News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Carly Simon Never Bothered to Say that It's Cold in the Winter in Madrid

Started by kernals12, January 10, 2021, 08:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Max Rockatansky

When discussing cold weather in prefer it be in the form of ice puns:

CNGL-Leudimin

Yep, we have had a massive snowstorm here in Spain, not seen for over a century. Over here on Saturday around noon (CET, 6 am Eastern) I measured 4 inches of snow on the ground, and and still snowed for a good day or so.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kernals12

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 10, 2021, 02:11:30 PM
Yep, we have had a massive snowstorm here in Spain, not seen for over a century. Over here on Saturday around noon (CET, 6 am Eastern) I measured 4 inches of snow on the ground, and and still snowed for a good day or so.

How is this possible? Is it because Madrid is at a high elevation?

ET21

Quote from: kernals12 on January 11, 2021, 11:53:02 AM

It's not unheard of but quite a rare event. Similar to how parts of Texas, Louisiana, and western Mississippi got dumped on with snow here in the states. Parts of Texas saw their largest snowfall ever on record and flakes were flying as far south as the northwestern suburbs of Houston. Just how the pattern set up this winter so far, def an anomalous season so far
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kernals12

Quote from: ET21 on January 12, 2021, 09:22:13 AM

It's not unheard of but quite a rare event. Similar to how parts of Texas, Louisiana, and western Mississippi got dumped on with snow here in the states. Parts of Texas saw their largest snowfall ever on record and flakes were flying as far south as the northwestern suburbs of Houston. Just how the pattern set up this winter so far, def an anomalous season so far

But I never hear about blizzards hitting Marseille or Paris. Is it just because I don't read enough French weather reports?

ET21

Quote from: kernals12 on January 12, 2021, 09:42:15 AM
Quote from: ET21 on January 12, 2021, 09:22:13 AM

But I never hear about blizzards hitting Marseille or Paris. Is it just because I don't read enough French weather reports?

Paris and Marseille have different mesoscale climates than Madrid, but the overall climate is similar. But no, Paris does not get large snowfalls often. They do get a few centimeters of snow each year. Their largest snowfall occurred in 1946 with 40 cm (about 15 inches)

Clinched:

hotdogPi

Does Madrid really get that cold?

Wikipedia says that the average high and low in Madrid are 50 and 37. This is significantly higher than where I (and you) live, where it's 34 and 14. Madrid's winter is more comparable to Charlotte, NC (51 and 30).

As 37 is just an average, Madrid can definitely get snow.

(Summer temperatures are even closer in Madrid and Charlotte: 89/66 and 89/68).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kernals12

Quote from: 1 on January 13, 2021, 09:35:21 AM
Does Madrid really get that cold?

Wikipedia says that the average high and low in Madrid are 50 and 37. This is significantly higher than where I (and you) live, where it's 34 and 14. Madrid's winter is more comparable to Charlotte, NC (51 and 30).

As 37 is just an average, Madrid can definitely get snow.

(Summer temperatures are even closer in Madrid and Charlotte: 89/66 and 89/68).

I would consider that cold. I've always imagined Spain as a tropical paradise, probably because I project too much of Latin America onto them.

ET21

I was looking up climate data and yes, Madrid does get snow. December and January are the coldest and most snowiest months for them, but snow totals are generally light. This recent snowstorm was an anomaly for sure, largest in 50 years

Clinched:

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kernals12

Quote from: Rothman on January 13, 2021, 01:54:43 PM
All you have to do is look at the latitude...

Which explains why Quebec and England have such similar climates. Wait

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.