News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

🛣 Headlines About California Highways – May 2019

Started by cahwyguy, June 01, 2019, 11:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahwyguy

It's a new month, and by now you know what that means: Time for my collection of headlines and other articles of interest about California highways from the previous month

https://cahighways.org/wordpress/?p=15327

As always, ready, set, review, discuss.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Max Rockatansky

Man the Merced River Canyon portion of 49 can't just seem to stay open the last two years.  That's a real shame that area has so many problems because it's a fun drive. 

I find it somewhat amusing that with all the focus I've had on Gribblenation this past month on Southern California freeways I haven't even noticed the slow down that has been cited in so many articles.  I think my slowest speed last month on the entirety of the 405 was maybe 45 MPH in Sepulveda Pass.  The Hollywood Freeway approaching downtown is the only place where traffic ground to an absolute halt even the Santa Ana kept moving on northbound I-5 approaching the Golden State Freeway.  Maybe my opinion is just skewed or feels off having been in Chicago recently and getting a full dose of how awful freeways are there. 

I had a chance to check out much of the expressway construction on 180 recently.  The bypass of Centerville and Minkler is well overdue. 

ClassicHasClass

Quotebecause it's a fun drive.

My wife and I found it terrifying, frankly. And my car has very good handling. I was too busy trying to stay on the road to appreciate the scenery, and she really didn't like the drop-offs.

We're glad we did it once.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 01, 2019, 12:27:09 PM
Quotebecause it's a fun drive.

My wife and I found it terrifying, frankly. And my car has very good handling. I was too busy trying to stay on the road to appreciate the scenery, and she really didn't like the drop-offs.

We're glad we did it once.

All things considered that portion of 49 is pretty tame compared to what else is in that region of the Sierras and the Central part of the state.  There are some beastly paved single lane roads nearby like Blackrock Road, Kaiser Pass Road (which is the only paved road I recall ever scaring me), and Mineral King Road that really highlight how nutty things in the Sierras can get.  The problem with that particular part of 49 is that it is cut directly into the hill side with almost no room for expansion.  That in turn leads to frequent slides dumping onto the roadway or erosion of the road surface itself.

The Sierras in generally are an acquired taste that can present some serious driving challenges.  Even portions of State Highways like CA 180 Kings Canyon, CA 120 descending Lee Vining Canyon, CA 108 over Sonora Pass and CA 4 over Ebbets Pass require use of a skill set a lot of drivers don't possess anymore.  The region can be a blast but it usually does require some prep work by the driver regarding knowing what you're getting into.  Personally I love the challenge of a good mountain road presents.

With all the above in mind I will add that 49 is my favorite State Highway so I am slightly biased.  Aside from the two-lane expressway near Chinese Camp and limited access segment from Auburn to Grass Valley the route of 49 is largely a throwback to how roads used to be.  The road grade while mountainous isn't anything too overwhelming at any point and it definitely doesn't hurt that the traffic is nowhere as high as other scenic highways.  I really enjoy things like old road alignments, ghost towns, historic markers and mining facilities so essentially it's almost as someone custom made a highway just for me.   

mrsman

I see some articles about closing El Campo Rd at US 101 near Arroyo Grande.

These closures need to take place.  Too many people treat US 101 as a rural expressway and don't expect any cross traffic.  Left turns and cross traffic should simply be prohibited along US 101.

To the extent that bridges can be made, those will be best.  But even converting the intersections to RIROs and forcing traffic coming off the side roads to go in the wrong direction and doubling back at the next interchange is far better than what currently exists.

mrsman

I-5/ Empire Ave interchange

It's rare to see so much highway related work so close to L.A.  From what I can tell, this is a good project to create more E-W connectivity in northern Burbank.  The airport, the railroad, and the 5 fwy all block so many pathways.

Empire Ave will allow for traffic to connect from the Airport terminals to I-5 and even Glenoaks (via Amherst Dr).  Necessary connection to help alleviate airport traffic off of Hollywood Way.

Of course, as was mentioned some time ago when the project got started, this necessitated getting rid of part of San Fernando Blvd, so one can no longer drive the full historic US 99 in this immediate area.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on June 02, 2019, 11:53:30 AM

These closures need to take place.  Too many people treat US 101 as a rural expressway and don't expect any cross traffic.  Left turns and cross traffic should simply be prohibited along US 101.

To the extent that bridges can be made, those will be best.  But even converting the intersections to RIROs and forcing traffic coming off the side roads to go in the wrong direction and doubling back at the next interchange is far better than what currently exists.

101 is getting to the point where some new fully limited access portions ought to be built or improved into such a configuration.  I seem to recall similar issues were happening a couple years in Prunedale which led to some left turn access points being converted to right only.  101 is pretty unique in that so much of it isn't a freeway but yet four lanes divided with no traffic lights.  I can't recall another expressway in the US that features such an odd stretch of expressway for anywhere near the same length. 

skluth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 02, 2019, 01:45:20 PM

101 is getting to the point where some new fully limited access portions ought to be built or improved into such a configuration.  I seem to recall similar issues were happening a couple years in Prunedale which led to some left turn access points being converted to right only.  101 is pretty unique in that so much of it isn't a freeway but yet four lanes divided with no traffic lights.  I can't recall another expressway in the US that features such an odd stretch of expressway for anywhere near the same length.

I know of several highways like this east of the Rockies. WI 29 alternates between freeway and expressway with no stops across 200 miles of northern Wisconsin (from Elk Mound to Green Bay). Crossing roads are gradually being eliminated as it slowly is upgraded to freeway status, but that will take a few decades. US 151 from Verona to Dubuque, IA is also non-stop expressway with crossings. US 41 from DePere to Holly Hill Road just before Germantown once had crossing roads and no stops in the 60's until it was made a freeway earlier this century (and stupidly redesignated as I-41), so this sort of upgrading seems to be the WIDOT's MO for improving highways.

In Missouri, US 67 from Victoria Road near Festus to Poplar Bluff is also four lanes and non-stop with cross-traffic. It's a nice drive now that they've four-laned the stretch from Fredericktown to US 60. The Avenue of the Saints (US 61, MO 27, IA 27, US 218) from Hannibal to Iowa City is pretty much one route while changing designations and is also non-stop through that stretch. It's also non-stop expressway south of Hannibal to I-70. The only stops between STL and MSP are in Hannibal and Waterloo/Cedar Falls (it's mostly freeway north of Iowa City). If MoDOT could get their act together and build a bypass for Hannibal, it would be non-stop expressway from I-70 at Wentzville to I-80 at Iowa City.

I'm sure there are other long non-stop non-freeway highways, but these quickly came to mind as ones I've traveled.

mrsman

Quote from: skluth on June 02, 2019, 04:30:24 PM

I know of several highways like this east of the Rockies. WI 29 alternates between freeway and expressway with no stops across 200 miles of northern Wisconsin (from Elk Mound to Green Bay). Crossing roads are gradually being eliminated as it slowly is upgraded to freeway status, but that will take a few decades. US 151 from Verona to Dubuque, IA is also non-stop expressway with crossings. US 41 from DePere to Holly Hill Road just before Germantown once had crossing roads and no stops in the 60's until it was made a freeway earlier this century (and stupidly redesignated as I-41), so this sort of upgrading seems to be the WIDOT's MO for improving highways.

In Missouri, US 67 from Victoria Road near Festus to Poplar Bluff is also four lanes and non-stop with cross-traffic. It's a nice drive now that they've four-laned the stretch from Fredericktown to US 60. The Avenue of the Saints (US 61, MO 27, IA 27, US 218) from Hannibal to Iowa City is pretty much one route while changing designations and is also non-stop through that stretch. It's also non-stop expressway south of Hannibal to I-70. The only stops between STL and MSP are in Hannibal and Waterloo/Cedar Falls (it's mostly freeway north of Iowa City). If MoDOT could get their act together and build a bypass for Hannibal, it would be non-stop expressway from I-70 at Wentzville to I-80 at Iowa City.

I'm sure there are other long non-stop non-freeway highways, but these quickly came to mind as ones I've traveled.

I can understand where there isn't money for a full freeway for great length, but the roadway is acknowledged to be an express, high traffic corridor that should not be stopped with traffic signals.  Such a high class roadway should be multi-lane, provides some shoulder facility, and yes, prevent left turns and cross-traffic because of the danger involved. 

The US needs more highways like the 101 - you can't build interstates everywhere.  But those highways need to limit cross traffic, even if they are not full freeways.  RIROs tend to work OK for this type of road.

skluth

Quote from: mrsman on June 02, 2019, 04:38:23 PM
(a bunch of deleted stuff not relevant to my reply)

RIROs tend to work OK for this type of road.

Completely agree. Missouri is indeed heading this way as they've started building J-turns into their expressways. I haven't seen these in Wisconsin, but they've apparently started building J-turns now. (And going by the link, I was within five miles of one on my last visit to Green Bay.) I'm just saying there are long expressway stretches with no stops in the Midwest. It's been over ten years since I lived in Virginia, but I believe you can also go from Chesapeake, VA south on the US 17 expressway to Windsor, NC before hitting a stop light. US 58 between Suffolk and Emporia is also four lanes non-stop (though Emporia itself is another story).

TheStranger

101 is getting to the point where some new fully limited access portions ought to be built or improved into such a configuration.  I seem to recall similar issues were happening a couple years in Prunedale which led to some left turn access points being converted to right only.

Pretty much that was put in place after the Prunedale Bypass proposal of the early 2000s ended up fizzling out.  Those turns through the area are still pretty tight!  At least though fewer at-grade crossing points than had been there before - the thing that makes me the most nervous about them is the blunt edge of the Jersey barriers.

101 is pretty unique in that so much of it isn't a freeway but yet four lanes divided with no traffic lights.  I can't recall another expressway in the US that features such an odd stretch of expressway for anywhere near the same length. 

Route 99 kinda has been like that since the Atwater stoplight was removed, though it seems to be on track to be full freeway in the next year or two from Wheeler Ridge to just south of Sankey Road in Sutter County.

101's last stoplight between the East Los Angeles Interchange and wherever 101 leaves the Central Freeway (originally Golden Gate/Franklin, now Van Ness/Duboce/Mission) in SF was removed in 1992 in Santa Barbara, but not before decades of debate, newspaper articles, and traffic jams through that stretch.
Chris Sampang

ClassicHasClass

I remember that Santa Barbara light. It was something like a seven-minute phase. Incredible.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 02, 2019, 11:54:58 PM
I remember that Santa Barbara light. It was something like a seven-minute phase. Incredible.

I seem to recall someone saying the light at the surface portion of CA 237 at I-880 has a similar time phase.  I'd hate to be on the wrong side of a light like that on some of side road. 

mrsman

The idling at that light was so long that there was a sign advising people to turn off their engines.

Nexus 5X

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 03, 2019, 12:13:02 AM

I seem to recall someone saying the light at the surface portion of CA 237 at I-880 has a similar time phase.  I'd hate to be on the wrong side of a light like that on some of side road. 

WB 237 at 880 has about a 4.5-minute phase at the offramp from NB I-880 during commute hours (morning and evening); with the expansion of tech firms around the east side of the bay into Fremont & Newark, the peak-hour delays are starting to get more bidirectional in nature -- with I-880 bearing the brunt of most of this, as it's the facility closest to the new corporate development.  BTW, WB 237's signal at the ramp from SB I-880 is about 4 minutes as well; it also effectively controls the flow of traffic from WB Calaveras Blvd. onto the freeway portion of 237, so it's more or less a backhanded ramp-metering system (that lets out blocks of vehicles at once!).  Despite the major rebuilding several years back, that interchange is and probably will be a mess for years to come!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.