News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US-131

Started by MIRoadMan, February 03, 2009, 10:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIRoadMan

Ever since they have created the Cadillac, mi bypass on 131, i have been wondering why they put two solid white and two solid yellow lines on the right and left side of the shoulder. anybody know what the change is for?

Terry Shea

Quote from: leifvanderwall on May 08, 2009, 09:05:33 PM
I have no idea, maybe for better vision in the night. Oh by the way if you haven't been reading my postings in Roads You Like To See. The entire US 131 corridor in Michigan should be changed over to I-59. What do you think about that?
I think that would make no sense whatsoever.  It doesn't fit the grid numerically (I-67 has been discussed for this corridor), it would create 2 separate I-59 freeways and it would be a somewhat orphaned interstate in that neither end of the freeway would connect to another freeway, much less another interstate.  That's not likely to change since the approved bypass for Constantine will be a 2 lane road and there are no plans to extend the freeway to the north.  I'd like to see all of US-131 turned into an interstate freeway, but this is Michigan so it's not going to happen.

njroadhorse

Is US 131 up to interstate standards on its freeway bits, because that would make a nice corridor from I-75 to I-80/90 to cut down on time to Chicago via 94.

P.S. I-94 in Michigan should totally be I-92
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Revive 755

Quote from: njroadhorseP.S. I-94 in Michigan should totally be I-92

It was once considered for that number:
http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/yellowbook/numbering-1958.jpg

I don't see why though they couldn't have a break in I-94 for Lake Michigan like US 10 has.

If US 131 is promoted to an interstate, it should either be a continuation of any route following US 31 north of Indianapolis - an E-W split would work well here with US 31/I-196 being the "W" route - or an I-x94.

I think US 131 ought to be extended south to end at US 20 or maybe even farther down IN 13 to end at US 33.

njroadhorse

QuoteIf US 131 is promoted to an interstate, it should either be a continuation of any route following US 31 north of Indianapolis - an E-W split would work well here with US 31/I-196 being the "W" route - or an I-x94.

I think US 131 ought to be extended south to end at US 20 or maybe even farther down IN 13 to end at US 33.

If US 131 were to become part of an Interstate, I'd want it to go up US 31 into Michigan from Indy and meet US 131 in Grand Rapids via I-196.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Terry Shea

Quote from: leifvanderwall on May 09, 2009, 10:26:46 PM
In response, I have I-59 extended northward following US 27 & 127 from Chattanooga, TN,US 421 north to Greenburg,IN and Indianas 3,5, and 13 to the Michigan state line where current US 131 is. If you look at where I-59 starts in Louisiana, it does fit the grid. It won't happen anytime soon but I think it would be a great route for an I-59 extension. Leif
That's because I-59 is a somewhat angular route, and 2 wrongs, or to put it mildly, several wrongs according to your scenario, don't make a right.  :)

interstate696

Okay, well it sounds good, later I plan on posting my proposal for Michigan Highways

Brandon

Quote from: leifvanderwall on October 13, 2009, 04:41:03 PM
Okay, what do you people think what needs to be done with the  US 131 freeway . Should it be a 3d Interstate, 2d Interstate,  or should it just stay as US 131 ?

I see nothing wrong with US-131 for the route.  US-31, US-10, and US-23 are just fine as well, IMHO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

froggie

No need for an Interstate.

hbelkins

Quote from: MIRoadMan on February 03, 2009, 10:18:14 PM
Ever since they have created the Cadillac, mi bypass on 131, i have been wondering why they put two solid white and two solid yellow lines on the right and left side of the shoulder. anybody know what the change is for?

I remember seeing some of the dual lines during my recent Michigan jaunt. One of those stripes is across the sawed rumble strips. These are called "rumble stripes" and they are there for better nighttime visibility of the pavement edges. The reflective paint in the stripes is applied to the vertical wall of the sawed-in groove and it shows up better under headlight illumination. Painting edge lines across the rumble strips is considered to be a low-cost safety improvement.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Tom

Keep it US-131 (here's some photos of US-131 at Dan Garnell's website.)
http://web.archive.org/web/20130526094946/http://www.state-ends.com/michigan/us131/ :coffee:

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2009, 09:45:22 AM
Quote from: MIRoadMan on February 03, 2009, 10:18:14 PM

I remember seeing some of the dual lines during my recent Michigan jaunt. One of those stripes is across the sawed rumble strips. These are called "rumble stripes" and they are there for better nighttime visibility of the pavement edges. The reflective paint in the stripes is applied to the vertical wall of the sawed-in groove and it shows up better under headlight illumination. Painting edge lines across the rumble strips is considered to be a low-cost safety improvement.

Hmm, I knew some states would paint the line directly on the rumble strips, but the thought never occurred to me that it would improve reflectivity. It's so obvious, why didn't I think of it? :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

nds76

Why would US-131 need to be an interstate? Already lost US-27 in MI, don't wanna lose another US Route. Besides, there is a good portion of US-131 that is not freeway.

Tom

Quote from: Tom on October 11, 2010, 09:25:27 PM
Keep it US-131 (here's some photos of US-131 at Dan Garnell's website.)
http://web.archive.org/web/20130526094946/http://www.state-ends.com/michigan/us131/ :coffee:

More pictures of US-131 from a now defunct website.
http://web.archive.org/web/20130829093542/http://www.canhighways.com/MI/US/131/ :coffee:

ET21

No need for it to be I-131
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.