AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 01:21:06 AM 
Started by bwana39 - Last post by r15-1
I think much of the trigger-happy I-49 closure mentality dates back to construction of I-220, especially when the loop was completed when the Cross Lake bridge opened.

I-220 has always been closed by the Shreveport district of LaDOTD at the first hint of winter precip. I understand closing the Cross Lake Bridge to eliminate accident risk over the water supply, but the whole loop is usually closed at one time. I-49 just became part of the closure list when the north section opened. At times even long stretches of I-49 south of Shreveport have also been closed.

LA-3132 is the continuing freeway south from I-220 @ I-20. It generally remains open even when I-220 & I-49 N close.  The barrels that are already in place to be deployed, force traffic on NB LA-3132 to exit at I-20.
Fewer long bridges on LA 3132 than on I-220. Red River bridge in addition to Cross Lake.

on: Today at 01:03:29 AM 
Started by US71 - Last post by Bobby5280
Nearly all of I-44 South of Lawton is just cable barriers. There are some stretches featuring concrete Jersey barriers, but those are usually segments passing over creeks. I'm guessing there are certain bridge standards that must be upheld in those cases. South of the US-70 exit at Randlett I-44 spreads out with a wider median, but there is still a cable barrier running down one of the roadway edges to prevent crossover accidents. The same is true for I-44 within Lawton.

on: Today at 01:00:55 AM 
Started by OCGuy81 - Last post by Road Hog
As far as relocating a team to Austin or San Antonio, the combined markets are certainly large enough. but the Astros and Rangers would both fight a third AL team relocating to Texas. Both see Central Texas as their turf, and one or the other has had a Triple-A affiliate in Round Rock for years (depending on which organization Nolan Ryan was affiliated with).

on: Today at 12:52:03 AM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by TheHighwayMan394
I normally hate Christmas music, but in December I can at the very least tolerate it.

With selections like << Rudolph le renne au nez rouge >> and << Je serai rentrť pour NoŽl >> ?  :bigass:

on: Today at 12:48:18 AM 
Started by thspfc - Last post by TheHighwayMan394
Most of the stations that I frequent here in northeastern Wisconsin are still pump then pay.  A lot of people around here are still 'handshake deal' honest and upstanding.

Mike
Itís a fair bet that a major reason KT took this long to end drive-offs was because pump then pay creates that sort of old-timey trust and respect between business and customer. Maybe itís just me, but to me, it does the opposite. It makes KT seem poorly run and unorganized. Call me a pessimist, but I simply donít have the level of trust in strangers that most Midwesterners do.

I think it was more because pay after pump encouraged people to come inside and add to their total bill with concessions, which gas stations make a much higher profit margin on than the gasoline. And needless to say, Kwik Trip spends a lot of marketing on their food products.

on: Today at 12:37:08 AM 
Started by MaxConcrete - Last post by Road Hog
The recommended alignment for US 380 in Denton County is now posted on the meeting web site
http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/US380DentonPM3
Presentation with maps
http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/sites/default/files/docs/0135-10-061_US%20380%20Denton%20County%20Feasibility%20Study_PM%203%20Presentation_FINAL.pdf

Good news!! The existing US 380 (blue option) is the recommended alignment. In fact, a section of the blue option that was shown to run just south of the existing US 380 at Spiritas Ranch has been shifted to be back on the existing alignment. This means the recommended alignment is the straightest and most efficient possible. The only downside is that substantial right-of-way clearance will be needed, mostly fuel stations, convenience stores, fast food restaurants and strip centers. No residential displacements are needed, which is why it remained feasible.

The other alternatives considered (yellow, purple and orange) were ridiculous, but we've seen TxDOT select highly inefficient alignments for other freeways, so there was no assurance the logical choice would be made.

The outer loop alignment (teal) will continue to be studied and is now slated to connect to IH 35. It appears that the route 428 alignment has been removed from consideration as a freeway. That's disappointing, because I think it will be needed.

The YouTube presentation says that work will likely start with the connection to Loop 288 (which is a greenfield route), then proceed to build the frontage roads, and eventually the main lanes.

The blue option was the only logical choice. I sure is nice to see common sense prevail.

Agreed.  Have no dog in this fight, but it makes sense to upgrade what they already have.   Some of the turns on the orange and purple alignments were crazy.  What is the "Spiritas Ranch" - some kind of agricultural holdout in a rapidly sub-urbanizing area?
It's a big housing development planned on the Little Elm side (south side) of 380.

https://starlocalmedia.com/littleelmjournal/news/little-elm-council-approves-agreement-for-2-100-home-spiritas-ranch-project/article_86f0bff6-6737-11eb-9694-978000754f66.html

It's a weird "no man's land" area: Little Elm city limits, Denton ISD, Aubrey mailing address and Prosper landline phone numbers.

ADD: I have a full kennel of dogs in this fight. I want dirt to start turning yesterday. I've noticed just in the last six months a huge increase in traffic in my area. It shouldn't take an hour to get from McKinney to Denton.

on: Today at 12:31:38 AM 
Started by Henry - Last post by sprjus4
I-385 SC?
No

on: Today at 12:20:27 AM 
Started by Henry - Last post by MinecraftNinja
I-385 SC?

on: Today at 12:12:11 AM 
Started by Henry - Last post by sprjus4

on: Today at 12:06:08 AM 
Started by index - Last post by index
I'm looking at US 321 in Blowing Rock, and I see no reason why traffic needs to be slowed down. 50 mph looks perfectly fine.

US 321 cuts through the middle of town. Anyone who wants to walk or cycle from the east side of town to the west side (incl. downtown) has to cross the highway. An accident with a pedestrian at 50 mph is a death sentence, and I could image lots of parents not letting their kids cross that road due to it being dangerous. Lowering the speed limit over a few miles would only add maybe a couple minutes to the drive.
From historic description found on wiki, one may argue that this is the other way around - a town was built around road and grew as a tourist destination enabled by the highway.

I'm sure you're right about the town growing eastward toward and past the highway. I also don't disagree that having a highway to the town has been helpful for its growth.

However, I still don't think it's helpful to have a 50 mph highway through the town. I don't believe lowering the speed limit for a few miles through town is going to cause a max exodus of visitors to the town, or even noticeable delays for through travellers.
It really depends on traffic. Such slow down can easily create a backup at the time of high demand.
And setting up clots on a highway can easily cut it's attractiveness as a tourist throughfare once there is enough of such clots, especially with punitive measures OP is advocating.
I'm not trying to be snarky here but I'm curious on how narrower lanes/thicker lines to calm traffic would be harmful for tourism, or unattractive (a narrower road would likely be more attractive, because there's more space for greenery and pedestrians). I ask in good faith, tone isn't easily conveyable on the internet.

The tourist experience in Blowing Rock isn't derived from driving. Somewhere like the Parkway sure, but Blowing Rock wants people to "stop and smell the roses", quoting one of their citizens, with their complaint about speeding traffic.

There also isn't any traffic in Blowing Rock, AADT is only 9,000-10,000 per day on 321 I believe. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.