News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What are the longest highways you have clinched on Street View?

Started by KCRoadFan, November 07, 2021, 07:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Early this morning, I clinched US 20, the longest highway in the country, on Google Street View. In all, it took a little over a year for me to cover the length of the route, from Newport, Oregon all the way to Boston. Previously, I also clinched US 1, as well as the paths of Route 66 and the Lincoln Highway.

With that in mind, I figured I might ask my fellow road fans on the forum: what are the longest highways that you have clinched on Street View, and how long did it take to achieve the feat? I can't wait to find out more!

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Scott5114

The GSV interface is bad enough that I inevitably end up misclicking somewhere and ending up stuck somewhere I don't want to be, which kind of kills my momentum and makes me not want to find where I was again. It also takes long enough to advance between frames that it would be faster to just go see the real thing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

For some reason CA 96.  I think it might be the only one too.

Bruce

It's far easier to clinch with a tool like WSDOT's SRweb instead of trying in GSV.

JayhawkCO

I think I once did AK98.

Chris

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 08, 2021, 01:52:47 AM
The GSV interface is bad enough that I inevitably end up misclicking somewhere and ending up stuck somewhere I don't want to be, which kind of kills my momentum and makes me not want to find where I was again. It also takes long enough to advance between frames that it would be faster to just go see the real thing.

Agreed. I will only use it sporadically, because it's such a pain. What it needs is a "play" button that automatically advances at a user-selected speed. KYTC's photolog does that, but it's on a county-by-county basis, and concurrencies get skipped for the lower-priority road.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jlam

TBKS1

Me and a friend were in a call on Discord a few months ago, we decided to travel on Interstate 8 from the beginning to the end on GSV.

Longest one I've done myself is Arkansas Highway 7 (312 miles long incl. concurrencies), which took about four hours.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

CNGL-Leudimin

You took over a year to go coast to coast? I did that feat in just 13 days last year, starting in Coney Island, ending at the Santa Monica Pier.

I've done I-29 before, spread over 4 days. I ended that dull trip in Winnipeg. Now I think, I may finish I-94, as I've done Billings to the Dells and Milwaukee to Chicago.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CapeCodder

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 08, 2021, 06:20:18 PM
You took over a year to go coast to coast? I did that feat in just 13 days last year, starting in Coney Island, ending at the Santa Monica Pier.

I've done I-29 before, spread over 4 days. I ended that dull trip in Winnipeg. Now I think, I may finish I-94, as I've done Billings to the Dells and Milwaukee to Chicago.

Any particular reason you choose to torture yourself with the least scenic interstates in the U.S.?  :-D

Chris

US 89

There are far better things I can do with my time than click through hundreds of miles of road pictures on a computer.

So to answer the question... maybe Utah 93. And I've physically clinched that upwards of 100 times anyway

KCRoadFan

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 08, 2021, 06:20:18 PM
You took over a year to go coast to coast?

I did a little bit at a time, whenever I've found time - usually in the evenings, when I'm not doing anything else. I live a pretty busy life, so many days I haven't had much time to cover a lot of distance. It just depends on how the day unfolds.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 09, 2021, 09:51:11 AM
Any particular reason you choose to torture yourself with the least scenic interstates in the U.S.?  :-D

Chris

I chose I-29 exactly because of that :sombrero:. Most of I-94 was part of the first big trip I took through the USA during lockdown, and the other section was part of a shorter trip I did before returning to Europe and starting the cycling season. On the better side, I've done the entire route between Denver and Los Angeles, though not in a continuous trip.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 09, 2021, 02:09:06 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on November 09, 2021, 09:51:11 AM

Chris

I chose I-29 exactly because of that :sombrero:. Most of I-94 was part of the first big trip I took through the USA during lockdown, and the other section was part of a shorter trip I did before returning to Europe and starting the cycling season. On the better side, I've done the entire route between Denver and Los Angeles, though not in a continuous trip.

If you're that much of a masochist, you should try clinching the entirety of Illinois' state highways and try and find us all some non-flat parts.

Chris

Scott5114

Quote from: US 89 on November 09, 2021, 10:53:09 AM
There are far better things I can do with my time than click through hundreds of miles of road pictures on a computer.

And if I'm going to spend time like that, I'd like to do it with photos taken by an actual roadgeek that have some thought put into the composition of the photo. One of the worst things about GSV is that it's caused some of the newer members of the hobby to think that there's no value in taking their own photos, because GSV has photos of it already. GSV is nice in that there's coverage of pretty much everything, but you can't get a good view of an interesting sign the way you can when a photo is taken with the sign as the focus.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

RoadRebel

NC-400 in Manteo, NC. It serves the Roanoke Island Festival Park and passes through the historic waterfront town area. It's the shortest primary highway in NC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Highway_400
Keep right (not middle) except to pass!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 09, 2021, 04:00:33 PM
Quote from: US 89 on November 09, 2021, 10:53:09 AM

And if I'm going to spend time like that, I'd like to do it with photos taken by an actual roadgeek that have some thought put into the composition of the photo. One of the worst things about GSV is that it's caused some of the newer members of the hobby to think that there's no value in taking their own photos, because GSV has photos of it already. GSV is nice in that there's coverage of pretty much everything, but you can't get a good view of an interesting sign the way you can when a photo is taken with the sign as the focus.

I've found there is a substantial difference between looking at a Google Maps image and seeing something in person.  The actual field of view is all off on Street View and definitely does not portray scenic roads for what they are.  I like to use Google maps to try to spot items or interest but Street View is far from 100% reliable.  I had a debate with someone in the hobby about the merits of photographing a route, notable signage was the other argue I used to suggest it had merit.  Also, Google Maps doesn't have a lot of interesting roads in Street View even after all these years.  The Google Drivers are hugely adverse to anything with a single lane or lacking pavement.

formulanone

GSV is great for finding things in advance; it's been almost indispensable for finding the actual location of landmarks, signage, businesses, et cetera. It's really helpful in settling any confusion where something may be located and its accessibility. But touring through long roads monotonously? I don't get it...if you're going to use your time "driving", there's hundreds of scenic routes which should spark a measure of inspiration.

I'm incredibly lucky; I can travel to places and photograph most of them to my heart's content, with very little expense on my behalf. So I'm admittedly biased on that opinion.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: formulanone on November 10, 2021, 10:36:43 AM
GSV is great for finding things in advance; it's been almost indispensable for finding the actual location of landmarks, signage, businesses, et cetera. It's really helpful in settling any confusion where something may be located and its accessibility. But touring through long roads monotonously? I don't get it...if you're going to use your time "driving", there's hundreds of scenic routes which should spark a measure of inspiration.

I get it if you want to drive a route that you don't have the time nor money to get to.  As I posted upthread, I think the only route I've driven the whole thing is AK98, which is a very short, but scenic route, but very far away.  At this point, I've driven damn near everywhere in Colorado, so I have to go farther afield to go to new places.  Not everyone has the financial or temporal flexibility to take a road trip for the sake of road tripping.  We have a lot of younger members here that I assume that is the case.  I know prior to me being in the working world, I couldn't afford to just pick up and drive to California on a whim.  While I still couldn't possibly imagine trying to "clinch" a road on GSV, I at least understand why someone might be so inclined.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.