News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2022 Philadelphia, PA National Road Meet (August 20-21, 2022)

Started by roadwaywiz95, November 08, 2021, 02:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on February 17, 2022, 07:50:54 AM
Quote from: signalman on February 17, 2022, 07:41:04 AM
Quote from: elsmere241 on February 16, 2022, 11:51:54 PM
One to think about, since I'm in Wilmington now and my father and stepmother live in Philadelphia so I could spend a night with them in a pinch.  (There's no good place to park there, though.)  The 20th is my wife's and my 18th anniversary, though.
If one chooses to attend, attendance at both days is not required.
I like the idea of mandated and required attendance at meet-ups.

Like jury summons, but for a road meet? :D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

One to think about, since I'm in Wilmington now and my father and stepmother live in Philadelphia so I could spend a night with them in a pinch.  (There's no good place to park there, though.)  The 20th is my wife's and my 18th anniversary, though.

With a dress code.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 22, 2022, 04:44:07 PM

With a dress code.

Codes on all dresses?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Scott5114

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 23, 2022, 08:33:57 PM

With a dress code.

Codes on all dresses?

Are markup languages OK or do they have to be procedural?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 27, 2022, 11:29:51 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 23, 2022, 08:33:57 PM

With a dress code.

Codes on all dresses?

Are markup languages OK or do they have to be procedural?
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it must be a duck!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

roadwaywiz95

Hi folks! I wanted to chime in here with a quick update now that we're emerging from Winter around here.

This past weekend, I took advantage of the good weather and did a good amount of scouting for this event. A lot is now coming into focus, including potential Meet Photo locations, Lunch locations for both days, and some of the landmarks I hope to incorporate into the official Meet & Pre-Meet tours. I expect to do a couple more rounds of scouting between now and Memorial Day — those future rounds should enable me to start finalizing things for Meet weekend.

On or around May 1, the main Facebook event page will be "split"  into separate "Day 1"  and "Day 2"  event pages. This will be a good way to approximate the number of attendees per day and allow each day to become more distinct as far as the overall discussion of the weekend is concerned.
To view the original (and still current) Facebook page for this event, follow the link as follows:
https://www.facebook.com/events/408997050713396/?acontext=%7B%22event_action_history%22%3A[%7B%22mechanism%22%3A%22calendar_tab_event%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22bookmark_calendar%22%7D]%2C%22ref_notif_type%22%3Anull%7D

Finally, with the resolution of the MLB Lockout and the resumption of the planned baseball season, the Day 1 Post-Meet event involving the Phillies/Mets ballgame is no longer in any sort of jeopardy. One small development is that this particular game has been flexed to the FOX Saturday Night time slot, with the game now set to start at 7:15 ET, instead of the 6:05 ET original start time. This is a positive development for us, b/c it enables the day's driving tour to last a little longer than originally thought, and/or it would provide folks with more time to reach the ballpark prior to the start of the game.

More announcements/news still to come. Questions/comments/concerns welcome in the meantime.
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

A.J. Bertin

My time off from work has been approved... so at this point, I am planning on attending.  I'll only attend the first day of the meet.  I'm looking forward to exploring Philadelphia for the first time.
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 29, 2022, 05:24:36 PM
My time off from work has been approved... so at this point, I am planning on attending.  I'll only attend the first day of the meet.  I'm looking forward to exploring Philadelphia for the first time.
Gotta hope that the circle *cough* square at Market and Broad is not closed.

Also watch out for those cars in the median.  They won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 29, 2022, 07:53:16 PM

Is it supposed to be closed?

Also watch out for those cars in the median.  They won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Can you please explain?
-A.J. from Michigan

jeffandnicole

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 29, 2022, 08:16:27 PM

Is it supposed to be closed?

Can you please explain?

I've never seen the area around City Hall closed unless there's a parade in that area.

Cars in the median:  The center median is commonly used for parking.  The only time they absolutely restrict it is when there's said parade, snow, or a very special event (ie: Pope is in town).  https://goo.gl/maps/6TTJgeruicWAJ2cq7

SSOWorld

Yea it's rare that the square is closed.  I just happened upon said closure on the 2nd of January.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alex on November 17, 2021, 10:20:25 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 17, 2021, 12:50:00 PM
I still need to keep an eye on whenever the US 13 realignment is signed in Chester. Of course, the last time I saw any footage in that area was when you Live Drive to Maryland in August followed PA 291.

I drove it at the end of August and nothing had changed yet. Will be interested in when it finally does.
Update regarding the above: There are now dual US 13/PA 291 reassurance markers through Chester along 2nd St. & 4th St.; at least from the Commodore Barry Bridge (US 322) interchange to the Morton Ave. intersection.  No changes to any of the major signs (BGS') as of yet.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

74/171FAN

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 01, 2022, 10:03:36 PM
Quote from: Alex on November 17, 2021, 10:20:25 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 17, 2021, 12:50:00 PM
I still need to keep an eye on whenever the US 13 realignment is signed in Chester. Of course, the last time I saw any footage in that area was when you Live Drive to Maryland in August followed PA 291.

I drove it at the end of August and nothing had changed yet. Will be interested in when it finally does.
Update regarding the above: There are now dual US 13/PA 291 reassurance markers through Chester along 2nd St. & 4th St.; at least from the Commodore Barry Bridge (US 322) interchange to the Morton Ave. intersection.  No changes to any of the major signs (BGS') as of yet.

That happened about two months ago.  I did not think to post it here.  I doubt that the DRPA has any incentive to update the BGSs honestly.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

I am going to this event, the all the vacation paperwork is signed and I have my airline tickets.

Alps

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2022, 03:39:13 PM
I am going to this event, the all the vacation paperwork is signed and I have my airline tickets.
Time to meet you.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

andrepoiy

Oh Philly. 8 hours away! Seems close enough, although it seems like based on the people who have posted here, I'm an outlier in age. In addition, I don't even know if hotels allow 18-year-olds? But seems interesting

jeffandnicole

Quote from: andrepoiy on April 14, 2022, 11:20:23 PM
Oh Philly. 8 hours away! Seems close enough, although it seems like based on the people who have posted here, I'm an outlier in age. In addition, I don't even know if hotels allow 18-year-olds? But seems interesting

For the most part, many hotels don't check ID if you're a member of their rewards program.  But outside of that, just call and confirm they permit 18 year olds to make a reservation.

Alps

Quote from: andrepoiy on April 14, 2022, 11:20:23 PM
Have almost never had that issue. Rental cars will check for age sometimes but hotels never have in my experience

Max Rockatansky

Is that even a thing with hotels?  Nobody ever seemed to care other than I had money when I was checking into hotels when I was 18.

A.J. Bertin

I do believe at least some hotels require you to be at least 21 to make a reservation, but like someone else said, you might need to call the hotel in advance to ask if 18-year-olds can reserve a room there.

As far as the road meet itself is concerned, yes... you are younger than most attendees, but you'd still be welcome to attend.
-A.J. from Michigan

okroads

I had an experience in 2002 where a hotel in Durant, OK, didn't accept my reservation because I was under 21. Ended up having to drive south to Sherman, TX, to get a room.

Advice from someone who has since worked in hotels for 17 years: I would advise calling ahead to check. Some hotels are stricter about the age limit than others.

Max Rockatansky

That seems incredibly odd to me.  Why would it possibly matter if you were 18 or 21 so long as your money is good?  It's not like you are going to drink the room or something.  I would probably say there is much difference in risk between lodging an 18 year old versus someone who is 21.

hbelkins

18-year-olds can go to work, go to college, be in the military, get married and go on honeymoons, and all sorts of other things that adults can do. It makes no sense to me that they would not be allowed to get a hotel room if they were traveling.

Now, I can understand if they're a local looking for a place to party or entertain a sexual partner -- and indeed, one place where I stayed in Elizabeth City, NC, many years ago would not rent to residents of that or some nearby counties -- but if you're from Ohio and you're driving through Georgia, you should be able to rent a room for the night and not be expected to sleep in your car in a Walmart parking lot.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

andrepoiy

Haha yeah

I am also somewhat concerned that due to my age, that I might not exactly have common dialogue with other participants?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.