News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Excluding states that border yours, what out of state plates do you mostly see?

Started by OCGuy81, March 06, 2024, 04:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 08, 2024, 06:18:00 AM
In Rhode ISland, most of the out-of state plates besides MA and CT are New York, New Jersey, and Florida. The former two have discovered RI as an ideal place for second homes...cheaper than the Hamptons and 2 hours closer to home than the Cape. 
FYI, Rhode Island and New York have a water border.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on March 08, 2024, 12:41:30 PM

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 08, 2024, 06:18:00 AM
In Rhode ISland, most of the out-of state plates besides MA and CT are New York, New Jersey, and Florida. The former two have discovered RI as an ideal place for second homes...cheaper than the Hamptons and 2 hours closer to home than the Cape. 

FYI, Rhode Island and New York have a water border.

It still fits the spirit of the thread, because you cannot drive directly between New York and Rhode Island (notwithstanding the Montauk–Block Island ferry).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

fhmiii

Colorado and Texas, hands-down.

We see lots of Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas (of course), Illinoi, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.  Not so many Arkansas or Kentucky, at least on in the Northwest corner of the state.

Tennessee may not be as common as I think. I have several family members that live there so maybe I just pick up on it.

Flint1979

In Michigan, I see a lot of Florida, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Georgia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, California, Arizona.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

VortexJamz

Up in New York I tend to see plates from Maryland, Ohio, Maine and oddly enough California.
I had more fun cruising on the Pennsylvania Turnpike than I did at Disney World.

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

loosegravel

Here in Texas I notice plates from California, Florida, Michigan, & Minnesota.

andrepoiy

In the Greater Toronto Area, probably Alberta. In Kingston, ON, during school months, it would be BC (due to the number BC students coming here for studies)

Dough4872

CovalenceSTU

Where I am in Oregon:
  • British Columbia
  • Iowa (surprisingly)
  • Montana

froggie

Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on March 07, 2024, 06:06:45 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 07, 2024, 05:08:14 PMYeah I was going to say Texas. A ton of rental cars are tagged from there.

This is true, but TX/FL are also popular retirement/wintering states for Midwesterners, so that probably also explains some of it in MN/WI.

Another possible explanation is, especially in southern Minnesota west of Mankato, there are a lot of migrant farm workers.  Most of the Texas plates I see here are for that reason.

Since I never responded in the original 2020 thread, I'll respond here.  The bulk of non-adjacent out-of-state plates in Vermont hail from predictable locations:  Maine, Connecticut, and New Jersey.  During the summer, we also see a lot of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia up here.

JayhawkCO

I think for the category of "states you least likely see", this plate I saw yesterday takes the cake.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 16, 2024, 11:36:22 AMI think for the category of "states you least likely see", this plate I saw yesterday takes the cake.

Most likely Air Force officer who just transferred. They will pay to ship your car.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Yep. I see a fair amount of Hawai'i plates. I had only ever seen a Guam plate a) in Guam or b) on the wall in my garage in my license plate collection.

SP Cook

In WV:

E-W roads: Indiana, Illinois, Missouri.
N-S roads: Ontario, New York, North Carolina.

bing101

Quote from: pderocco on March 06, 2024, 11:26:01 PM
Quote from: bing101 on March 06, 2024, 06:02:32 PM
Quote from: pderocco on March 06, 2024, 05:28:09 PMI live in San Diego, so not surprisingly the most common are either Arizona or some Mexican state (I never notice which). Beyond that, the other bordering states, Nevada and Oregon are fairly common, but Washington seems a little more common than Oregon.

When I was an avid street skater, I used to occupy my mind by looking at license plates. I always noticed that Massachusetts plates were at least twice as common as New York plates around here, which seems odd given their relative populations, and the fact that they're both very far away. I wonder if NY is skewed because so many residents live in NYC and simply don't have cars. Or maybe it's their provincial views, as famously satirized by Saul Steinberg's New Yorker cover half a century ago.
Wow never knew some parts of San Diego have lots of Massachusetts residents or tourists.
Not lots. Certainly far fewer than western states. But there's a noticeable disparity.

True too but then again I see more Texas License plates here in NorCal given the recent hype in my area for people in NorCal to move to places like Austin, Dallas and Houston areas. 

kkt

We see quite a few Alaska plates, considering how small its population is.  Another case of having their car shipped if they're moving or just come down south for the winter.  Turn the car over to the shipping company, get on a plane to Seattle, get the car a week later in Tacoma.  Expect to need a new battery.

wriddle082

In South Carolina, it's Ohio.  Definitely Ohio.  Waaaaay too much Ohio.  Virginia and Florida are also up there.

When I lived in Tennessee, it was usually Illinois and Texas.

bzakharin

I think it's Maryland here in southern NJ, although I'm not 100% sure.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.