News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Truck Climb Lanes that allow left GP lane to be used as downhill passing lane

Started by roadman65, August 12, 2021, 03:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was noticing at various points along US 101 in Oregon, where a third lane is added to a two lane road for truck climbing on steep grades, that some have the center line broken on the downhill side instead of a double solid line.  In other words downhill traffic can use the center uphill general purpose lane to pass a slow moving vehicle going downward.

Are there any other places around, that have this particular setup in mountain areas?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MikieTimT

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on August 12, 2021, 03:45:16 PM
I was noticing at various points along US 101 in Oregon, where a third lane is added to a two lane road for truck climbing on steep grades, that some have the center line broken on the downhill side instead of a double solid line.  In other words downhill traffic can use the center uphill general purpose lane to pass a slow moving vehicle going downward.

Are there any other places around, that have this particular setup in mountain areas?

Very common in Kentucky, often marked with white "Pass Only When Center Lane Is Clear" signage.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

It's not specific to sections with steep grades. I know we've had threads about this before and it's actually fairly common out west. And it's done up in Ontario, as well: here is one such section of ON 15.

jmacswimmer

I did a 2-lane pass on a road exactly as the OP describes - US 24/285 heading downhill into South Park to where they split at Antero Junction, CO.

(edited to add in GSV link)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

TEG24601

That seems to be common practice, and quite logical.  But it isn't just hill zones, but many other places where a lane is added, I will see center markings that allow for the side with the single to use the oncoming lane to pass.  In WA, OR, MI, BC, ON, AB, and ID specifically.  Not always, but common.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

kphoger

I feel like we've had a thread about this before, but I don't have time to search for it.

But yes, several states have no problem with this setup.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

WV had a set up like this on US 33 or WV 32.  I passed a truck, which the state strictly restricts to a low speed to prevent runaways, so I was thankful for the allowance.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 12, 2021, 04:26:19 PM
I feel like we've had a thread about this before, but I don't have time to search for it.

You might not find it even if you did have time, because I already tried and found a few somewhat relevant results, but not the thread I was thinking of.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Rothman on August 12, 2021, 04:30:26 PM
WV had a set up like this on US 33 or WV 32.  I passed a truck, which the state strictly restricts to a low speed to prevent runaways, so I was thankful for the allowance.

For many years, the center passing lane was the standard in West Virginia for most of the uphill truck lanes.  In fact, much of the West Virginia Turnpike had been converted to three lanes operating like this prior to the upgrade to Interstate standards.  There were a bunch of them across US-60 between Gauley Bridge and Sam Black Church, but I recall that many of them have been converted to uphill passing only.

MASTERNC

kphoger

This used to be the one I most frequently used:  US-400 east of Wichita.  However, it was recently widened to four lanes.  Most of the three-lane sections have been similarly widened, but I think this one farther east might still be three.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

zachary_amaryllis

colorado does this quite frequently. when this happens, the uphill side is signed 'keep right except to pass'. i always wondered... if i'm passing someone, going downhill, do i have the use of both uphill lanes, or am i restricted to the one immediately to my left. in the location i'm showing here, usually traffic is too busy to do the pass, though.

example near me: https://goo.gl/maps/WaAQjwtw86qgB4GVA

us 287/sh 14 looking highway south/east
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

jakeroot

Definitely used to seeing this around the Pacific Northwest.

On my way up US-2 Stevens Pass in Washington State, I remember having someone pass an oncoming car using the passing lane in my direction (it happened here). Of course, I was in the through lane as required by law, so it worked fine. But man, it felt really strange having someone coming at me with only a white dashed line between us. Still, I'm glad it's allowed, especially on the far-side of a mountain pass where you're unlikely to experience many (if any) designated passing lanes.

Scott5114

The Chickasaw Turnpike (nascent OK-301) has a portion like this on level ground; all three lanes have dashed lines. So theoretically, going in the direction which has two lanes, you could be passing someone in the right lane and have someone pass you on the left in the oncoming lane.

This would require three cars to be on the Chickasaw Turnpike at the same time, of course, which is unrealistic.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Interesting note about Wisconsin's use of these -- they have white regulatory signs that prohibit passing out of the single lane if there is oncoming traffic in either of the two opposing lanes. While Kentucky's white signs say you can pass only when the center lane is clear, Wisconsin requires both lanes to be clear before you can legally pass.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

Very common in Utah and not just on hills.

Utah's law also requires both oncoming lanes to be clear to pass out of the single lane, which seems a lot safer to me - yet it seems drivers often disregard that.

UCFKnights

GaryV

I recall signs in MI (probably the UP) saying "Do Not Pass When Opposing Traffic Is Present" or something very close to that.  Because you'd never know if someone in the right lane of the 2-lane passing zone would move over to the left.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on August 16, 2021, 10:53:11 AM
I recall signs in MI (probably the UP) saying "Do Not Pass When Opposing Traffic Is Present" or something very close to that.  Because you'd never know if someone in the right lane of the 2-lane passing zone would move over to the left.
I like how they have those passing lanes every so often that helps out a lot. I think there are about 12 of them between St Ignace and Escanaba on US-2.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 16, 2021, 11:06:08 AM
Quote from: GaryV on August 16, 2021, 10:53:11 AM
I like how they have those passing lanes every so often that helps out a lot. I think there are about 12 of them between St Ignace and Escanaba on US-2.
They even have signs that tell you how many passing zones there are.

1995hoo

I don't think it's an example of a climbing lane given that the road is fairly flat, but here's an example from the Trans-Canada Highway in Newfoundland of a location where there are two lanes northbound and southbound traffic has a passing zone. There are many other places along that road in Newfoundland where that configuration exists.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on August 15, 2021, 11:43:05 PM
Interesting note about Wisconsin's use of these -- they have white regulatory signs that prohibit passing out of the single lane if there is oncoming traffic in either of the two opposing lanes. While Kentucky's white signs say you can pass only when the center lane is clear, Wisconsin requires both lanes to be clear before you can legally pass.

Quote from: US 89 on August 15, 2021, 11:57:10 PM
Utah's law also requires both oncoming lanes to be clear to pass out of the single lane, which seems a lot safer to me - yet it seems drivers often disregard that.

One time here in Kansas, I was driving in the single-lane direction, an oncoming vehicle was in the far lane, so I passed down the center between them–and the oncoming driving honked at me, even though we weren't in the same lane.
Male pronouns, please.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: kphoger on August 16, 2021, 03:46:56 PM

One time here in Kansas, I was driving in the single-lane direction, an oncoming vehicle was in the far lane, so I passed down the center between them–and the oncoming driving honked at me, even though we weren't in the same lane.

Not sure what Colorado's stance on this is, but a couple days before I did the aforementioned pass on US 24/285 during the same trip, we were here on US 50 west when a van heading eastbound passed in the westbound left lane next to us in the right lane - I remember us both being a little caught off guard by it, especially since it happened in the middle of that gradual curve.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

wanderer2575

Same in Michigan:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.