News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ask Me Anything About Southeast Texas

Started by CoreySamson, October 28, 2021, 04:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

I think splitting up Texas into a couple regions works best, so I'll make the South Texas one (besides, I don't know much about north Texas). I've always felt that the Houston area is one of the worst represented cities on this forum, so I'd think some people would have some interesting questions.

Here's some interesting trivia: Houston, despite it's location within the state, is not necessarily called "Southeastern Texas" by anyone except the NWS. That term is mostly reserved for the Beaumont/Port Arthur area.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kevinb1994

CoreySamson

It's definitely better in Houston and San Antonio than it is in LA, Chicago, NYC, or heck, even Baton Rouge on the freeway level, but arterials and local streets can get extremely backed up. I think this might be partially because most traffic lights here in Houston have protected-only left turns (not many permissive ones to be found here).

Austin, though, is a complete mess.

My Route Log
My Clinches

TXtoNJ

Houston's perfectly well represented on this forum, there are like a good half dozen of us who are native or transplants. @MaxConcrete wrote the literal book on Houston Freeways.

Besides, South Texas is San Antonio down to the Valley. Houston's either Southeast Texas or the Texas Gulf Coast.

CoreySamson

Guess Southeast Texas is a better descriptor for this thread, then.

My Route Log
My Clinches

webny99

... which brings up another question: How is Texas usually divided? I would have thought there was more of an east-west divide than a north-south one.

CoreySamson

Quote from: webny99 on October 28, 2021, 07:52:17 PM
... which brings up another question: How is Texas usually divided? I would have thought there was more of an east-west divide than a north-south one.
The most popular way to divide up Texas (used by the official Texas Highways magazine) is to divide it into 7 parts geographically:
https://travelguide.texashighways.com/quick-tour (scroll down a bit to see the map)

Big Bend Country (El Paso, Midland, Odessa)
Gulf Coast (Houston, Beaumont, Corpus Christi)
Hill Country (Austin, Fredericksburg)
Panhandle Plains (Amarillo, Lubbock, Wichita Falls)
Piney Woods (Lufkin, Tyler, Texarkana)
Prairies and Lakes (Dallas, Waco, College Station)
South Texas Plains (San Antonio, Laredo, RGV)

My Route Log
My Clinches

jgb191

I consider San Antonio and Austin, being "neighboring metros", in Central Texas.  To me San Antonio is too far north to be considered South Texas.

South Texas is Corpus Christi, Laredo, McAllen, Brownsville and anything south of Pearsall or Pleasanton.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

TXtoNJ

Quote from: webny99 on October 28, 2021, 07:52:17 PM

Most accurate one I've seen with names people actually use:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.