News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Queen Elizabeth II dies at age 96

Started by NWI_Irish96, September 08, 2022, 11:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 12, 2022, 07:23:15 PM
One thing that I find very interesting is that the media–both in the UK and in the US–are portraying the Queen's death as an occasion for widespread mourning, that everyone is universally distraught, the country is basically shut down, etc. Reports on the ground on social media, however, show that it's mostly business as usual; most people are already over it, if they were even grief-stricken at all.

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 13, 2022, 04:58:33 AM
The Guardian is reporting that people have been standing in line for five to seven hours to file past the Queen's coffin in St. Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, so there are definitely mourners aplenty.

Are we equivocating on the definition of "mourn", though?  Attending a funeral service, wake, or burial isn't the same thing as being distraught or grief-stricken.  Even when a personal friend dies, a person might take off a half-day from work to attend the funeral but otherwise go on with "business as usual", and any grieving or shock would likely wear off within a short period of time–unless that friend had been particularly close.

But I agree with Scott, that the media have portrayed people as being dumbfounded, shocked, grief-stricken, unable to comprehend the loss of their queen.  I remember hearing a radio interview with a Scottish serviceman who, upon hearing of the Queen's death, immediately left town and traveled across the country in a whirlwind of emotion–with no indication by the media outlet that his story was anything but an exemplar of the populace at large.

For what it's worth, I imagine there would be more actual grief and disbelief if the Queen had died unexpectedly at age 47.  But there's a lot less shock to a 98-year-old passing away.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on September 13, 2022, 01:40:09 PMAre we equivocating on the definition of "mourn", though?  Attending a funeral service, wake, or burial isn't the same thing as being distraught or grief-stricken.  Even when a personal friend dies, a person might take off a half-day from work to attend the funeral but otherwise go on with "business as usual", and any grieving or shock would likely wear off within a short period of time–unless that friend had been particularly close.

I think we are also equivocating on media.  I can't speak for the sources Scott is referring to, but I've been following the news of Queen Elizabeth's death primarily through the Guardian, which has long been the most republican of British broadsheet newspapers, and has run multiple pieces on, e.g., how republican advocacy groups are handling Elizabeth's death and Charles' accession to the throne (basically keeping their powder dry until his presumed latent unpopularity surfaces after a honeymoon period), or how arresting anti-monarchy protesters does not square with the right to protest.  Even the Washington Post has noted it was business as usual a day or so after the Queen's passing, partly because businesses can't afford to leave money on the table with a cost-of-living crisis on.  I don't watch the news on TV, don't follow the red-tops, and don't use any news feeds, so those are dimensions of the coverage I know I'm not getting.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Duke87

Quote from: kphoger on September 13, 2022, 01:40:09 PM
Are we equivocating on the definition of "mourn", though?  Attending a funeral service, wake, or burial isn't the same thing as being distraught or grief-stricken.  Even when a personal friend dies, a person might take off a half-day from work to attend the funeral but otherwise go on with "business as usual", and any grieving or shock would likely wear off within a short period of time–unless that friend had been particularly close.

Well or a lot of people will go through the motions of attending the wake for a friend's parent or something out of a sense of obligation without actually otherwise experiencing any negative emotion about the matter.

I think that's the big thing here with the "national period of mourning". No, people aren't beside themselves. No, people aren't being forced under threat of getting thrown in the gulag to feign grief for the camera. But people still feel a sense of patriotic duty to acknowledge the situation somehow because the royal family serves as iconography central to the national identity of the British (and to a lesser degree, Canadians, Australians, etc.) much in the same way that the flag or bald eagles do for Americans.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on September 13, 2022, 11:54:13 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 13, 2022, 03:37:54 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 12, 2022, 08:45:17 PM
What exactly are we expecting, DPRK-style mourning? Of course people are going about their business. It's not a fascist monarchy.

They've arrested people for protesting too close to the funeral procession, so...

I assume that was in the name of "breach of the King's peace". Not exactly a new law.

That, and the Public Order Act. Either way, it's not exactly something that squares with the assertion that "it's not a fascist monarchy" in my mind.

If that happened in the US, the ACLU would have a plane packed with lawyers in the air in minutes, en route to file a First Amendment lawsuit.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Duke87

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 13, 2022, 06:19:00 PM
That, and the Public Order Act. Either way, it's not exactly something that squares with the assertion that "it's not a fascist monarchy" in my mind.

If that happened in the US, the ACLU would have a plane packed with lawyers in the air in minutes, en route to file a First Amendment lawsuit.

Yes, well, the US fought a literal war to overthrow this monarchy so things wouldn't be like that here. :sombrero:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

mgk920

Quote from: Duke87 on September 13, 2022, 07:42:03 PM

Yes, well, the US fought a literal war to overthrow this monarchy so things wouldn't be like that here. :sombrero:

Yes, the Revolution and then the War of 1812 to preserve it.  Since then the two countries have been the best of friends in both War and peace.

I have been off and on watching the proceedings as a curiosity.

Mike

elsmere241

Quote from: Duke87 on September 13, 2022, 06:17:13 PM
I think that's the big thing here with the "national period of mourning". No, people aren't beside themselves. No, people aren't being forced under threat of getting thrown in the gulag to feign grief for the camera. But people still feel a sense of patriotic duty to acknowledge the situation somehow because the royal family serves as iconography central to the national identity of the British (and to a lesser degree, Canadians, Australians, etc.) much in the same way that the flag or bald eagles do for Americans.

Yes, it's telling that the UK's national anthem is about the monarchy, while the USA's is about the flag.

US 89

Interestingly, there is at present only one high-quality recording of God Save the King with the correct lyrics - made by a French opera singer in 2017.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on September 13, 2022, 11:54:13 AM

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 13, 2022, 03:37:54 AM

Quote from: jakeroot on September 12, 2022, 08:45:17 PM
What exactly are we expecting, DPRK-style mourning? Of course people are going about their business. It's not a fascist monarchy.

They've arrested people for protesting too close to the funeral procession, so...

I assume that was in the name of "breach of the King's peace". Not exactly a new law.

The US has various laws against 'disturbing the peace' and 'disorderly conduct', but I wouldn't say that makes the USA a fascist authoritarian regime.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

on_wisconsin

The BBC is streaming its funeral coverage on YouTube (no geoblocks):

https://youtu.be/V_gy9DFtw5U

Most local PBS stations are also simulcasting the Beeb's coverage, https://www.pbs.org/livestream/ .
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

triplemultiplex

I'm annoyed that PBS bumped part 2 of the latest Ken Burns doc on Monday night for this queen bullshit.  Like seriously, a re-broadcast of that instead of one of your tent-pole content producers?  Dumb move, PBS!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: Jeff Foxworthy
The president's on!  He's on every channel!  We're gonna miss Flipper!!!
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 20, 2022, 02:44:07 PM
I'm annoyed that PBS bumped part 2 of the latest Ken Burns doc on Monday night for this queen bullshit.  Like seriously, a re-broadcast of that instead of one of your tent-pole content producers?  Dumb move, PBS!

Something tells me even Ken Burns himself would place his documentary second to the death of QE2.

Scott5114

Covering it live? Yeah, maybe that's justifiable.

Bumping prime-time content to show a rerun of an event that was already broadcasted live? Dumb programming decision.

Doing that in 2022 when anyone who missed it live could just watch it online? Incredibly idiotic decision.

bulldog1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 21, 2022, 01:54:39 AM
Covering it live? Yeah, maybe that's justifiable.

Bumping prime-time content to show a rerun of an event that was already broadcasted live? Dumb programming decision.

Doing that in 2022 when anyone who missed it live could just watch it online? Incredibly idiotic decision.

You presume that everyone has Internet access and the capability to stream video content, let alone cable. Were my grandmother still alive, she'd have exactly two options: set an alarm clock to wake up quite early to watch the funeral live, or rely on a repeat broadcast. Remember that London and Windsor are 5 hours ahead of the US East Coast, so live coverage started here on my local station at 5:30 am EDT. The time difference gets even greater in other time zones, pushing it earlier and earlier.

This isn't really that much different than the coverage of the Olympics in terms of the broadcast logistics, except that the schedule of events for the Olympics is known years in advance, and we had just about 9 days notice for this once-in-a-lifetime event.

Scott5114

And there are people who don't have indoor plumbing yet either, yet society doesn't go out of its way to accommodate for those few.

It would be one thing if we lived in the country she was actually queen of. But we don't. Her death is a mere curiosity here. It doesn't justify prime time coverage.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 21, 2022, 06:50:43 AM
And there are people who don't have indoor plumbing yet either, yet society doesn't go out of its way to accommodate for those few.

I personally know multiple people right here in Wichita without internet access.  I don't know anyone here without indoor plumbing.

For example, think about all the people in nursing homes who don't have a computer in their room, but who follow the news on TV.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

What are the typical demographics of PBS viewers? I suspect, but don't know for certain, that their evening viewership tends to skew older than many other networks' average viewership, and I suspect that might be a significant factor in their programming decisions. (With that said, I know they have a streaming service, PBS Passport, that is available to people who donate more than a certain relatively minimal amount, I think $60 per year. My wife has PBS Passport access and watches it fairly heavily.)

My impression is that PBS heavily re-runs a lot of programming anyway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 21, 2022, 09:30:32 AM
What are the typical demographics of PBS viewers? I suspect, but don't know for certain, that their evening viewership tends to skew older than many other networks' average viewership, and I suspect that might be a significant factor in their programming decisions. (With that said, I know they have a streaming service, PBS Passport, that is available to people who donate more than a certain relatively minimal amount, I think $60 per year. My wife has PBS Passport access and watches it fairly heavily.)

I think the particular problem was that evening PBS was due to air one of their most-anticipated original programs in a long time. Even people that don't normally watch PBS had made plans to watch. If the queen's funeral had been any other day, nobody would have cared if PBS reran it in prime time.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

GaryV

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 21, 2022, 09:37:51 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 21, 2022, 09:30:32 AM

I think the particular problem was that evening PBS was due to air one of their most-anticipated original programs in a long time. Even people that don't normally watch PBS had made plans to watch. If the queen's funeral had been any other day, nobody would have cared if PBS reran it in prime time.
They ran the Ken Burns episode immediately after the funeral recap. They sent out notices to subscribers and/or Facebook followers that they were going to do that. They noted that members could watch it on Passport at their convenience. It's not like this was a sudden decision that screwed up the world.

BTW, my wife and I liked watching the evening 1-1/2 hour program instead of watching the coverage starting from early morning and lasting many hours.

jakeroot

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 21, 2022, 06:50:43 AM
It would be one thing if we lived in the country she was actually queen of. But we don't. Her death is a mere curiosity here. It doesn't justify prime time coverage.

Okay ....

(A) the British Monarchy has been an obsession in this country for decades. Not being in the monarchy has nothing to do with our interest in it; the US is part of the Anglosphere. As well, plenty of other countries have covered her death extensively, many of whom are not British in any way.

(B) PBS thrives on British content. Zero people should be surprised that they would give prime time coverage to the death of QE2.

triplemultiplex

PBS has like four over the air channels.  Put the queen shit on one of those channels.  I'm sure the guys on This Old House or the quilting lady will understand.  Everybody is happy then: the people desperate for quality documentary programming in an era of dogshit about UFO's and ghosts, and the people who fetishize some other country's corrupt, anachronistic figurehead system.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

If PBS expected their viewership for the documentary to be less than for the funeral replay . . . then give the people what they want.
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

It's common for live broadcast content that takes place at inconvenient times to be repeated in prime time when it's easier for people to watch it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.