with the Alabama way of doing things with lots of vinegar, so I'll root for the home team today, scarf down whatever I can get on the road tomorrow...

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: formulanone on June 02, 2021, 10:00:47 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on April 02, 2021, 09:53:50 AM
If what I am eating tastes great, I am happy! 

I tend to agree; I'm not picky on BBQ, and find it hard to say no to it. I'd rather have: pork > beef > chicken, but I enjoy a variety of different sauces.

There's still an "I'm home" feeling with the Alabama way of doing things with lots of vinegar, so I'll root for the home team today, scarf down whatever I can get on the road tomorrow...

Well, for me it's beef > chicken = pork.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 17, 2021, 04:32:39 PM
I hear Tulsa's pretty good too.

My favorite BBQ joint, Elmer's, recently closed. It disappointed me very much. Now I'll have to find a new favorite.

rlb2024

Having grown up in Memphis and lived in New Orleans for the past 40 years, the author of this chart has absolutely NO idea what he/she is talking about.

New Orleans as the number 1?  No way in hell.  They don't even have ANY decent BBQ around here.  New Orleans is great for a lot of cuisines (there is never an excuse for having a bad meal around here), but BBQ is definitely not one of them.

Being partial to my home town, I love Memphis style.  Especially dry rub with ribs (Rendezvous or Central BBQ).  Sorry, but the vinegar-based sauces in eastern North Carolina make me gag.  Texas is pretty good, even if it's the wrong animal.  You grill a cow, you barbecue a pig.  Simple as that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.