News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 17

Started by roadwaywiz95, March 14, 2020, 10:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJStephens

Quote from: Sonic99 on September 19, 2023, 04:52:36 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 18, 2023, 03:47:30 PM
Looks like I-17 near downtown Phoenix could potentially get a speed limit upgrade to 65MPH: https://azdot.gov/news/adot-conducting-public-survey-about-i-17-speed-limit-phoenix

On one hand, I feel like everybody already does 65-70 through the whole section anyway. On the other, this is also the oldest section of freeway in the Valley and feels very narrow and has a LOT of traffic seemingly at all times, so encouraging people to go even faster might not be a good idea. Overall, this section really feels like it's out of place among the rest of the Phoenix freeway system which feels very open and flowing (especially once the I-10 Broadway Curve project is done next year and discussions genuinely need to be had about doing a complete rebuild to add capacity. The problem is even the slightest mention of it instantly makes you think about just how bleeping expensive it would be. If Broadway Curve was $600,000,000+, any rebuild of I-17 would absolutely be over a Billion dollar project.
Believe at one time (nineties perhaps) there was reconstruction of 17 north of 10.  Where at least four GP lanes in each direction were squeezed underneath modified, or in some instances replacement bridge overpasses.   If the road was COMPLETELY reconstructed, could a 5 x 5 facility, with HOT/HOV lanes and full shoulders be squeezed in, without any ROW acquisitions?  Am guessing no.   

Sonic99

Quote from: DJStephens on October 01, 2023, 01:41:52 PM
Looks like I-17 near downtown Phoenix could potentially get a speed limit upgrade to 65MPH: https://azdot.gov/news/adot-conducting-public-survey-about-i-17-speed-limit-phoenix

On one hand, I feel like everybody already does 65-70 through the whole section anyway. On the other, this is also the oldest section of freeway in the Valley and feels very narrow and has a LOT of traffic seemingly at all times, so encouraging people to go even faster might not be a good idea. Overall, this section really feels like it's out of place among the rest of the Phoenix freeway system which feels very open and flowing (especially once the I-10 Broadway Curve project is done next year and discussions genuinely need to be had about doing a complete rebuild to add capacity. The problem is even the slightest mention of it instantly makes you think about just how bleeping expensive it would be. If Broadway Curve was $600,000,000+, any rebuild of I-17 would absolutely be over a Billion dollar project.
Believe at one time (nineties perhaps) there was reconstruction of 17 north of 10.  Where at least four GP lanes in each direction were squeezed underneath modified, or in some instances replacement bridge overpasses.   If the road was COMPLETELY reconstructed, could a 5 x 5 facility, with HOT/HOV lanes and full shoulders be squeezed in, without any ROW acquisitions?  Am guessing no.

I do remember that. They squeezed in one more lane each direction and replaced a couple of the overpasses. But yeah, anything beyond the current configuration would be astronomically expensive. They're right up against their ROW's with the frontage roads and with so much facing them, it would be impossible to remove the frontage roads without also acquiring all those properties. There's just no way I see that happening.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

kdk

I remember that as well, it did help modernize things a bit without adding ROW.  Then after the double decker concept was proposed, as it would have been cheaper than acquiring all the ROW to widen around there.  There was immediate public outcry then so the plan didn't go too far.

Sonic99

Quote from: kdk on October 02, 2023, 06:20:45 PM

I remember that as well, it did help modernize things a bit without adding ROW.  Then after the double decker concept was proposed, as it would have been cheaper than acquiring all the ROW to widen around there.  There was immediate public outcry then so the plan didn't go too far.

Just purely based on what I've seen in a couple other places, I wonder if some kind of elevated Express Lanes could be the most realistic solution to expand capacity on 17. Yeah, it would also be an incredibly expensive task, but basically the only other alternative is to buy all the property next to the frontage roads and remove them, it might not actually be as unreasonable as you might think in comparison.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Sonic99 on October 07, 2023, 03:41:30 AM
Quote from: kdk on October 02, 2023, 06:20:45 PM

Just purely based on what I've seen in a couple other places, I wonder if some kind of elevated Express Lanes could be the most realistic solution to expand capacity on 17. Yeah, it would also be an incredibly expensive task, but basically the only other alternative is to buy all the property next to the frontage roads and remove them, it might not actually be as unreasonable as you might think in comparison.

ADOT has approved the speed limit increase to 65 mph on I-17 between the I-10 interchange and Peoria Avenue...

https://fronterasdesk.org/content/1861022/adot-raising-speed-limit-section-i-17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnLBRWlMEYc

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.