News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Complete NC 540 Project

Started by wdcrft63, March 27, 2018, 06:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 18, 2019, 04:32:00 PM
Breaking news from WRAL:

"The U.S. Department of Transportation will loan the North Carolina Turnpike Authority up to $501.5 million to help finance construction of the N.C. Highway 540 toll road in southern Wake County, U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao said Wednesday."

"This $501.5 million federal investment in transportation infrastructure in the Raleigh region will promote economic growth while enhancing mobility and reducing congestion for area residents and travelers," Chao said in a statement.

"The state will use toll revenue from the highway to repay the loan."

https://www.wral.com/feds-loaning-nc-500m-to-speed-construction-of-nc-540-loop/18841276/
So which part of the NC540 is this loan supposed to fund? Is it one of the parts already under construction? The article didn't really say.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

wdcrft63

Quote from: mvak36 on December 22, 2019, 08:08:08 AM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 18, 2019, 04:32:00 PM
Breaking news from WRAL:

"The U.S. Department of Transportation will loan the North Carolina Turnpike Authority up to $501.5 million to help finance construction of the N.C. Highway 540 toll road in southern Wake County, U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao said Wednesday."

"This $501.5 million federal investment in transportation infrastructure in the Raleigh region will promote economic growth while enhancing mobility and reducing congestion for area residents and travelers," Chao said in a statement.

"The state will use toll revenue from the highway to repay the loan."

https://www.wral.com/feds-loaning-nc-500m-to-speed-construction-of-nc-540-loop/18841276/
So which part of the NC540 is this loan supposed to fund? Is it one of the parts already under construction? The article didn't really say.
The money's not being granted to sit around for years: it will certainly be used promptly on the southern arc now under construction.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

tolbs17

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2019, 07:34:08 AM
Quote from: LM117 on December 28, 2019, 07:24:03 AM
There will be a toll increase effective Wednesday.

https://www.wral.com/get-ready-to-pay-a-bit-more-to-drive-on-triangle-expressway/18855565/
So the state is trying to make more money?
Read the article.

QuoteToll revenue pays off bonds sold to fund the construction of the highway, as well as fund road maintenance, including repairs, law enforcement, mowing and winter weather preparation and response, officials said. The North Carolina Turnpike Authority Board adopted a schedule of annual toll rate increases for the Triangle Expressway based on the project's financing requirements, officials said.

This is merely an annual toll increase.

Tolls don't "make the state money" . They help to repay bonds used to construct the highway.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 28, 2019, 08:24:40 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2019, 07:34:08 AM
Quote from: LM117 on December 28, 2019, 07:24:03 AM
There will be a toll increase effective Wednesday.

https://www.wral.com/get-ready-to-pay-a-bit-more-to-drive-on-triangle-expressway/18855565/
So the state is trying to make more money?
Read the article.

QuoteToll revenue pays off bonds sold to fund the construction of the highway, as well as fund road maintenance, including repairs, law enforcement, mowing and winter weather preparation and response, officials said. The North Carolina Turnpike Authority Board adopted a schedule of annual toll rate increases for the Triangle Expressway based on the project's financing requirements, officials said.

This is merely an annual toll increase.

Tolls don't "make the state money" . They help to repay bonds used to construct the highway.
So that's really nice when toll revenue pays off bonds sold to fund the construction of the highway, so is that saying like it would help other projects (like the eastern extension) come up quicker? Let's pray it doesn't start in 2027 or 2029. I hope at least 2021 or 2023.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2019, 01:07:07 PM
So that's really nice when toll revenue pays off bonds sold to fund the construction of the highway, so is that saying like it would help other projects (like the eastern extension) come up quicker? Let's pray it doesn't start in 2027 or 2029. I hope at least 2021 or 2023.
The existing NC-540 between NC-55 and I-540 was funded with bonds, and the tolls collected on them are to pay those bonds + interest off.

It has nothing to do with the Complete 540 segment and funding that faster.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 28, 2019, 04:56:40 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2019, 01:07:07 PM
The existing NC-540 between NC-55 and I-540 was funded with bonds, and the tolls collected on them are to pay those bonds + interest off.

It has nothing to do with the Complete 540 segment and funding that faster.
So it probably basically is probably just to keep the highway new. If you think we need more tolls, where do you think they should go?

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 28, 2019, 05:07:22 PM
So it probably basically is probably just to keep the highway new.
It's to repay the bonds that were used to fund the highway's construction...

Maintenance and upkeep is factored in the tolls, but it's a very minimal portion of what the revenue collected funds... most of it is to repay those bonds.

tolbs17

https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/PDEA/Web/Complete540/maps/C540_6B_PHM.pdf

If this alternative and an interchange like this would be chosen, then it would have been some exciting news, but since this (lilac) alternative had many impacts and it would run through a water treatment plant, this alternative was dropped.

I'm a big fan of flyover ramps.

The one that they are building right now, I'm not a big fan of but it's alright

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 03, 2020, 05:03:48 PM
https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/PDEA/Web/Complete540/maps/C540_6B_PHM.pdf

If this alternative and an interchange like this would be chosen, then it would have been some exciting news, but since this (lilac) alternative had many impacts and it would run through a water treatment plant, this alternative was dropped.

I'm a big fan of flyover ramps.

The one that they are building right now, I'm not a big fan of but it's alright
They're not going to build a more expensive and impactful design because it looks cooler.

tjcreasy

NCDOT designs freeway to freeway interchanges as conservatively as possible. The general public doesn't care. They only care when those conservative designs cause unnecessary traffic issues in the future. Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the US 70 EB ramp to Inner NC 540 will be a loop. This will cause rush hour delays on day one, as N.C. 540 will act as an extension of US 70 (I-42).  I hope that this is addressed.

tolbs17

Quote from: tjcreasy on January 03, 2020, 08:57:53 PM
NCDOT designs freeway to freeway interchanges as conservatively as possible. The general public doesn't care. They only care when those conservative designs cause unnecessary traffic issues in the future. Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the US 70 EB ramp to Inner NC 540 will be a loop. This will cause rush hour delays on day one, as N.C. 540 will act as an extension of US 70 (I-42).  I hope that this is addressed.
That loop really should have been a flyover because i'm sure people that go to Wake Tech or work in South Raleigh live in Garner or south Clayton.

tjcreasy

Agreed. I'd also add RTP traffic as well. There is ample room to add that flyover without stacking it.

tolbs17

Quote from: tjcreasy on January 03, 2020, 09:12:41 PM
Agreed. I'd also add RTP traffic as well. There is ample room to add that flyover without stacking it.
Would be nice to make a concept of what the interchange would be like rather than seeing what's being built today? (That's fictional but at least it would help if NCDOT DID screw themselves).

X99

The OSM construction and proposal lines show the I-40 East to NC 540 East, NC 540 West to I-42 East, and I-42 West to NC 540 West movements as loop ramps. Of course, the proposal lines also mark NC 540 as continuing straight through the interchange on a continuous mainline.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Roadsguy

Quote from: X99 on January 16, 2020, 11:01:16 PM
The OSM construction and proposal lines show the I-40 East to NC 540 East, NC 540 West to I-42 East, and I-42 West to NC 540 West movements as loop ramps. Of course, the proposal lines also mark NC 540 as continuing straight through the interchange on a continuous mainline.

The OSM mapping was based on the public meeting maps from 2018, which does indeed have those movements as loops and 540 as the mainline. Tucking in a flyover eventually to replace the westbound 70 to westbound 540 loop probably won't be prohibitively difficult (I don't have time to do a quick drawing right now).
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

tjcreasy

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 17, 2020, 07:49:48 AM

The OSM mapping was based on the public meeting maps from 2018, which does indeed have those movements as loops and 540 as the mainline. Tucking in a flyover eventually to replace the westbound 70 to westbound 540 loop probably won't be prohibitively difficult (I don't have time to do a quick drawing right now).

At the very least US 70wb should have a flyover connect to NC 540wb. There's enough space to not have to construct an expensive stack.  I expect  the completion of the I-40 widening project, 540, and NC 42 widening will cause an explosion of growth in Johnston County due to the significant reduction in travel times to major employment centers.

X99

Quote from: tjcreasy on January 17, 2020, 02:50:34 PM

At the very least US 70wb should have a flyover connect to NC 540wb. There's enough space to not have to construct an expensive stack.  I expect  the completion of the I-40 widening project, 540, and NC 42 widening will cause an explosion of growth in Johnston County due to the significant reduction in travel times to major employment centers.
Or the best option (which would also be the most expensive by a long shot): rebuild the whole thing as a pentagon interchange.

sprjus4

First Phase Under Way to Finally Complete Raleigh's Triangle Expressway
Known as the Complete 540 project (and, secondarily, as both the Southeast Extension and N.C. 540), the new toll road construction will be done in two phases, the first of which broke ground in mid-November.

The first phase of the highway build will run 18 miles east-southeast from N.C. Highway 55 Bypass in Apex, just west of Raleigh, to Interstate 40 south of the city. Hopes are this new six-lane roadway will be open to traffic in 2023.

The final section stretches north-northeast from there to U.S. 64/U.S. 264 (Interstate 87) in Knightdale, due east of Raleigh. This portion of the project, however, will probably not begin construction until at least 2027.

In total, the two-part Southeast Extension will be 28 miles long and is budgeted at $2.2 billion. The project's financing will come through toll revenue bonds and a low-interest loan from the USDOT.

The extension also will connect with the existing 42-mile-long U.S. 540 around the north side of Raleigh to complete the Triangle Expressway (aka 540 Outer Loop).

And on the day the second phase is open to traffic, the circle around Raleigh, as the old spiritual says, will finally "be unbroken." Area residents will undoubtedly sing praises due to the fact the Triangle Expressway has been under construction at various times since 1992.

A Needed Solution for the Triangle

With the steady growth of the Triangle, which includes the cities of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, as well as several major suburbs and the important Research Triangle Park (RTP), state officials are confident that Complete 540 will provide a definitive answer to the area's often headache-inducing traffic jams. Located in the heart of the loop, RTP is the largest research and development park in the nation and lies adjacent to the eastern end of the Southeast Extension.

Car and truck congestion along the Interstate 440, I-40, N.C. Highway 42, N.C. 55 and Ten Ten Road corridors east-southeast of Raleigh are in dire need of the Complete 540 project to ease their traffic nightmares.

According to Logen Hodges, senior public involvement representative and spokesman of NCDOT's North Carolina Turnpike Authority (NCTA), two primary goals have been established for the Complete 540 project.

"Each are based on general transportation challenges in the Raleigh area and specifically, more localized needs," Hodges explained. "The first purpose is to improve mobility within or through the area during peak travel periods, while the second is to reduce forecasted congestion on the existing roadway network within the project area. The secondary goal, obviously, is to improve the linkage in the regional roadway network by completing the 540 Outer Loop around the greater Raleigh area – something that has been sought by area planners for more than 40 years."

Hodges added that the state expects construction of the remaining link to benefit local commuters living south and east of Raleigh, as well as motorists making longer trips through the Triangle. The current phase of the Southeast Extension will connect the suburban towns of Apex, Cary, Clayton, Garner, Fuquay-Varina and Holly Springs, along with Raleigh and the RTP.

When both phases are complete – probably in about 10 years – the extension will enable a direct connection from I-40 in southwest Durham to I-40 to U.S. 64/U.S. 264 east of Raleigh. The new extended roadway will be a tolled highway with three 12-foot lanes in each direction. Motorists will be able to travel within a 70-mile-per-hour speed limit, at least when traffic allows.

Three Contracts Awarded for First Phase

NCDOT awarded the first of three major contracts to the joint venture consisting of Flatiron Constructors and Branch Civil, with Gannett Fleming as the lead design firm. This part of construction will extend the existing Triangle Expressway eastward for roughly 4.3 miles from the N.C. 55 Bypass east to near Pierce Olive Road.

The second contract further extends the roadway for 4.9 miles from east of Pierce Olive Road to just east of US 401. It is being built by a joint venture between Flatiron Constructors and Branch Civil, with HDR Inc. providing the design.

Road work on another section of the first phase is being performed at a third point by the partnering of Lane Construction Company and Blythe Construction, along with the engineering/design firm WSP. This contract will build on 8.6 miles of the Complete 540 from U.S. 401 east to the five-legged turbine interchange with I-40.

"The contracts will likely involve more than 100 design firms, preconstruction service companies, contractors and subcontractors, with roughly $75 million in work committed to Disadvantaged Business Enterprise firms," Hodges added.

Among a long list of local subcontractors working on the new highway and accompanying bridges and overpasses, Hodges named Bullington Construction, Barnhill Contractors, Mountain Creek Contractors, Colter Electric, Callis Contractors, Traffic Control Devices Inc. and Certified Concrete Construction Inc.

Construction Picking Up Steam

Although the Triangle has so far experienced a largely wet, but warm winter, Hodges said weather would most likely not be a key factor in keeping the Southeast Extension project from getting off schedule over the coming weeks and months.

"We expect some level of challenge on more technical issues, including utilities work, especially petroleum product pipeline relocations, as well as working in Triassic soils and high-water tables in some locations," he explained.

By way of definition, Triassic basins are underlain by sedimentary rocks, mainly sandstone and siltstone that are very clay rich. As a result, the soil formed from these rocks does not readily transmit or soak up water. The eastern edge of Raleigh, as it turns out, is in the Deep River Basin, the state's largest such deposit of this type of soil.

Lots of Heavy Construction Ahead

In December, crews begun the task of clearing land, building median bridge foundations near I-40 and construction entrances along U.S. 401, with much of the same work in January going on at several other planned roadbeds and interchanges. For instance, pile driving for the West Lake Road bridge foundations are under way during daytime hours now through early March.

In total, the first phase of the Complete 540 project will include 49 new bridges and 33 new culverts. There will not be any improvements to existing bridges included in the current project, Hodges noted. Intersecting roadways that will be carried over or under N.C. 540 will be improved to the extent necessary to tie back to existing grades.

"The project does include new service roads and realignment of some roads," Hodges continued. "On the second phase, though, the U.S. 70 Bypass bridges are being replaced to accommodate the new turbine design at Interstate 40."

People and Machines on the Move

As the weeks progress, the contractors on the first phase will begin the assignment of moving over 10 million cu. yds. of earth, along with doing more than 150,000 LF of pile driving. Later, crews will place over 100,000 cu. yds. of concrete on the highway, ramps and bridges along the Complete 540 work area.

Hodges said the earthwork will require a combination of scrapers, articulated off-road trucks and on-road dump trucks. When it's time for the cranes to be brought in, he anticipates a combination of lattice boom crawlers and hydraulic cranes to swing into action along the new route. Each of the machines in use on the job will be a combination of contractor-owned and locally leased/rented equipment, he said.

Several special features are also being built into the road project. According to Hodges, based on life cycle cost analyses and the resultant allowance for competitive bidding of concrete vs. asphalt pavement, the stretch of road from U.S. 401 east to I-40 will consist of concrete pavement while the other two contracts to the west of U.S. 401 to N.C. 55 will be paved with asphalt.

Additionally, there will be a diverging diamond interchange at Holly Springs Road near the western end of the Complete 540 project, as well as the turbine interchange at I-40/NC-540/US-70 Business.

Aesthetic features will be built at points up and down the Southeast Extension, such as noise and retaining walls constructed of real brick, barrier wall and columns on bridges and artful columns for sign structures and toll facilities, the latter of which will incorporate all-electronic tolling.

"Although work will continue to more active this year, we expect 2021 to be the busiest year for construction of the project," Hodges said. "The two projects being performed by the Flatiron-Branch Joint Venture and its subcontractors will have approximately 200 employees on site at that time, with a like number of people in the crews working for the Lane-Blythe Joint Venture and its subcontractors on its own part of the road construction.

"This is in addition to the approximately 65 dedicated inspection, surveying and engineering staff representing NCDOT and NCTA. In all, we anticipate well over 500 employees at peak construction in 2021, including other administrative staff."
See article for additional construction photos.

74/171FAN

I-540 referenced as US 540???  I never thought I would see that.

The biggest oddity in the article is the omission of referencing I-87 with US 64 and US 264.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

sprjus4

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 28, 2020, 06:05:18 PM
The biggest oddity in the article is the omission of referencing I-87 with US 64 and US 264.
Interestingly though, it is mentioned in another part of the article.

QuoteThe final section stretches north-northeast from there to U.S. 64/U.S. 264 (Interstate 87) in Knightdale, due east of Raleigh.

X99

Nothing in the article mentions Future Interstate 42, and also, how can you call a five-way interchange a turbine? How would that work?

tolbs17

Tucking in a flyover eventually to replace the westbound 70 to westbound 540 loop probably won't be prohibitively difficult (I don't have time to do a quick drawing right now).
https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/PDEA/Web/Complete540/final-eis/design-maps/C540_dphm_06.pdf

I got this proposal from this website.

It demolishes the existing 70 ramps and I think I'm happy with this design. Compared to the first link. Is this alternative being built?

That first one has 4 loops while the bottom one only has 2. The only difference i see is the flyover to the loop is W I-40 to W NC 540.

This alternative is less messy compared to this one, and I'm sure this is nicer looking. It's more fun IMO too! Idc if they demolish the existing 70 ramps. I think they SHOULD demolish it! There's a sharp curve when coming from I-40 East to US 70 (Future I-42) East!

I think this is what Roadsguy was planning to do when modifying the loop from US 70 West to NC 540 west to a flyover.

Also, when looking at it again, the loop from 70 west to 40 east is also changed to a flyover.

This alternative is a clear winner as it doesn't only impact less wetlands, it also doesn't take up as much space and it's cheaper to construct.

Pretty sure that alternative (bottom one) is going to be built. Because that image is from November 15, 2018 and the top one was from February 22, 2018.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.