Evansville: University Parkway nears completion

Started by mukade, November 07, 2011, 09:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mukade

On a recent trip to Evansville, I was surprised to see an almost expressway quality road being built on the west edge of Evansville. It connects SR 66 with SR 62 terminating at the University of Southern Indiana. The project was funded by INDOT, but this is a Vanderburgh County highway. An article from the Evansville Courier Press about the new road is here.

University Parkway south section in October, 2011

SR 62 (Lloyd Expressway) WB approaching University Parkway

tdindy88

Are there plans for this to head up to I-64 in the future, the routing seems so logical for a connection up that way for traffic that doesn't want to take 41 or 164?

RoadWarrior56

I love the last photo, I grew up less than a mile from that scene, and my dad still lives there.  A little history of that section of SR 62 - This section was originally constructed in the late 50's as a two-lane expressway with right-of-way for the future lanes.  Broadway/Lower Mt. Vernon Rd. was the original SR 62.  The eastbound lanes were constructed first.  The westbound lanes opened in August 1973 making it a four-lane facility.  The interchange was constructed in the early to mid 90's.  Before that, there was an at-grade intersection at University of Southern Indiana.  My dad was a prof there until he retired.

mukade

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 08, 2011, 11:22:25 AM
Are there plans for this to head up to I-64 in the future, the routing seems so logical for a connection up that way for traffic that doesn't want to take 41 or 164?

I don't live there, but my guess is that it would not go to I-64. SR 65 extends north from fairly close to Univ. Pkwy's northern terminus. What Evansville needs more than that is a faster E-W highway, IMO.

mukade

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on November 08, 2011, 12:15:19 PM
I love the last photo, I grew up less than a mile from that scene, and my dad still lives there.  A little history of that section of SR 62 - This section was originally constructed in the late 50's as a two-lane expressway with right-of-way for the future lanes.  Broadway/Lower Mt. Vernon Rd. was the original SR 62.  The eastbound lanes were constructed first.  The westbound lanes opened in August 1973 making it a four-lane facility.  The interchange was constructed in the early to mid 90's.  Before that, there was an at-grade intersection at University of Southern Indiana.  My dad was a prof there until he retired.

So some questions:
1) When did they start building University Pkwy. as a divided highway?
2) Lloyd Expy. is a pretty nice highway from east of US 41 to Fulton Avenue. West of Fulton somewhere, it gets very congested. Will they ever add more interchanges to correct that congestion?
3) As a highway designer and someone familiar with Evansville, why is the Lloyd Expressway from US 41 to Fulton Ave. not considered a freeway? Sight distances?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.