News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2021 Supply Disruptions

Started by ZLoth, April 13, 2021, 03:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkman417

Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 21, 2021, 10:18:54 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 12, 2021, 06:06:18 PM
I ordered a laptop for school from HP recently. I definitely won't be surprised if my custom order (that is already not supposed to arrive until late October) gets delayed as a result of part shortages.

Quote from: E-Mail regarding my laptop's order statusAs a direct result of unexpected supply constraints, we now expect your order to ship on a revised date of  [One month after the original shipping date]
Thanks HP for literally lying to me multiple times. The support person I dealt with claimed it was currently in production (being built) earlier this month.  :banghead:
A couple of days ago, FedEx delivered my computer to me, on time, by some miracle given it was shipped around Black Friday and from Eastern China. The total time between submitting the order and the package arriving at my doorstep was 85 days.

ZLoth

Quote from: ozarkman417 on December 03, 2021, 04:28:52 PMA couple of days ago, FedEx delivered my computer to me, on time, by some miracle given it was shipped around Black Friday and from Eastern China. The total time between submitting the order and the package arriving at my doorstep was 85 days.

Ouch! I'm looking to assemble a new desktop computer next summer, and even then, I'm expecting to recycle my 1080 video card because I refuse to pay a multiplier of the MSRP for a new graphics card, and hopefully, DDR5 memory will actually be available. At least I can still utilize my current computer for quite a while and even play some of the older, unplayed games in my collection, thus a new desktop is still under the category of "want" with a side of "nice-to-have" rather than "need".

Having said that, I believe your laptop is more under "need" category rather than "want" because of the shorter lifetime and the general non-upgradability of the components.  :banghead:
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ZLoth

From Reuters:

Where's the paper, ink, lightbulbs? U.S. offices struggle with supply shortages
QuoteWhile news of the Omicron coronavirus variant threatens to derail U.S. companies' return-to-office-plans, employers trying to get workers back into offices said they are encountering a different, unforeseen challenge: keeping the lights on.

The disruptions to the global supply chain caused by factory shutdowns in Asia, congestion at U.S. ports and a nationwide labor shortage have led to widely publicized microchip and building materials shortages. Now these issues are causing shortages in everyday office supplies, everything from printer ink and toner to paper to lightbulbs.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

74/171FAN

I have barely printed anything since I have had to return to the office part-time anyway.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CtrlAltDel

I've been noticing consistently low stocks of ranch dressing.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Takumi

We've been struggling to get receipt paper from our warehouse. Haven't gotten any in over a month now, close to two. We've just had to get it from other stores that were more fortunate.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 05, 2021, 01:33:07 PM

If there's any shortage that would spark a new civil war, it would be that.

"Give me ranch or give me death" –my wife, probably
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 05, 2021, 01:33:07 PM
Huh.  I was at a function just a couple of days ago that had copious amounts of ranch dressing available.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

There was no brown sugar in the store when my wife went shopping this morning. Which could lead to a shortage of Christmas Cookies.   :angry:

JayhawkCO

Quote from: GaryV on December 06, 2021, 09:14:36 AM
There was no brown sugar in the store when my wife went shopping this morning. Which could lead to a shortage of Christmas Cookies.   :angry:

Use white sugar and molasses.  Same thing.

GaryV

She found brown sugar later this morning at another store that she stopped at on the way home from her chorus rehearsal.  Probably just a temporary interruption at the store where she usually shops.

ZLoth

From CNBC:

"˜Even Santa himself won't be able to deliver': How the global chip shortage could dampen Christmas
QuoteThe global chip shortage has been rumbling on all year and still hasn't gone away.

But what does that mean for Christmas? Will some presents be harder to get hold of or more expensive?

That depends on what you're after and how late you leave your Christmas shopping.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

I'm in process of replacing my Pixel 3 phone and my mothers Samsung S8 phone with Pixel 6 Pros. The order was placed on November 10th, but the expected ship date, because my mother wanted a white phone and I went with the 256GB models, isn't under December 31st. As it is already, I'm having to carry around a battery pack to keep my phone charged when I'm either not at home or in my car. The Pixel 3 battery replacement is.... challenging.

I also wanted to build a new system around the latest Intel CPUs to replace my seven year old system. Slight problem: DDR5 memory modules are "unobtainable" at the moment. This is already pushed back to next summer.

ZLoth

From CNBC:

Ford stops reservations for F-150 Lightning electric pickup due to strong demand, CEO tells Cramer
QuoteFord CEO Jim Farley said Thursday that interest in the automaker's soon-to-launch F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck is so great that it had to stop taking reservations.

"We are completely oversubscribed with our battery electric vehicles, Lightning especially,"  Farley said in an interview during a special live online event, "CNBC Investing Club: Jim Cramer's Game Plan for 2022."

"We had to stop reservations we got so many,"  Farley added. "We stopped at 200,000, and those are orders. Hard orders."
FULL ARTICLE HERE

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ZLoth on December 13, 2021, 12:07:56 PM
From CNBC:

Ford stops reservations for F-150 Lightning electric pickup due to strong demand, CEO tells Cramer
QuoteFord CEO Jim Farley said Thursday that interest in the automaker's soon-to-launch F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck is so great that it had to stop taking reservations.

"We are completely oversubscribed with our battery electric vehicles, Lightning especially,"  Farley said in an interview during a special live online event, "CNBC Investing Club: Jim Cramer's Game Plan for 2022."

"We had to stop reservations we got so many,"  Farley added. "We stopped at 200,000, and those are orders. Hard orders."
FULL ARTICLE HERE

I had a 2021 Ford Bronco reserved.  There kept being enough delays that I wasn't going to get it maybe mid 2022 at best, but my previous car was on its last electrical legs, so I had to change plans and get a different ride instead.

LM117

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 13, 2021, 12:14:47 PM
From CNBC:

FULL ARTICLE HERE

I had a 2021 Ford Bronco reserved.  There kept being enough delays that I wasn't going to get it maybe mid 2022 at best, but my previous car was on its last electrical legs, so I had to change plans and get a different ride instead.

I noticed on the Bronco6g forum that there's a lot of pissed off people for similar reasons. Ford dealers have also been jacking up the prices on Broncos way beyond the MSRP.

I've been considering the Ranger myself.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

JayhawkCO

Quote from: LM117 on December 13, 2021, 12:31:02 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on December 13, 2021, 12:14:47 PM
From CNBC:

FULL ARTICLE HERE

I noticed on the Bronco6g forum that there's a lot of pissed off people for similar reasons. Ford dealers have also been jacking up the prices on Broncos way beyond the MSRP.

I've been considering the Ranger myself.

Yep.  I used to be an active member on that forum.  I haven't gone back to check in on everyone in our Colorado Buyers' Group.  I'm really happy I got my 2019 Rubicon before used car prices started going through the roof.

catch22

From CNBC:

FULL ARTICLE HERE

The lease on my wife's Ford Escape is up in mid-February.  Normally, we just browse the dealer's inventory for a replacement a couple of weeks prior to the end date (we've been dealing with the same guy for over 20 years), send him the VIN in an email, he sends me back a copy of the invoice and we agree on a price and we go in a couple of days later for the test drive and paper-signing.

This time, he called us in early November saying we needed to factory order our replacement like RIGHT NOW.  I considered going with the hybrid, but he said it would take 6 to 9 months. The plug-in hybrid would take 9 to 12 months.  The EFI models take about 2 months so we went with that. He said if the new car doesn't come fast enough we can extend the lease month-by-month.

On the way home, we drove by their storage lot that normally has well over 500 cars, and it was empty.

LM117

Anybody wanna skip Philadelphia cream cheese and get reimbursed $20 for doing so? Kraft has you covered!

https://thehill.com/changing-america/resilience/smart-cities/585979-kraft-to-pay-20-to-18000-shoppers-for-not-making
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kevinb1994

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: catch22 on December 13, 2021, 04:59:44 PM

On the way home, we drove by their storage lot that normally has well over 500 cars, and it was empty.

I'm guessing supply shortages put this small used car dealer out of business:

https://goo.gl/maps/uZ2wqbRXk6yB9jaWA

Bruce

In Japan, McDonald's is only selling their smallest size of french fries, blaming the floods in British Columbia and the general supply crunch.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/22/mcdonalds-rations-fries-in-japan-due-to-potato-shortage

Rothman

Quote from: Bruce on December 22, 2021, 12:28:37 AM
In Japan, McDonald's is only selling their smallest size of french fries, blaming the floods in British Columbia and the general supply crunch.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/22/mcdonalds-rations-fries-in-japan-due-to-potato-shortage
Huh.  I thought McDonald's liked to set up local production of their supplies.  I guess in Japan that just wasn't possible (the old story of Japan continues).

They could always buy American.  Wonder why they weren't importing from Simplot, unless those potatoes were needed for American stores.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on December 22, 2021, 06:54:58 AM

Huh.  I thought McDonald's liked to set up local production of their supplies.  I guess in Japan that just wasn't possible (the old story of Japan continues).

They could always buy American.  Wonder why they weren't importing from Simplot, unless those potatoes were needed for American stores.
As far as I remember, they use potatoes which doesn't grow in Asian climate, so they ship from US/canada. During some previous disruption, they even airlifted it from US.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on December 22, 2021, 08:31:21 AM

As far as I remember, they use potatoes which doesn't grow in Asian climate, so they ship from US/canada. During some previous disruption, they even airlifted it from US.
If potatoes will grow on Mars, they'll grow in Japan or China.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on December 22, 2021, 11:24:42 PM
Quote from: kalvado on December 22, 2021, 08:31:21 AM

If potatoes will grow on Mars, they'll grow in Japan or China.
But would the taste and texture conform to McDonald's specs?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.