News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Windows 11

Started by JoePCool14, October 05, 2021, 04:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you upgrade to Windows 11?

Yes, as soon as possible. OR I already have.
4 (8.7%)
Yes, but I'm going to wait.
15 (32.6%)
Not for the foreseeable future.
20 (43.5%)
Never.
7 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: November 04, 2021, 05:00:55 PM

JoePCool14

So I guess all of a sudden (or maybe it was planned), Windows 11's official release was today.

There's lots of visual changes, going back to a more rounded and colorful look. The taskbar is now by default centered. The Start menu is much more simplified. Teams is integrated more directly. Xbox (the app) has been updated. The Store has been updated, yet again. And there's a few other new features.

What's more striking as I've been doing some basic research is the shear amount of features being removed. Almost all taskbar customization is gone, including moving it to a different side of the screen, small taskbars, separating different instances of applications, etc. Synced wallpapers is gone. Previews of folders with videos or photos is gone. All Windows 10 Start menu customization is gone. And a few other features like Timeline and People that I think were seldom used by most. Even the taskbar's context menu is basically gone, the only thing you can link to is Settings.

There's a lot that hasn't changed either. All those old Windows 95 era menus are still there, without dark mode.

You'll notice that the list of things removed seems to be as long, if not longer, than the new features. The functionality and customization of the OS basically has been restricted even more so than iOS now. Not to mention the at this point traditional Microsoft inconsistency.

I think Windows 11 sounds like a pure downgrade, and to be honest, a disaster. The only cool thing is the new design language, which isn't worth it if so much has been removed. I have no intention to upgrade, I don't care if it's free. It feels completely unfinished.

What are your thoughts? Will you upgrade now, or later, or is Windows 11 yet another disaster OS?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kalvado

I'll hold on upgrade until 22.04 is released

catch22

I've had 11 on one of my laptops via the Insider Program for a couple of months now.

It works well enough, and they've quashed most of the bugs.  All my apps (including a couple of ancient 32-bit ones) work fine.

I do think the lack of start menu and taskbar customization will be a show-stopper for many.  I don't care at all for the "only combine apps when taskbar is full" being removed, and the ability to show labels as well.  Also, the ability to drag-and-drop files to apps on the taskbar is gone.

The context menu requires two mouse clicks instead of one to display all the choices. Why?

There are work-arounds, such as StartAllBack which restore most of the taskbar and start menu functionality.

Now that it's been released, I'll likely opt out of the program for a while and restore 10 from my backups.  There's nothing in the new release that I will miss going back to 10.  I have no plans to update my daily driver desktop for a while.

ozarkman417

For over 20 years now, every other Windows release has been considered to be subpar. Windows 11 has the same fatal flaw that Vista had: drastically increased hardware requirements compared to its predecessor. In ME's defense, it is the only release of Windows on the list below not to based off the NT kernel:

2000 ME XP Vista 7 8 10 11?

My HP ENVY x360 will have Windows 11 pre-installed. I did not have a choice between Windows 10 and 11 when I ordered it. HP started requiring Custom-to-Order computers to be pre-installed with Windows 11 on September 1, 2021. As for my desktop, I would need to enable TPM to upgrade, which I do not plan on doing until I get to try it on my laptop, if I even like the new OS.

kevinb1994

I like the idea. But I'll wait a year before upgrading. It's not really that big of a deal for me. Plus I need to see which device I can get my hands on that supports it best. Sometimes I don't have much luck with this.

SSOWorld

When the third service pack is released, I'll upgrade.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

MikeTheActuary

I've been running it on my main PC since it became available on the Insiders Beta channel, and I immediately put it on my new laptop when it arrived last week, because the dissonance of having different versions of Windows on my two daily use machines gave me a headache.

I think Microsoft may have broken the "every other version" curse.  However, I don't really consider Win 11 to be quite so dramatic a change from Win 10 as the other major version updates that Microsoft has been infamous for.

I've come to the realization, however, that I must be the only person who actually liked the Win 10 start menu.  I'm going to miss it.

vdeane

As someone who has used options like "small icons" and "only combine when taskbar is full" to make the 7+ taskbars function 75% like the taskbar did from 95-Vista (I do allow pinning programs rather than going back to the "quick launch" toolbar), as well as pinning frequently used files/folders, this is a HUGE downgrade and I sincerely hope IT never forces us to use it at work.  Fortunately, I don't have to worry about this at home.  Crap like this is a major part of why I only use Linux on my home computers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SkyPesos

I'll upgrade when the anticipated Android apps feature gets added.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 05, 2021, 09:40:17 PM
I'll upgrade when the anticipated Android apps feature gets added.

That would be one reason I could see myself upgrading. It would be nice to use something like Snapchat on my computer. Not so I can discretely save photos, but simply so I can type messages on a real keyboard.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ilpt4u

Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 05, 2021, 06:11:03 PM
For over 20 years now, every other Windows release has been considered to be subpar. Windows 11 has the same fatal flaw that Vista had: drastically increased hardware requirements compared to its predecessor. In ME's defense, it is the only release of Windows on the list below not to based off the NT kernel:

You can continue your Windows History back a couple more Generations

3.0 3.1(1) 95 98

I'm not sure where to put NT 3.51 nor NT 4, and I never used 3.51 and only 4 just a tiny bit

rickmastfan67

Not going to even touch 11.  Would have to build/buy a completely new computer.  Just ain't in the cards at this time to even consider it.

Dirt Roads

I've seen this discussed on AARoads several times, but it seems to me that Windows 8.1 (meaning not quite Windows 9) was the improved version and Windows 10 has been subpar. 

Scott5114

Y'all guys actually let your developers remove features?

What do you mean, you don't have a say in what your developers do?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 05, 2021, 11:13:32 PM

You can continue your Windows History back a couple more Generations

3.0 3.1(1) 95 98

I'm not sure where to put NT 3.51 nor NT 4, and I never used 3.51 and only 4 just a tiny bit

I only used NT 3.51 a couple of times, but NT 4 had a good long life until Windows 2000 was released.  3.51 was usable, but 4 was better. 2000 was better yet, but XP Pro was probably Microsoft's all time best OS.  Win 7 was good, 8 sucked.  I had retired before 10 was released, so I have no professional experience with it. 

After I retired, I removed all things Microsoft from my machines at home.  We're a 100% Linux Mint 20 house now, although the new Slackware 15 will get a test run once it's released.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Scott5114

↑ I've never used Mint, just Fedora and Ubuntu (and a brief period of SuSE way back at the start of my Linux journey). What do you like about it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Billy F 1988

I'm keeping my laptop as it is because I'm not plopping another $400 or whatever to put an annoying OS on my current PC only for it to *POOP* itself to nothingness. If Microsoft forces me to upgrade to W11, hell no. I'm staying put with 10 because that's as far as I'm gonna go as far as OSes are to me. It's not perfect. It has its flaws. But I'm more confident in using W10 version 21H2 than this newer fancy dancy schmuck Microsoft just put out.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

bwana39

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 06, 2021, 05:31:33 PM
I'm keeping my laptop as it is because I'm not plopping another $400 or whatever to put an annoying OS on my current PC only for it to *POOP* itself to nothingness. If Microsoft forces me to upgrade to W11, hell no. I'm staying put with 10 because that's as far as I'm gonna go as far as OSes are to me. It's not perfect. It has its flaws. But I'm more confident in using W10 version 21H2 than this newer fancy dancy schmuck Microsoft just put out.

So you were the guy who clutched and dared them to get rid of your computer with XP or Vista?

I am not scared of Windows 11. I ran the early previews of Windows 10 with stunning success.

My issue is I have a year old machine with a 9th Generation Intel I9 processor and my computer is not eligible for Windows 11.

I will say. I had one of the earlier AMD quad cores and it was a three day downtime almost every time windows 10 was upgraded after the first couple of times. The problem appears there was an assumption that the faster AMD's from that time frame were all gone.  It was faster than the Intel in my five year old desktop here at work.  The point being just because W11 supports your machine now does not mean that it will support it down the line.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

vdeane

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 06, 2021, 03:45:13 AM
↑ I've never used Mint, just Fedora and Ubuntu (and a brief period of SuSE way back at the start of my Linux journey). What do you like about it?
I'm not sure what KeithE4Phx thinks of it, but I also run Mint so I'll comment here.  I actually started using it because it's a stable system that has MATE/Cinnamon editions, and I figure why not just run a version that uses the preferred DE (I've run both over the years) rather than a system where I'd have to install it and then have multiple on the system, one of which wouldn't be used (yes, my OCD organizational tendencies does extend to computer file systems, why do you ask?).  I also like that it's easy to get all the multimedia codecs working, which might be less applicable now than it was when MP3s were patent protected and Flash was still around (plus it's now a checkbox in installation rather than included by default for legal reasons and I believe other distros have adopted such, so Mint is no longer unique in that respect).  Overall it seems like they put together a nice distro for those who like the desktop for the desktop and don't need things made to function more like a phone or tablet and IMO it's a good compromise between "let's remove all the features for simplicity" and "you can do anything you want as long as you're an expert at the command line and editing config files".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: vdeane on October 06, 2021, 08:59:07 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 06, 2021, 03:45:13 AM

I'm not sure what KeithE4Phx thinks of it, but I also run Mint so I'll comment here.  I actually started using it because it's a stable system that has MATE/Cinnamon editions, and I figure why not just run a version that uses the preferred DE (I've run both over the years) rather than a system where I'd have to install it and then have multiple on the system, one of which wouldn't be used (yes, my OCD organizational tendencies does extend to computer file systems, why do you ask?).

I've been running Mint since 2014.  It's no more perfect than any OS (and, for the record, no OS is perfect), but if you're coming from Windows, the Mate and Cinnamon GUIs are close to it.  I prefer to use XFCE because it is a bit faster and my machines are not speed demons by 2021 standards.  But then, I'm a ham operator, not a gamer, so speed isn't as critical. 

QuoteI also like that it's easy to get all the multimedia codecs working, which might be less applicable now than it was when MP3s were patent protected and Flash was still around (plus it's now a checkbox in installation rather than included by default for legal reasons and I believe other distros have adopted such, so Mint is no longer unique in that respect).

IIRC, the MP3 patents expired a few years back, and Adobe Flash has finally assumed room temperature.  I believe there are a couple of codecs that are still patent-encumbered, but as long as you're not going to use them commercially, it should be OK to install (depends on the country, though).

QuoteOverall it seems like they put together a nice distro for those who like the desktop for the desktop and don't need things made to function more like a phone or tablet and IMO it's a good compromise between "let's remove all the features for simplicity" and "you can do anything you want as long as you're an expert at the command line and editing config files".

Mint is the "easy" OS -- easier than Ubuntu, I feel.  Its biggest problem is that it's a good idea to wait at least a month after release before installing the latest version.  But I feel the same about all Linux-based OSes (I despise the term "distro," even though I still use it at times).  Bugs happen, especially with a "dot zero" version that is brand new. 

The current Mint release is version 20.2, released last July.  20.3 should be released right around the end of the year.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

jakeroot

I am using Windows 11. I completed the upgrade today.

Overall? Not much to say yet, but there are two features that I appreciate quite a lot using an odd 32:9 monitor:

* 1: the centered taskbar is much easier for me to manage/access. I access most functions using shortcut keys, so the whole issue of the hitbox constantly moving is not an issue.
* 2: the ability to size/shape windows using the middle-button dropdown is an awesome feature, and makes using a wide monitor much easier.

tolbs17

My computer doesn't support it, and the computer I have is Dell Inspiron which is a May 2013 build and it's 8 years old. So I think it's time for me to get a new computer and then I'll try it out!

~Tolbs

bwana39

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 06, 2021, 10:19:45 PM
My computer doesn't support it, and the computer I have is Dell Inspiron which is a May 2013 build and it's 8 years old. So I think it's time for me to get a new computer and then I'll try it out!

~Tolbs

My 2015 Lenovo Think Center at work DOES support it.  My 2020 Gaming desktop however will not....
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

tolbs17

Quote from: bwana39 on October 06, 2021, 10:30:26 PM

~Tolbs

My 2015 Lenovo Think Center at work DOES support it.  My 2020 Gaming desktop however will not....
I don't like gaming hardware. I find them unreliable and they probably CAN easily run into issues like that.

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 06, 2021, 10:33:56 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on October 06, 2021, 10:30:26 PM

~Tolbs

I don't like gaming hardware. I find them unreliable and they probably CAN easily run into issues like that.
"Gaming" is pretty much a marketing term for hardware. You can have a piece of hardware be as much or as little "gaming" as you like.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.