News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Oklahoma City Metro Highways | Small projects and construction

Started by Plutonic Panda, July 14, 2016, 08:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

skluth

Original article

Oklahoma approves major upgrades to busy metro interchange
A $75 million project starts this summer at Interstate 35 and Interstate 240

OKLAHOMA CITY –
Oklahoma just approved major upgrades to a busy metro interchange.

A $75 million project starts this summer at Interstate 35 and Interstate 240. The project will bring everything on I-240 up to standard by fixing on and off ramps, rebuilding and paving frontage roads and adding a turnaround on 59th Street, but it won't come without some painful closures.

"This is, again, like the 235-44 interchange. One of those interchanges that has needed updating for a very long time. With our funding in the past, they couldn't always go and attack a full interchange with the amount it cost to bring one up to date and so, we've had to do this project in phases," said Trenton January, district four engineer at the Oklahoma Department of Transportation.

The outdated but busy interchange is finally set to see updates.

"Really, we're working on all of the outsides of the interchange, completing all of the outsides, so that with our next project, which is scheduled in two years, to go work on the inside of the interchange," January said.

The state plans to bring ramps and lanes up to date with design standards, along with paving and replacing railroad bridges near northbound I-35 and eastbound I-240.

"They don't operate with the amount of traffic that we have out there. The bridges are starting to become older and specifically, at this interchange, there are some traffic issues with people merging off of 240, getting onto 35 where the merge distances are not as long as they need to be. If you compare it to the 235-44 job, that last phase that we did where we built the flyovers and several other bridges, that's what that last phase of 35 and 240 is going to look like," January said.

When that phase comes is when ODOT expects full weekend closures to take down those bridges safely.

"So, really improving this interchange, making it safer for the traveling public is going to be a huge impact and it's going to help the corridors 240 and 35 flow a lot better," January said.

Older bridges will be replaced with lots of paving and rebuilding to come. Eventually, Oklahomans will see those flyovers in 2025 but ODOT said overall, the project should help with traffic issues and raise the standards on some of the most traveled on interstates.

Bobby5280

"Eventually, Oklahomans will see those flyovers in 2025..."

The way the time line looks Oklahomans may only see the support pylons of those flyovers begin construction in 2025. Hopefully the project phases of this interchange project will be completed faster than the I-44/I-235 interchange. That one dragged out for over a decade.

Meanwhile it sort of looks like ACCESS Oklahoma plans are back on track. That open meeting violation chapter in the saga is a moot point now. The lawsuits from groups like Pike-Off appear to be going nowhere. The controversy has still delayed the project study process (some of that was supposed to be complete by early 2023).

Anyway, once these ACCESS Oklahoma projects finally get started (2025 maybe?) the construction on each project may go quite a bit faster than the state's gasoline tax funded projects. I don't know when the East-West Connector turnpike will be built. The proposed directional stack interchange with I-35 has a preliminary cost of $365 million. With the turnpikes being funded through bonds rather than fuel taxes that new interchange may be built all at once rather than phases spread out over several years.

Plutonic Panda

This isn't a small project and will eventually warrant its own thread but I suppose we should wait until more in depth details emerge.

For some time now the I-35 bridge over the Oklahoma River near DTOKC has been planned on being replaced with a larger, wider, long span signature structure. We are getting to seeing official plans and a schedule for.

The first real movement is this funding request from ODOT for the pedestrian path component complimenting the massive OKANA development to the east.

Here is a link with a rendering and more details: https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/en/odot/federal-grants/raise/2023/multimodal-connections-on-i-35-over-the-oklahoma-river/application/Project%20Description.pdf

triplemultiplex

I'd be impressed if someone could build a four level stack for less than half a billion these days, even in Oklahoma.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MikieTimT

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 28, 2023, 05:52:23 PM
I'd be impressed if someone could build a four level stack for less than half a billion these days, even in Oklahoma.

Arkansas has a couple in the works for I-49/I-40 and I-49/(AR-612/US-412 Bypass). I think we'll see the northern one within the next 4 years, but it'd likely be toward the end of the decade for I-49/I-40, so who knows what inflation does to roadbuilding costs in that time.

Bobby5280

In the case of the I-40/I-49 interchange, I suspect AR DOT will keep the flyover ramps in the existing "Y" interchange and merely add two more flyovers. After all, they're going to build the Alma-Barling segment in a Super-2 phase at first. I would be surprised if they did a full reconstruction of the interchange.

Likewise, the more recently built I-49/AR-612 interchange is halfway completed.

Plutonic Panda

US-77 and SH-66 in Edmond will be resurfaced as part of an ODOT project and it has already begun construction.

Project page: https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/major-projects/ongoing-projects/us-77-broadway-and-us-77-sh-66-second-st--resurfacing-in-edmond.html

Interestingly enough there is now talk about these segments being transferred from ODOT control to Edmond in the future after a major reconstruction into a concrete roadway with more design and other features happens down the road. It's something that likely won't happen this decade but talks are beginning.

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 14, 2023, 04:22:29 AM
US-77 and SH-66 in Edmond will be resurfaced as part of an ODOT project and it has already begun construction.

Project page: https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/major-projects/ongoing-projects/us-77-broadway-and-us-77-sh-66-second-st--resurfacing-in-edmond.html

Interestingly enough there is now talk about these segments being transferred from ODOT control to Edmond in the future after a major reconstruction into a concrete roadway with more design and other features happens down the road. It's something that likely won't happen this decade but talks are beginning.

As you are aware, Broadway from the end of the freeway north of Memorial to 2nd Street has large sections with no curbs. Way too many crossovers, too short left turn lanes, and nonexistent right turn only lanes. I can't see ODOT forking over the millions to "upgrade" it just to turn it over to the City of Edmond.

It also made me wonder how they would reroute US77? Turn east at the Kilpatrick? Who would be responsible for the OKC setion of freeway?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: rte66man on April 15, 2023, 03:14:50 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 14, 2023, 04:22:29 AM

As you are aware, Broadway from the end of the freeway north of Memorial to 2nd Street has large sections with no curbs. Way too many crossovers, too short left turn lanes, and nonexistent right turn only lanes. I can't see ODOT forking over the millions to "upgrade" it just to turn it over to the City of Edmond.

It also made me wonder how they would reroute US77? Turn east at the Kilpatrick? Who would be responsible for the OKC setion of freeway?
Well, to be fair, that would be less mileage they would have to deal with in the future. But I'm sure Edmond would pay for the majority of the improvements. To do what it sounded like Edmond wanted to do would probably be 100+  million dollars or close to it.

Plutonic Panda

A project will begin in a few years to address the merging issues at the I-35/Kilpatrick/I-44 interchange. This will also add a third Lane on southbound on I 35.

Here's the proposal:

QuoteThe proposed project will add a southbound through lane along I-35 beginning just south of Memorial Road extending south to Hefner Road. Dedicated auxiliary lanes will be provided for traffic entering and exiting I-35. To reduce the potential for collisions due to the complex weaving movements at NE 122nd Street, a concrete barrier will be constructed to prevent westbound Turner Turnpike traffic from exiting at NE 122nd Street. Traffic will then be allowed to merge onto I-35 prior to the exit at Hefner Road. Turner Turnpike traffic wanting to access NE 122nd Street will exit to I-35 north and take Sooner Road south to NE 122nd Street.

- https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-and-projects0/public-meetings-and-hearings0/public-meetings-and-hearings/20230801.html

Presentation with more details goes live 8/2/2023.

Honestly, this is kind of what I expected. The concrete barrier, though not ideal will certainly be welcome to prevent people from weaving from the left side to the right side of the highway. It'll definitely change the feel of the area. Though this is a cheap solution. Ideally, this entire interchange will be rebuilt. But that ain't happening for another several decades.

Plutonic Panda

The SH-9/I-35 project should begin soon

·         Commissioners will consider awarding an up to $105 million project to realign the I-35 and SH-9W interchange south of Norman creating a Diverging Diamond Interchange.

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2023/august-transportation-commission-meeting-scheduled-for-monday--a.html

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 25, 2023, 01:54:41 AM
A project will begin in a few years to address the merging issues at the I-35/Kilpatrick/I-44 interchange. This will also add a third Lane on southbound on I 35.

Here's the proposal:

QuoteThe proposed project will add a southbound through lane along I-35 beginning just south of Memorial Road extending south to Hefner Road. Dedicated auxiliary lanes will be provided for traffic entering and exiting I-35. To reduce the potential for collisions due to the complex weaving movements at NE 122nd Street, a concrete barrier will be constructed to prevent westbound Turner Turnpike traffic from exiting at NE 122nd Street. Traffic will then be allowed to merge onto I-35 prior to the exit at Hefner Road. Turner Turnpike traffic wanting to access NE 122nd Street will exit to I-35 north and take Sooner Road south to NE 122nd Street.

- https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-and-projects0/public-meetings-and-hearings0/public-meetings-and-hearings/20230801.html

Presentation with more details goes live 8/2/2023.

Honestly, this is kind of what I expected. The concrete barrier, though not ideal will certainly be welcome to prevent people from weaving from the left side to the right side of the highway. It'll definitely change the feel of the area. Though this is a cheap solution. Ideally, this entire interchange will be rebuilt. But that ain't happening for another several decades.
Here's a link to the project page which at the bottom has other links that include schematics of the proposal: https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-and-projects0/public-meetings-and-hearings0/public-meetings-and-hearings/20230801.html

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 09, 2023, 04:01:10 AM
The SH-9/I-35 project should begin soon

·         Commissioners will consider awarding an up to $105 million project to realign the I-35 and SH-9W interchange south of Norman creating a Diverging Diamond Interchange.

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2023/august-transportation-commission-meeting-scheduled-for-monday--a.html
It also includes a short widening of I-35 to the Goldsby interchange:
QuoteApproved at the commission meeting was an up to $105 million project to reconstruct the I-35 and SH-9W interchange south of Norman to accommodate heavy traffic in the area. The project will convert the interchange into a Divergent Diamond Interchange configuration, similar to the one now in use in Elk City at I-40 and Main St. The project will also expand I-35 to six lanes from the Canadian River south to the Goldsby interchange. The reconstruction will begin this fall and is expected to complete in summer of 2026.

- https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2023/august-commission-meeting-wrap-up.html

Plutonic Panda

SH-66 and US-81 intersection in El Reno will be converted to a roundabout. The project starts tomorrow at 9am: https://kfor.com/news/local/el-reno-roundabout-construction-begins/

Bobby5280

I kind of cringe at designs of a four lane highway going into a roundabout. If there is a lot of traffic moving through the intersection it could get even more dicey. Too many Americans don't know the rules of driving through roundabouts. Too many others aren't paying attention; some of them even go barreling through the middle of the intersection.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 15, 2024, 12:08:12 AM
I kind of cringe at designs of a four lane highway going into a roundabout. If there is a lot of traffic moving through the intersection it could get even more dicey. Too many Americans don't know the rules of driving through roundabouts. Too many others aren't paying attention; some of them even go barreling through the middle of the intersection.

As a person who is used to roundabouts in Indiana, they work fine with a lot of traffic!

Rothman

As long as the roundbout itself can be done with two lanes, it'll be fine.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on February 15, 2024, 07:02:53 AM
As long as the roundbout itself can be done with two lanes, it'll be fine.

* tradephoric scribbles a note to himself
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bobby5280

It's one thing if the roundabout is at an intersection of urban streets with fairly slow speeds, like downtown Oklahoma City. The roundabout location in El Reno is the first traffic light on US-81 past the interchange with I-40. The speed limit on US-81 is 55mph thru the I-40 interchange and drops to 45mph until the traffic signal with OK-66.

Roundabouts are still pretty uncommon in Oklahoma. They're not very common in Texas either; some traffic exiting I-40 onto US-81 in El Reno might be coming from that direction. Amarillo has a couple roundabouts, but they're inside new upper income neighborhood developments. It's not the same as having a roundabout positioned at a significant highway intersection. Fender benders happen all the time at roundabouts. There are countless numbers of dashcam videos showing such accidents.

I-35

Design looks fine to me.  It would make sense to drop the speed limit about a half mile from this intersection if that isn't already part of the plan.  Four lane roundabouts are popping up all over various DFW suburbs, Oklahoma is the next logical place for development of them - increased exposure to them is the only thing that will train drivers in the use of them.

MikieTimT

Arkansas is fixing to build 28 of them on the 4 lane expansion of AR-112.  Design speed is 45MPH, though.

In_Correct

Quote from: I-35 on February 15, 2024, 11:18:33 AM
Design looks fine to me.  It would make sense to drop the speed limit about a half mile from this intersection if that isn't already part of the plan.  Four lane roundabouts are popping up all over various DFW suburbs, Oklahoma is the next logical place for development of them - increased exposure to them is the only thing that will train drivers in the use of them.

Quoteincreased exposure to them is the only thing that will train drivers in the use of them.

It is not possible to train any body to use any thing any more. People have gotten that dumb.

Perhaps if Roundabouts included yellow flashing lights on every road connected.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Plutonic Panda

Anything is better than the roundabouts in Los Angeles. They will build a roundabout here, and then put stop signs, making it a four way stop. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 16, 2024, 10:02:44 PM
Anything is better than the roundabouts in Los Angeles. They will build a roundabout here, and then put stop signs, making it a four way stop. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Safety first!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.