News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways with normal exits and at-grade intersections

Started by someone17, July 31, 2020, 03:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 31, 2020, 03:28:47 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 31, 2020, 03:21:00 PM
The only "Interstate" that readily comes to mind as qualifying for this, setting aside Breezewood, is the legendary I-366 in Virginia.

Not I-40 and I-10 in West Texas?

I-17 has a couple at grade ranch intersections too. 

webny99

Quote from: steviep24 on July 31, 2020, 05:09:32 PM
I86 / NY17 which is discussed in this thread

Is that one of the only New York examples?
I can't think of many others that switch back and forth between freeway and expressway, unless you count the Lake Ontario State Parkway. And NY 5S, maybe?

New York lacks expressways in general, so I guess it's not too surprising that there's not tons of examples.
Other states have tons of rural corridors that have had interchanges added to major junctions over the years, but that type of thing is glaringly absent here.

ilpt4u

The only "Interstate" that readily comes to mind as qualifying for this, setting aside Breezewood, is the legendary I-366 in Virginia.
The "other"  "Interstate"  to qualify would be I-78 in New Jersey, on approach to/from the Holland Tunnel

Big John

WI 29 is part freeway and expressway.  It is slowly converting to freeway. I would die before it was finished.

Takumi

VA 150 has several at-grades, and a couple of signals, between the Forest Hill and VA 147 exits.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hobsini2

I think a better way to ask this question is are there sections of expressway that has at grade intersections between interchanges?

If  that's what you were going for, IL Rte 83 between I-88 and 55th St would qualify since it has one at grade intersection that is a RI-RO at Oakmont Ln. However, the southern part US 41 Lake Shore Dr would not qualify as the expressway sections do not include Waldron Dr to Monroe St. Waldron to Monroe is considered a city boulevard. The section between Monroe St and Hollywood Blvd would qualify with signaled intersections at Erie St and Chicago Ave.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hbelkins

Virginia official maps are really good at differentiating between freeway and non-freeway portions of four-lane routes. Look at routes like US 23 or US 19 and you'll see them switch back and forth between blue (freeway) and red (surface route).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

steviep24

Quote from: webny99 on July 31, 2020, 08:59:01 PM

I can't think of many others that switch back and forth between freeway and expressway, unless you count the Lake Ontario State Parkway. And NY 5S, maybe?

New York lacks expressways in general, so I guess it's not too surprising that there's not tons of examples.
Other states have tons of rural corridors that have had interchanges added to major junctions over the years, but that type of thing is glaringly absent here.
There's NY 104 and NY 33 as well that have freeway like sections.

thspfc

US-151 in Wisconsin, especially from the Iowa border to Madison, then again from Columbus to Fond du Lac.

dvferyance

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 31, 2020, 05:41:07 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on July 31, 2020, 05:12:44 PM
There are some at grade intersections on US-13-58-460 by Suffolk VA despite being marked as a freeway.

Who marks it as a freeway?  If it's a mapmaker or online mapping system, they are often prone to errors.
Rand McNally does.

Ketchup99

Quote from: dvferyance on August 01, 2020, 07:53:37 PM
There are some at grade intersections on US-13-58-460 by Suffolk VA despite being marked as a freeway.

Who marks it as a freeway?  If it's a mapmaker or online mapping system, they are often prone to errors.
Rand McNally does.
Google Maps has lots of "freeways" with at-grades - NY-17 through Hale Eddy, the at-grades in West Texas, I-69 in TX, US-15 in PA, MA-128, and I'm sure there are more.

Scott5114

Often, this takes the form of a road that's been built up to expressway standards, on the spot, over the years, then upgrades to a freeway as it bypasses a town, then drops back down to expressway afterward. Missouri is particularly prone to this development pattern.

Quote from: Ketchup99 on August 01, 2020, 08:18:44 PM

Rand McNally does.
Google Maps has lots of "freeways" with at-grades - NY-17 through Hale Eddy, the at-grades in West Texas, I-69 in TX, US-15 in PA, MA-128, and I'm sure there are more.

I think just about every map would mark I-10 and I-40 in West Texas as a freeway, considering that the at-grades are there for the benefit of a few dozen people in the world. Even OpenStreetMap, where you just know deep down that a pedant has probably caused a fuss about it at some point.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Road Hog

Rural Texas is chock-full of these. US 82 alone in North Texas is a complete mix of interchanges, at-grades and driveways from Gainesville to Honey Grove.

amroad17

US 30 and US 35 throughout Ohio.  US 33 from St. Mary's, OH to I-75 in Wapakoneta, OH.  OH 32 from Cincinnati (Eastgate) to Mt Orab, OH.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

debragga

US-165 in Monroe, LA has an interchange with I-20, an exit for US-80, lots of at-grade intersections, and a ton of driveways on the portions without service roads.

epzik8

US 40 in Maryland between Baltimore and the Delaware line has interchanges at MD 700, MD 43, MD 715 and MD 22 in addition to many traffic lights.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jmacswimmer

I don't think anyone's mentioned US 48/Corridor H yet, but that would certainly qualify for this thread.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 31, 2020, 05:46:12 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 31, 2020, 03:59:21 PM
A few that come to mind for me in MD: US 301 on the eastern shore, MD 4 & MD 5 southeast of the Capital Beltway, US 15 from Frederick up to the PA border.

This strikes me as extremely common. VA-286 is an example near me. US-29 in Virginia is another example (freeway bypasses of several towns or cities, at-grade most of the rest of the way).

I had no idea what this was referring to, so I googled "interstate 366", and the top hit was an old thread from this same forum.  5 minutes of light reading later, I understood....Thanks for brightening my afternoon :-D

You want some more "light reading" ?  Try this thread.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7720.0

Don't worry, I checked that one out pretty quickly after joining the forum :-D
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

sprjus4

Quote from: skluth on July 31, 2020, 05:56:40 PM
I wondered that, too. I lived in Portsmouth from 2003-07 and nobody I knew considered it a freeway between Bowers Hill and the Suffolk center bypass, just a very nice, flat stretch of four lane road with no stops. It's no different than US 17 near the NC border, just a different edge to the Great Dismal Swamp.
The US-58 / US-460 / US-13 segment through the swamp is 6 lanes, but agreed, nice straight stretch of road. Easy to hit 70+ mph flowing with traffic. Whoever made the decision to make it 6 lanes in the 1970s was truly thinking long term, unlike I-664 and I-64 which are still only 4 lanes.

sprjus4

US-77 / US-59 (Future I-69 / I-69E) between Refugio and Houston in Texas is a mix of non-limited-access divided highway, rural interchanges, and limited access freeway segments on some bypasses.

4 lanes 75 mph throughout, no traffic signals.

STLmapboy

Literally all of Iowa's four lane expressways. Same in MO with US-60 and US-67 and US-61 and US-36 and--

Now that I think about, yes, this is extremely common. Especially on US routes.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

thspfc

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 03, 2020, 06:55:32 PM
Literally all of Iowa's four lane expressways. Same in MO with US-60 and US-67 and US-61 and US-36 and--

Now that I think about, yes, this is extremely common. Especially on US routes.
Seems to me like it's most common in the Midwest.

WNYroadgeek

I-690 has an at-grade intersection providing access to a parking lot used for the state fair. Not surprisingly, it's only ever used during the fair.

(And speaking of 690, let's also not forget that its original interchange with the Thruway also had an at-grade intersection.)

ctkatz

ct 9 fits that.  that road is essentially all limited access interchanges with interstate speed limits except for one section that has suburban surface street speed limits and stoplights.  it actually designates these at grade intersections as exits, one of the strangest things I've seen on a road.

kphoger

Rand McNally does.

E-mail them about the error, and provide evidence to support your claim.

Years ago, RMN had US-65 drawn as a freeway all the way from Springfield to Branson, MO.  One or two editions after I e-mailed them with evidence that it has at-grade intersections, it was no longer drawn as a full freeway.

(Two other errors I pointed out were not fixed, however.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

-- US 175 --

Quote from: Road Hog on August 01, 2020, 11:03:41 PM
Rural Texas is chock-full of these. US 82 alone in North Texas is a complete mix of interchanges, at-grades and driveways from Gainesville to Honey Grove.

Other examples are US 175  ;-) for much of its length, as well as a good bit of US 287, especially from the DFW area to Amarillo.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.