News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Dentist experience

Started by tolbs17, July 21, 2021, 09:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Sucks!

Root canals, dental implants, tooth extraction is painful and expensive.

Max Rockatansky

I actually had a great time when my Wisdom Teeth got pulled.  They doped me up with some sort of laughing gas and I don't think I've been had a more intense high in my life.  I felt like shit the next day but I wouldn't say any worse than a typical hangover.

kevinb1994

I've switched dentists over the years. Of course you need some sort of dentist that will serve your kids until they grow up and then switch them over.

tolbs17

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 21, 2021, 09:57:27 PM
I've switched dentists over the years. Of course you need some sort of dentist that will serve your kids until they grow up and then switch them over.
And not by just taking off a crown and putting it back on like some goddamn hygienists would do to me.

kevinb1994

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 21, 2021, 09:58:40 PM
And not by just taking off a crown and putting it back on like some goddamn hygienists would do to me.
I'm sorry? I don't think I've had that.

tolbs17

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 21, 2021, 09:59:29 PM
They got a really big crown that they hated so they put the old crown back on me until the get the right one.

kevinb1994

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 21, 2021, 10:03:10 PM
They got a really big crown that they hated so they put the old crown back on me until the get the right one.
Oh. Never had that.

tolbs17

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 21, 2021, 10:04:35 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 21, 2021, 10:03:10 PM
Oh. Never had that.
What I mean by old is temporary crown.

Scott5114

My dentist is a very kind, patient guy who learned dentistry in one of the armed forces (I want to say the Navy but I'm not sure) and has the best "bedside manner" of any medical professional I've dealt with. He will give you laughing gas for anything more invasive than a standard cleaning (even just a cavity filling) and pause the procedure and give you another dose of the numbing drugs if they start to wear off midway through.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

The dentist is fine. The toothpaste feels weird however.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Haven't been to the dentist in years.  Eventually, I'll have to get a nasty extraction and probably root canal performed.  That's because, back in 2009, I had a filling come out while I was chewing gum, so I have big old hole in that tooth that's just been collecting gunk all day every day.  Pieces of it have broken off in more recent years, so I'm not sure how much the dentist will have to work with by the time I actually go in for a procedure.

I don't have insurance, and I'm torn between going to a dentist in the US (more expensive but a more pleasant experience) and going to a dentist in Mexico (cheaper but often more painful).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

I've gone to the same dentist since the early 1980s; the only things I've needed other than routine cleanings (pauses to knock on wooden desk) have been having two teeth bonded to fill a gap and having my wisdom teeth pulled. My dentist is now in his early 70s and I wonder where I'll go when he retires. I suspect he will refer his patients to someone and I'll try that dentist before deciding.

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 21, 2021, 09:52:22 PM
Sucks!

I find it absolutely astonishing that someone age 19 would need any of those procedures, other than perhaps wisdom tooth extraction.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 22, 2021, 09:40:04 AM
I've gone to the same dentist since the early 1980s; the only things I've needed other than routine cleanings (pauses to knock on wooden desk) have been having two teeth bonded to fill a gap and having my wisdom teeth pulled. My dentist is now in his early 70s and I wonder where I'll go when he retires. I suspect he will refer his patients to someone and I'll try that dentist before deciding.

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 21, 2021, 09:52:22 PM
Sucks!

I find it absolutely astonishing that someone age 19 would need any of those procedures, other than perhaps wisdom tooth extraction.
Well, at least not in this day and age.  I knew someone who had her teeth removed and dentures put in at age 19 in the late 1960s.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

Does this thread mean that tolbs told his parents that his mouth was falling apart and he needed to go to the dentist?  Good for him.

wanderer2575

tolbs17

hbelkins

My childhood dentist was an absolutely great guy, but he was one of those old-school dentists who didn't numb you down when he worked on you. I hated having cavities filled or other work that required grinding or drilling. He retired when I was in college and years later when I was working in his hometown, I ran into him at a store. He recognized me. My dad happened to be with me, out in the car, and Dr. Comley made it a point to stop by and say hello. I also heard from several of his old assistants when I took that job; they remembered me and my family.

His replacement was a more modern-oriented dentist. He filled several cavities for me in the early 1980s and it was a painless procedure. He sold the practice and the new dentist (a female) was also great. They even were able to work on my wife, who was terrified of the dentist because of a bad childhood experience. I have no dread or fear of going to the dentist, except...

Prior to 2014, I was able to use a flexible spending account to pay for two cleanings/checkups a year (plus an annual eye exam and any necessary doctor visits, lab work, and prescriptions.) I also was able to afford extra dental work that needed to be done (some fillings and a few crowns, and I never had to have a root canal before getting the crowns.)

Then came the Unaffordable Care Act, a/k/a 0b@m@care. It ruined my health insurance coverage because my old plan, with low copays for office visits and prescriptions, wasn't eligible to be granfathered in. My new plan became deductible plus co-insurance, which meant my FSA got gobbled up quickly. My first routine blood work under the new plan, which would have cost me $15 out-of-pocket in my previous plan, cost me $700. I had to sacrifice something, and dental work was the choice. I didn't go to the dentist between 2014 and 2017, when I had a filling come out. They discovered that my gums were receding to the point that I needed something called SRP (scaling and root planing) on three of the four quadrants of my mouth. I only had one session done before I had my medical emergency that ate up all my budgeted health care funds for the year. And I haven't been back. I know the problem has gotten worse, and on top of that, I had a filling break out in two stages and I will need to have the remaining tooth extracted, probably surgically instead of being pulled because there's not enough left to grab on to. It's not bothering me now, but I know at some point I'll have to have it taken care of. I'll probably have to forego my annual eye exam that year to be able to afford it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 02:34:58 PM
c0v1d

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 02:27:35 PM
0b@m@care

You know we can't afford one of those high-falutin' automoderator bots that social media sites have, right? We're all humans that can read that...

Roadgeekteen

My childhood dentist was an absolutely great guy, but he was one of those old-school dentists who didn't numb you down when he worked on you. I hated having cavities filled or other work that required grinding or drilling. He retired when I was in college and years later when I was working in his hometown, I ran into him at a store. He recognized me. My dad happened to be with me, out in the car, and Dr. Comley made it a point to stop by and say hello. I also heard from several of his old assistants when I took that job; they remembered me and my family.

His replacement was a more modern-oriented dentist. He filled several cavities for me in the early 1980s and it was a painless procedure. He sold the practice and the new dentist (a female) was also great. They even were able to work on my wife, who was terrified of the dentist because of a bad childhood experience. I have no dread or fear of going to the dentist, except...

Prior to 2014, I was able to use a flexible spending account to pay for two cleanings/checkups a year (plus an annual eye exam and any necessary doctor visits, lab work, and prescriptions.) I also was able to afford extra dental work that needed to be done (some fillings and a few crowns, and I never had to have a root canal before getting the crowns.)

Then came the Unaffordable Care Act, a/k/a 0b@m@care. It ruined my health insurance coverage because my old plan, with low copays for office visits and prescriptions, wasn't eligible to be granfathered in. My new plan became deductible plus co-insurance, which meant my FSA got gobbled up quickly. My first routine blood work under the new plan, which would have cost me $15 out-of-pocket in my previous plan, cost me $700. I had to sacrifice something, and dental work was the choice. I didn't go to the dentist between 2014 and 2017, when I had a filling come out. They discovered that my gums were receding to the point that I needed something called SRP (scaling and root planing) on three of the four quadrants of my mouth. I only had one session done before I had my medical emergency that ate up all my budgeted health care funds for the year. And I haven't been back. I know the problem has gotten worse, and on top of that, I had a filling break out in two stages and I will need to have the remaining tooth extracted, probably surgically instead of being pulled because there's not enough left to grab on to. It's not bothering me now, but I know at some point I'll have to have it taken care of. I'll probably have to forego my annual eye exam that year to be able to afford it.
Let's keep politics out of this
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

Any moderator or admin action which is the purple text coming?

renegade

In b4 lock because some people can't let shit go.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 03:34:18 PM
Any moderator or admin action which is the purple text coming?

No action needed at this time.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2021, 03:19:29 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 02:34:58 PM
c0v1d

0b@m@care

You know we can't afford one of those high-falutin' automoderator bots that social media sites have, right? We're all humans that can read that...

The only real advantage is when one of you gets the bright idea of rendering–oh, I don't know–all instances of "Alanland" as "Magical Place of Destiny" or something.  If, say, HB were worried that all instances of "COVID" might get similarly messed with, then typing it funny would make sense.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Does a temporary or permanent crown feel better?

Rothman

Not sure how HB was unable to keep his previous plan and why it wasn't "grandfathered in."  I never had a plan through the exchange and I still get the form that states it counts as health insurance.  If his plan was better than what was being offered, then it should have met the requirements as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.