News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Covered Bridges in Missouri

Started by Route66Fan, September 25, 2020, 01:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

I didn't know wether to put this in "Bridges", under my "National Old Trails Road - Missouri Section" or in its own post here. Here are a couple of images of a covered bridge on Tabo Creek, West of Dover, MO. I think the "National Old Trails Road" went across it.

The pictures can also be found on this Dover, MO history site.
Lost Tabo Creek Covered Bridge on Bridgehunter.
There also used to be a covered bridge on the "National Old Trails Road" between Levasy, MO, & Buckner, MO, as well as another one across the "Little Blue River" at Ripley, MO, between Fort Osage, MO, & Independence, MO.

ozarkman417

The first bridge that came to my mind when I saw this thread, and possibly the most well-known one in the state, is the Sandy Creek Bridge. It even has its own State Historic Site. The Union covered bridge, near Paris, also has its own State Historic Site.

Route66Fan

Picture of the covered bridge across the Little Blue River on "Old Lexington Road" (Also the "National Old Trails Road".), at Ripley, MO.

This bridge also carried US 24 from 1927 to 1932.
Old Lexington Road Covered Bridge at Ripley, MO, on Bridgehunter.

Route66Fan

"Wellington Covered Bridge" across East Fork Sni-A-Bar Creek, at Wellington, MO, which carried the "Old Santa Fe Trail", the "National Old Trails Road" & possibly was part of US 24.

Route66Fan

From what I found out a couple, or so, years ago, Carrollton, MO used to have a covered bridge on S. Main St, where it crosses the Wakenda creek, up until about 1919.

Route66Fan

Here is an article from the December 31, 1911, issue of the Kansas City Star about the 3 then remaining covered bridges in Jackson Co. MO, including the covered bridge over the Little Blue River on the Old Lexington Road, & the stories behind them.

Route66Fan

Quote from: Route66Fan on September 27, 2020, 04:45:36 PM
From what I found out a couple, or so, years ago, Carrollton, MO used to have a covered bridge on S. Main St, where it crosses the Wakenda creek, up until about 1919.
I, with the help of some others, have come across come articles & pictures of this covered bridges, known as the "Wakenda Creek covered bridge".
Article from the Chariton Courier (Keytesville, MO), April 12, 1912.

Article from the Chariton Courier (Keytesville, MO), October 4, 1918.

Article from the Kansas City Times, October 4, 1918.

Link to Facebook post about the Wakenda Creek covered bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.