The Raiders to San Antonio?

Started by bing101, January 14, 2016, 06:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: spooky on January 19, 2016, 07:56:30 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 18, 2016, 09:41:22 PM
If they build a stadium way the hell out in San Marcos, they cannot in good conscience call them the San Antonio Raiders.  That's two counties away from actual San Antonio.

No kidding, that would be like calling a team in Santa Clara the San Francisco...oh, never mind.

Precisely. The Buffalo Bills are a couple towns over from Buffalo, the Patriots are almost in Pawtucket, Cowboys are closer to downtown Fort Worth than Dallas...
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

spooky

Quote from: cl94 on January 21, 2016, 02:27:52 PM
If they build a stadium way the hell out in San Marcos, they cannot in good conscience call them the San Antonio Raiders.  That's two counties away from actual San Antonio.

No kidding, that would be like calling a team in Santa Clara the San Francisco...oh, never mind.

Precisely. The Buffalo Bills are a couple towns over from Buffalo, the Patriots are almost in Pawtucket, Cowboys are closer to downtown Fort Worth than Dallas...

Well, at least the Boston Patriots became the New England Patriots when they moved to Foxborough.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: spooky on January 21, 2016, 02:36:03 PM

Well, at least the Boston Patriots became the New England Patriots when they moved to Foxborough.

Which is why their "commitment" to move to Hartford was at least conceptually plausible.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 21, 2016, 03:29:21 PM

Which is why their "commitment" to move to Hartford was at least conceptually plausible.
If it's this common, what's the problem here? Just because they're two counties away doesn't mean they can't still be called the San Antonio Raiders.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 21, 2016, 06:13:45 PM

If it's this common, what's the problem here? Just because they're two counties away doesn't mean they can't still be called the San Antonio Raiders.

It doesn't, and one only needs to look at the New York Giants and Jets for the most convincing example.  New England at least encompasses (everyone say it together) six states, not just Boston.

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 21, 2016, 07:31:49 PM

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 21, 2016, 06:13:45 PM

It doesn't, and one only needs to look at the New York Giants and Jets for the most convincing example.  New England at least encompasses (everyone say it together) six states, not just Boston.

People mention the Jets/Giants, but they're closer to Manhattan than the Bills are to Buffalo or the 49ers are to San Francisco.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

oscar

"Good conscience" for the NFL? WTF?

Certainly the Washington R*dsk*ns don't agree, playing their home games in Maryland, and with team headquarters and other facilities in Virginia. The team name is the main remaining tie to D.C., once the team left RFK stadium in the city.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Road Hog

That team is perfect for San Antonio. But if the Raiders do try to move there, I guarantee you Jerry Jones and Bob McNair will fight it to the death. They don't want a third team on their turf, and they both have a lot of pull with the other owners. It was Jerry who greased the skids for his buddy Kroenke on the Rams move to L.A.

1995hoo

To me pro football in San Antonio will always mean the Gunslingers!

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

nexus73

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 24, 2016, 09:31:52 AM
To me pro football in San Antonio will always mean the Gunslingers!

USFL baby!  Neuheisel as QB too!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

US 41

If San Antonio didn't work out then I think maybe El Paso would. There 800K people that live in El Paso and 1.5 Million in Juarez. Las Cruces is also near by (an hour or so north). I think San Antonio might be too close to Houston and Dallas for it to actually work out. El Paso is far enough away from any other teams that it might be a better move. It would also be an experiment with the Mexico market, but a safe experiment since El Paso is plenty big.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

tchafe1978

So the Chargers move to LA, and the Raiders move to San Diego. I don't get it. Why not just move the Raiders to LA and be done with it? What makes them think San Diego is going to build a stadium for the Raiders, a team everybody but Raiders fans hates, when they wouldn't build one for the Chargers? Or maybe this insane idea will be enough motivation for San Diego to keep the Chargers and get a stadium deal done.

Thing 342

Quote from: tchafe1978 on January 24, 2016, 09:09:13 PM
So the Chargers move to LA, and the Raiders move to San Diego. I don't get it. Why not just move the Raiders to LA and be done with it? What makes them think San Diego is going to build a stadium for the Raiders, a team everybody but Raiders fans hates, when they wouldn't build one for the Chargers? Or maybe this insane idea will be enough motivation for San Diego to keep the Chargers and get a stadium deal done.
Largely because Kroenke and Spanos's (the owners of the Rams and Chargers, respectively) money comes from outside of the NFL, as opposed to Mark Davis (The owner of the Raiders), meaning that the rest of the owners gave deference to them, allowing them the first opportunity to go to LA.

bing101

Thing 342

Quote from: bing101 on January 28, 2016, 09:37:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14669152/oakland-raiders-owner-mark-davis-meet-las-vegas-officials-regarding-potential-stadium-sites-according-leaked-memo

Update Vegas is the new Bargaining chip city for the Raiders.
I could totally see that happening, although the NFL in the past has expressed opposition to Vegas because of possible problems with gambling money.

jbnv

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 28, 2016, 10:39:46 PM
I could totally see that happening, although the NFL in the past has expressed opposition to Vegas because of possible problems with gambling money.

Is this still a serious objection in 2016? That the millions of dollars in wagering that already occurs without the NFL's consent will increase just because Vegas gets a team?
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

triplemultiplex

I'll buy the NFL's gambling objection to a team in Vegas as soon as they oust those dickhole owners like Robert Kraft who are heavily invested in the one day fantasy leagues.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

DandyDan

The one thing about a hypothetical Raiders move to Las Vegas is since Nevada is the Silver State, they wouldn't have to change their color scheme.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Desert Man

If the Temecula CA stadium deal were approved in the 2000s, this is the place the Raiders continue to draw the CA fan base. The Chargers originally checked into Temecula next to the San Diego county line, but the stadium deal was rejected. Temecula isn't the best spot for major league sports, further inland and less population than Anaheim in Orange County or comparably, Long Beach south of L.A., both cities are among CA's ten most populous.     
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

triplemultiplex

Temecula was a serious consideration?  Jesus, why not just build a stadium in Palm Springs...
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

US 41

The Raiders will be playing a "home" game against Houston in Mexico City on Nov 21st (Mon night game). Maybe the Raiders should just permanently move to Mexico City.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

noelbotevera

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 07, 2016, 03:57:41 PM
Temecula was a serious consideration?  Jesus, why not just build a stadium in Palm Springs...
They could have been smarter. San Bernardino, Riverside, Diamond Bar, Ontario...etc.

Alex

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 08, 2016, 07:21:56 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 07, 2016, 03:57:41 PM
They could have been smarter. San Bernardino, Riverside, Diamond Bar, Ontario...etc.

And yet again another case where you are typing babble just to boost your post count.

might have to change your username to ComputerGuy 2.0

Roadgeek Adam

On a serious topic, I've thrown San Antonio around as part of MLB36, which would be the proposal to bring an MLB team to it. If the Raiders wanted to move here, I'd go for it. But now that LA is getting a team, NFL34 should shift to have a franchise in San Antonio that's brand new. (Goodell has thrown the idea of 34 teams around)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.