News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ask me anything about Russia.

Started by BuildTheRussian, October 25, 2021, 07:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

What's the deal with all the little amusement parks, then?

BuildTheRussian

Quote from: nexus73 on October 26, 2021, 10:24:21 PM
Does Russia have cable TV/  Satellite TV?  What kind of formats does Russian broadcast radio have?  In the USA we have satellite radio from Sirius.  Is there such a setup in Russia?

More pop culture questions: Are there comic books and comic strips in Russia?  What kind of books are best sellers?  Do non-Russian movies attract an audience in Russia?

Rick

Yes, we do. Analog TV was recently shut down here. Our format is FM-only as far as I know. I've never heard of "Sirius radio" before.

Of course we do. I don't know that much about books. And yes, we do like to watch non-Russian movies, for example "Rambo" someone mentioned a few posts above.

BuildTheRussian

Quote from: empirestate on October 27, 2021, 02:34:27 AM

It's just a low-budget amusement park. Probably temporary since they didn't bother to pave the paths and stuff like that. Temporary attractions are common here in the summer.

nexus73

In the USA we have a storyline called Westerns.  Books, TV shows and movies saw many made which dealt with the westward expansion all the way to the Pacific coast.  Does Russia have the same thing for their expansion eastward to the Pacific? 

Is American football liked in Russia?  How about baseball?

Sirius is a privately owned firm which uses satellites to send a huge variety of radio channels to receivers with many of these receivers being in vehicles.  Read about them on Wikipedia.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

BuildTheRussian

Quote from: nexus73 on October 27, 2021, 09:48:47 AM
In the USA we have a storyline called Westerns.  Books, TV shows and movies saw many made which dealt with the westward expansion all the way to the Pacific coast.  Does Russia have the same thing for their expansion eastward to the Pacific? 

Is American football liked in Russia?  How about baseball?

Sirius is a privately owned firm which uses satellites to send a huge variety of radio channels to receivers with many of these receivers being in vehicles.  Read about them on Wikipedia.

Rick

1. We used to have something similar in Soviet times, "Osterns". "White Sun of the Desert" is an Ostern film. Though that genre has died some years ago, and most Russians don't even know that that genre even used to exist.

2. They're not as popular as for example football, but they're still played here.

nexus73

I did wonder if they would be called "Easterns" in Russia.  Westerns were huge in the USA through the Seventies with some more modern movies coming along later.  Clint Eastwood made his mark in this genre.  Some Westerns were made in Italy, so they were called "spaghetti westerns". 

This thread has been one of the most interesting I have seen on AARoads.  Why not ask a real person what is going on?  That beats dealing with misconceptions and stereotypes. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

empirestate

Quote from: BuildTheRussian on October 27, 2021, 06:11:03 AM

It's just a low-budget amusement park. Probably temporary since they didn't bother to pave the paths and stuff like that. Temporary attractions are common here in the summer.

Is that something particular to Russian culture, or more specifically to the post-Soviet economy? At least for that guessing game, the amusement park turned out to be a dead giveaway that it was Russia or a former SSR.

BuildTheRussian

Quote from: empirestate on October 27, 2021, 10:20:26 AM
Quote from: BuildTheRussian on October 27, 2021, 06:11:03 AM

Is that something particular to Russian culture, or more specifically to the post-Soviet economy? At least for that guessing game, the amusement park turned out to be a dead giveaway that it was Russia or a former SSR.

It's a kind of business here. For example, in the summer, you can find bouncy houses in and around parks. Parents can pay the owner a small fee to let their child play in it.

empirestate

Quote from: BuildTheRussian on October 27, 2021, 10:34:10 AM
It's a kind of business here. For example, in the summer, you can find bouncy houses in and around parks. Parents can pay the owner a small fee to let their child play in it.

Thanks. I took that photo on my only visit ever to Russia, in Petropavlovsk 12 years ago. One thing I noticed was that, while the city overall seemed a little tired and worn-out (from the rusting ships and derricks in the harbor to the drab former Soviet architecture and the seemingly abandoned old theatre and churches), the people out in the streets tended to be well-dressed and gave an air of prosperity. My sense was that they represented an emerging middle class, but I don't know how much of that was perception and how much reality.

Is that something that might be seen in other parts of Russia, particularly outside the big European cities in the west?

BuildTheRussian

Quote from: empirestate on October 27, 2021, 10:53:08 AM
Quote from: BuildTheRussian on October 27, 2021, 10:34:10 AM

Thanks. I took that photo on my only visit ever to Russia, in Petropavlovsk 12 years ago. One thing I noticed was that, while the city overall seemed a little tired and worn-out (from the rusting ships and derricks in the harbor to the drab former Soviet architecture and the seemingly abandoned old theatre and churches), the people out in the streets tended to be well-dressed and gave an air of prosperity. My sense was that they represented an emerging middle class, but I don't know how much of that was perception and how much reality.

Is that something that might be seen in other parts of Russia, particularly outside the big European cities in the west?

Yes, in Moscow especially.

hbelkins

Regarding the 9th and 11th grade certificates, I'm curious as to the average ages of those who finish the 9th grade. Here, graduating high school seniors (12th grade) are usually 17 or 18 years old. I was 17; I did not turn 18 until the my first semester of college was nearly over). Do Russian kids start school later? Because here, a 9th grader is usually only 13 or 14.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

BuildTheRussian

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2021, 01:44:55 PM
Regarding the 9th and 11th grade certificates, I'm curious as to the average ages of those who finish the 9th grade. Here, graduating high school seniors (12th grade) are usually 17 or 18 years old. I was 17; I did not turn 18 until the my first semester of college was nearly over). Do Russian kids start school later? Because here, a 9th grader is usually only 13 or 14.

Here you can enroll into school if you're between 6.5 and 8 years of age. Most people here (myself included) started going to school when they were 7.
I was 15 when I finished 9th grade, and I'm pretty sure most people would also be 15 when they are finishing 9th grade.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: BuildTheRussian on October 27, 2021, 02:53:32 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2021, 01:44:55 PM

Here you can enroll into school if you're between 6.5 and 8 years of age. Most people here (myself included) started going to school when they were 7.
I was 15 when I finished 9th grade, and I'm pretty sure most people would also be 15 when they are finishing 9th grade.

Interesting.  Here we start normally at age 5.

Chris

Brandon

This has been an interesting read.  Some of my ancestors were Volgadeutsch from the area around Saratov and Engels.

I've done some poking around on Google street view on Russian roads, and they are quite interesting to see.  As for road quality, you folks have to put up with a road agency (DOT) that waits until holes show up in bridge decks like mine (Illinois Department of Transportation) does?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

BuildTheRussian

Quote from: Brandon on October 27, 2021, 04:19:46 PM
This has been an interesting read.  Some of my ancestors were Volgadeutsch from the area around Saratov and Engels.

I've done some poking around on Google street view on Russian roads, and they are quite interesting to see.  As for road quality, you folks have to put up with a road agency (DOT) that waits until holes show up in bridge decks like mine (Illinois Department of Transportation) does?

Pretty much yeah.

Duke87

Quote from: BuildTheRussian on October 26, 2021, 03:59:45 PM
I have already graduated in May. Here in Russia, you can choose either to leave after 9th grade, or stay until 11th. I chose 9th because I'm tired of school. Will try to get into a college next year.
We were never really taught about Stalin. We were only taught Russian history between 16th and 19th centuries.
I think they teach you 20th century history in 10th and 11th grades.

See, this is fascinating. It makes some sense that 20th century history would be the... touchiest part, and therefore the one they'd want to hold off on talking about until the later years not everyone sticks around for.
Meanwhile I learned all about 20th century Russian history in school, but nothing earlier since that wouldn't be considered relevant to the US.

My own question: how common is it for people in your area to travel to the adjacent countries to the south (Kazakhstan, Mongolia)? What is the experience of crossing the border to go there like? Is it a lengthy/involved/intimidating process or is it more of a casual formality?

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

BuildTheRussian

Quote from: Duke87 on October 27, 2021, 07:02:26 PM
Quote from: BuildTheRussian on October 26, 2021, 03:59:45 PM
I have already graduated in May. Here in Russia, you can choose either to leave after 9th grade, or stay until 11th. I chose 9th because I'm tired of school. Will try to get into a college next year.
We were never really taught about Stalin. We were only taught Russian history between 16th and 19th centuries.
I think they teach you 20th century history in 10th and 11th grades.

See, this is fascinating. It makes some sense that 20th century history would be the... touchiest part, and therefore the one they'd want to hold off on talking about until the later years not everyone sticks around for.
Meanwhile I learned all about 20th century Russian history in school, but nothing earlier since that wouldn't be considered relevant to the US.

My own question: how common is it for people in your area to travel to the adjacent countries to the south (Kazakhstan, Mongolia)? What is the experience of crossing the border to go there like? Is it a lengthy/involved/intimidating process or is it more of a casual formality?

It is quite common. People here travel not only to Kazakhstan and Mongolia, but all the former Soviet countries in general. I've never crossed the border, so I can't tell you it from my own perspective. To cross the border, you'd need to get a "foreign passport" (there are 2 kinds of passports in Russia, the "internal passport", basically our equivalent of ID, and the "foreign passport"). It's quite a lengthy process.

nexus73

Are mobster themed movies popular in Russia?  They do quite well in the USA and have done so for almost a century.

By the way, your ability to write in English is exceptionally good!

Rick

BuildTheRussian

Quote from: nexus73 on October 28, 2021, 11:05:22 AM
Are mobster themed movies popular in Russia?  They do quite well in the USA and have done so for almost a century.

By the way, your ability to write in English is exceptionally good!

Rick

1. Yes. An example is the "Brigada" miniseries. It's set between 1989 and 2000. Crime rate used to be high in the 90s after the Soviet Union collapsed.
Another example are the "Bumer" movies.

Thank you.

SkyPesos

Have you ridden the Sapsan high speed rail before. If so, how was the experience? Asking this as I noticed that the HSR line uses Siemens Velaro trains, which is my favorite general HSR rolling stock out there.

Also with railways, the Trans Siberian Railway seems interesting. I may have to try it out sometime in the future.

BuildTheRussian

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 29, 2021, 02:10:44 AM
Have you ridden the Sapsan high speed rail before. If so, how was the experience? Asking this as I noticed that the HSR line uses Siemens Velaro trains, which is my favorite general HSR rolling stock out there.

Also with railways, the Trans Siberian Railway seems interesting. I may have to try it out sometime in the future.

No sadly. The farthest I've ever gone by train was Achinsk.

NWI_Irish96

How much are the Russian people aware of what's going on in Ukraine?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 14, 2022, 07:34:58 AM
Quite.  I just had a friend leave a cushy resort management position in Kazan' and bolt for Orlando, FL to do the same kind of thing because of the turbulence.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

BuildTheRussian

We're aware of it, but unlike the Westerners, we don't panic about Ukraine.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: BuildTheRussian on February 14, 2022, 10:44:17 AM
We're aware of it, but unlike the Westerners, we don't panic about Ukraine.

Your country is about to invade another sovereign country without provocation and that doesn't concern you?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.