News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

US 460 (Petersburg, VA to Suffolk, VA)

Started by 74/171FAN, February 19, 2009, 06:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

That's not really the issue here.  The underlying issues here are high construction cost, the bad credit market, and the proposals submitted thus far still ask VDOT for more highway funding than they have available.

leifvanderwall

That's soon going to be case with many proposed routes if the economy will not improve soon

froggie

That's the case, period.  Consider that, as the economy improves...not just ours but the global economy...oil, cement, and steel will again be in demand, and so construction costs will once again increase.

74/171FAN

On Monday on the way to Blacksburg I noticed that US 460 on the Farmville Bypass has mile markers(for US 460 not US 15) now starting at 248(which is actually just west of the bypass) and ending at 256.

EDIT: I originally posted 255 but today I noticed it actually ended at 256.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

http://progress-index.com/news/plan-to-replace-u-s-460-carries-high-price-tag-1.876884
A July 2010 Story

A Facinating Road To compare costs its about 40 feet of pavement 4 10 foot lanes . I know a 3 lane in illinois -passing lanes or a center turn lane would be about as wide and those are running 3.5 million per mile. So just to recreate this road would be a couple of hundred million dollars.
It seems Construction expenses are still way high despite the economy

Alps

Quote from: 3467 on July 17, 2010, 11:42:10 PM
http://progress-index.com/news/plan-to-replace-u-s-460-carries-high-price-tag-1.876884
A July 2010 Story

A Facinating Road To compare costs its about 40 feet of pavement 4 10 foot lanes . I know a 3 lane in illinois -passing lanes or a center turn lane would be about as wide and those are running 3.5 million per mile. So just to recreate this road would be a couple of hundred million dollars.
It seems Construction expenses are still way high despite the economy

Seems like this would become an eastern extension of I-85.  Tolls would probably preclude this becoming an Interstate, but you never know.  Would it be an extension of I-264, would it be a revival of VA 264, would it be signed US 460...  Not to get too far into the fictional realm, but how about I-62?

froggie

QuoteSeems like this would become an eastern extension of I-85.

Not really.  As planned, the western terminus of the toll road is I-295.

QuoteWould it be an extension of I-264, would it be a revival of VA 264, would it be signed US 460...

VDOT is planning this as a US 460 replacement.

deathtopumpkins

http://www.wvec.com/traffic/news/VDOT--98835694.html

VDOT's agreed to pay part of the cost of a new US-460 toll road now.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

froggie

I have to wonder where the heck VDOT found the money to cover their part...

deathtopumpkins

Possibly the same place the state found that random $200 million budget surplus after saying they were broke?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

froggie

Unless they furloughed more VDOT personnel than they said they would, I don't think that'll be the case.

froggie

VDOT posted a news release today stating that they have received 3 proposals for constructing US 460...submissions were due by the 7th (this past Tuesday).  Not surprisingly, one of the groups is headed by Cinta.  Curiously, another of the groups includes Bank of America.

VDOT has 30 days to review and quality-check the proposals before approving them for the next step in the process.  Those proposals that are accepted will be posted on the project website.

njroadhorse

Am I the only one that thinks the US 460 and US 58 designations should be switched?  US 460 covers a lot more ground than US 58 does, and serves more important areas than US 58.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

deathtopumpkins

Would the number fit though? i.e., does 460 cross 60? And wouldn't an odd first digit be better suited to replace US 58, considering that only one end of it is at US 60?

Personally though I would prefer they not be switched. Everyone around here already knows of them by those numbers.

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 10, 2010, 07:07:31 PM
Would the number fit though? i.e., does 460 cross 60? And wouldn't an odd first digit be better suited to replace US 58, considering that only one end of it is at US 60?

Personally though I would prefer they not be switched. Everyone around here already knows of them by those numbers.
Ask US 44 or US 46 how close a highway needs to be to the grid.  Answer: off by one route isn't so bad.  US highway spurs do not obey Interstate numbering for digits - there are almost no loops out there, so they're just numbered consecutively.  (Check out 202)  Finally, yes, 58 and certainly 460 are well ingrained in people's knowledge.  Switching routes was a lot more common for the first 30-40 years of the highway system, for good reason.

deathtopumpkins

Just because other numbers fall outside the grid doesn't mean they should. I guess numbers making sense is just my personal preference though.

TheStranger

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 11, 2010, 12:24:21 PM
Just because other numbers fall outside the grid doesn't mean they should. I guess numbers making sense is just my personal preference though.

I think the only US route numbers that were truly strongly linked to a grid are the x0 and x1 routes - and even then, that can be debatable (i.e. US 11 in particular).
Chris Sampang

hbelkins

460's western terminus is at 60 in Frankfort, KY. They cross (actually have a one-block wrong-way concurrency) in Mt. Sterling, KY. 460's eastern terminus is at 60 in Norfolk, VA.

58's eastern terminus is at 60 in Virginia Beach.

What really needs to be flip-flopped is US 460 and KY 114.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: hbelkins on September 11, 2010, 05:21:22 PM

460's western terminus is at 60 in Frankfort, KY. They cross (actually have a one-block wrong-way concurrency) in Mt. Sterling, KY. 460's eastern terminus is at 60 in Norfolk, VA.

58's eastern terminus is at 60 in Virginia Beach.

Exactly, so the current number works.

TheStranger

Quote from: hbelkins on September 11, 2010, 05:21:22 PM
What really needs to be flip-flopped is US 460 and KY 114.

I wonder why KYTC hasn't applyed for putting 460 on the 114 corridor, instead of retaining the existing indirect routing...

The similar example I can think of is US 395 near Susanville, CA (where the county road A3 is more direct), but I think that has been intentionally retained to serve the larger community in that area.

Fixed quote, and while I was at it, fixed KYTC reference.

Chris Sampang

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

(Raising this thread from the dead...)

The new 460's construction start date and toll rate have been revealed.
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/2012/oct/16/3/us-460-toll-project-to-begin-in-2014-ar-2287308/
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

This just in from the broken record department (I suppose I am dating myself with that phrase) in the Richmond Times-Dispatch article posted by Takumi above:

Quote"This project is an enormous waste of taxpayer dollars that will cause significant environmental damage," said Trip Pollard with the Southern Environmental Law Center. "It is a boondoggle that is nowhere near the most pressing transportation need for Virginia, or even Hampton Roads."

QuoteThe project will cost the state "over a billion dollars in cash and allow tolls to be imposed for decades to support speculative development," he said. "We should improve the existing 460 rather than build an unneeded new 55-mile highway."

QuoteDavid Dickson with the Sierra Club's Virginia Chapter said, "We continue to oppose this environmentally destructive and unneeded project."

Quote"The commonwealth's transportation dollars could be much better spent improving safety on the existing Route 460," Dickson said, "and providing for the real transportation needs of Hampton Roads, including moving forward with the Patriots Crossing (tunnel and bridge system between Interstate 564 in Norfolk and the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel) and expanding high capacity transit."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.