News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Montreal/Champlain Bridge meet in 2019?

Started by froggie, November 02, 2018, 09:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Given the new Champlain Bridge opening (now tentatively June 2019), I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the idea yet of having a Montreal meet centered on the bridge.  I'm not sure I could host such a meet, but being a few hours away, I'm certainly interested in one.

cl94

Funny you mention this, as it was a topic of discussion at the Kingston meet last weekend. Just about everyone at that thing was interested in a Montreal meet next year.

IIRC, it was mentioned that Dr Frankenstein had offered to host somewhere online.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

This was mentioned in the MontrealRoads.com Facebook group.  In any case, it's something I'm quite excited about (it's been too long since I've last been in Québec), and I'll likely make a trip up north regardless - so perhaps if a full meet doesn't pan out, a mini-meet?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

I'm not a member of the aforementioned Facebook group, but I believe Carl is a member of this forum.  I was just surprised that it hadn't been mentioned here yet.

Alps

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on November 02, 2018, 12:49:56 PM
I'm not a member of the aforementioned Facebook group, but I believe Carl is a member of this forum.  I was just surprised that it hadn't been mentioned here yet.
He is, though he hasn't posted in a while.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Wow, I've been toying with the idea of a family vacation to Québec, but I don't know how realistic it would be for next year.  I think it would be awesome to time it around autumn colors.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

AsphaltPlanet

A person can get a really good view of the bridge from Boul Simard in the south shore. There is a park on the northern side of Autoroute 20 where you can leave a car and then there is a walking trail that provides a good vantage point.

The ice control structure is also publically accessible but I've never walked that way and have no idea what the parking situation would be like on Nun's Island.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

froggie

There's a street nearby (Cours du Fleve) that GMSV shows some vehicles parked on.  There are parking restrictions, though and I can't tell what the signs say from GMSV.

If worse comes to worse, there's a shopping area about a half mile from the ice control structure.

Personally, I've biked the ice control structure although it's been some years since I last did that.

MikeTheActuary

Curiously, my grand-boss lives on ÃŽle des SÅ"urs.

I'd think, however, that prime viewing for the new bridge would be from Parc du Havre in St.-Lambert.   Looks like an even better view would be available from the bike trail

There's a riverside trail at Parc Saint-Laurent in Brossard to see the old bridge, but parking is a problem there.

I imagine an interesting perspective of the new bridge would be available heading "south" on the Pont Victoria, but the one time I drove it, I was too busy dividing my attention between the car ahead of me and the train beside me to look  "west".

And of course, there's the bike trail on the island running between the seaway and the river itself.

BTW, what's the estimated completion date on the Turcot interchange?  MTL is a b*tch to drive around these days with all the construction.

froggie

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on November 02, 2018, 09:43:11 AM
Given the new Champlain Bridge opening (now tentatively June 2019), I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the idea yet of having a Montreal meet centered on the bridge.  I'm not sure I could host such a meet, but being a few hours away, I'm certainly interested in one.

Sounds like fun, especially if some transit geeking on the rubber-tire Métro de Montréal is included.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.