2022 Philadelphia, PA National Road Meet (August 20-21, 2022)

Started by roadwaywiz95, November 08, 2021, 02:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on August 14, 2022, 08:12:26 PM
A few words about parking/carpooling/etc: to make things easy, folks who plan on driving during each day of the weekend should leave their cars at each restaurant location; those who are planning on carpooling should leave cars at adjacent parking lots nearby. There is ample parking on both days for folks looking to leave cars. For those this applies to, on Saturday please look for parking in the area of Ikea/Lowes near Miller's; on Sunday, please look for parking in the Whitman Plaza (Shop Rite/Burlington) on Oregon Avenue. Sorting out the car situation off the bat will save us a decent amount of time each day and I appreciate everyone's forthcoming cooperation with this.
just a suggestion: it might be helpful to know what the approximate head-count is for both days in advance; so there's an idea how many vehicles are needed at a minimum.

I've already spoken with a few of you about this but I'll address the group as a whole in case I miss anybody. If you're attending the Phillies game on Saturday, please make sure you have a way of getting in the ballpark - this can be accomplished by utilizing the MLB Ballpark app on your phone or by tagging along with me at the gate when we arrive. I'm going to start distributing tickets this week to those who have reserved a spot, so be on the lookout for that. (We actually still have two tickets that are unclaimed at this time, so I can accommodate a couple last-minute additions to the ballgame roster if you're out there...)
It might be a good idea to get a head-count of who's going in advance as well to determine the needed vehicle count.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

tckma

Looks like I'll be able to take up to 3 people, both days, if I am needed to drive.

PHLBOS

I can take up to 3 people as well on Saturday. 

One or two on Sunday; I will likely be using my Mustang convertible if the weather's decent.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadwaywiz95

FINAL UPDATE:

A few final notes and other things as we approach the weekend.

There have been questions about the number of people attending each day of the weekend for the purposes of estimating the number of drivers needed. Based on my best information, I think we'll need around 12-13 drivers for Saturday, provided that we do our best to adhere to the advice I posted above previously. Sunday will need a few less than that. That's the best information I can give you, b/c the RSVP situation has not been as fluid and perfect as I would have liked it to be. I have a good idea of who's probably going, but that's about it. I *will* say that we have 19 people confirmed for the Phillies game, so do what you must with that information. I expect a mix of people carpooling and taking transit to the ballpark from the end of the Meet, but I don't have a count of who's doing what in that regard.

I did complete a quick write-up of an alternative itinerary for Leg 1 on Saturday, but I've changed my mind and decided not to post it here. It's not clear if it will even be needed at all and I'd like to avoid confusing people between the different versions that would be out there. If I need to hand out a supplemental document to you folks at lunch on Saturday, then I will do so — I will have enough for everyone who needs one.

The pre-meet events will start promptly at the times listed on each event, so please do your best to arrive punctually if you plan on joining us for either of those. If you happen to arrive late on Saturday morning, you'll be able to find us somewhere on the Center City side of the Schuylkill Banks Trail; if you happen to arrive late on Sunday morning, you'll be able to find us somewhere on the Manayunk Bridge itself.

I will have goodies to give away at lunch on both days, including (but not limited to) New York State Thruway toll tickets (a collector's item these days), "˜roadwaywiz' business cards, and a couple different window/bumper sticker designs for you avid drivers. Maps and other collectibles are welcome as well!

Looking forward to seeing folks tomorrow evening to kick off the weekend, and I look forward to seeing you all over the course of the weekend itself!
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on August 18, 2022, 08:27:45 PMI *will* say that we have 19 people confirmed for the Phillies game, so do what you must with that information. I expect a mix of people carpooling and taking transit to the ballpark from the end of the Meet, but I don't have a count of who's doing what in that regard.
Heads up.  The only direct transit routes from Ikea/Miller's Ale House are SEPTA bus routes.  Travel timing, including walking is 20-35 minutes depending on which bus route one takes.

OTHO, driving is only a 4-8 minute venture; but one has to pay for parking.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

tckma

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on August 18, 2022, 08:27:45 PM
If you happen to arrive late on Sunday morning, you'll be able to find us somewhere on the Manayunk Bridge itself.

Parking in the neighborhood of the Manayunk Bridge is a challenge at best, and impossible at worst.  Here are several options which may or may not be available:

* There is a free lot on the Manayunk side of the bridge at the intersection of High St and DuPont St.  It is usually full, which is to say, I live in the neighborhood and have NEVER seen an available space there at any time on any day.
* On-Street parking on DuPont St, High Street (VERY narrow street), or Krams Ave.  Baker St, Smick St, and IIRC St. David's St. and Ritchie St. are resident only parking with varying 1-2 hour limits, so unless you have a Zone 15 resident pass you may get ticketed by the PPA.  Ticket for exceeding the time limit without a resident sticker is $26 (I know, I've gotten one before I had a resident sticker and my car still had Maryland plates) with I think a $3.50 fee added if you pay the ticket online. 
* Mallory Street is VERY narrow and people park (illegally) on the sidewalk.  It is not marked as a one-way street but it's narrow enough to effectively be one-way between Wilde and Baker, especially with the way people park!
* There is a large pay lot on Green Lane between Main St and Cresson St.  The QR code to pay online doesn't work well, and they no longer have cash payment options or an attendant, so that will be a pain.  I believe the rate will be $6 for the 2 hours of the pre-meet.
* Street parking on Green Lane or Leverington Ave is just ASKING for your mirrors to be knocked off or worse.  People complain in the neighborhood Facebook group about hit and runs on an almost daily basis, and I've seen many a damaged car parked on these roads.
* Street parking on Main Street south of Green Lane is metered, and there are a few pay lots accessible from Main St.
* You may want to risk parking in the parking lot for the Mount Zion Fire Baptized Holiness Church.  I don't know what time they hold services on Sunday but I believe it is 10 AM.
* You may want to risk parking in the lot for St. David's Episcopal Church, but they have Sunday services at 9AM.
* On-street parking on Main St between Green Lane and Leverington Ave.
* My driveway can host one or possibly two additional cars for the duration of the pre-meet and I'm sure my landlord will be fine with that if he even notices.  I'm leaving my car in my driveway for the Sunday pre-meet because I can walk there from my house.  PM me here or on Facebook.
* On the other side of the bridge, there is designated free parking for the Cynwyd Heritage Trail on the Belmont Ave side of the parking lot of the CVS on Rock Hill Road in Bala Cynwyd.  These spots are painted green with the Cynwyd Heritage Trail logo.  Disadvantage, you need to walk the entire trail and then over the Manayunk Bridge, when I believe we're going to walk it again in the opposite direction. :D

jeffandnicole

I should mention for the Phillies game Saturday night - they are cashless.  Parking is $22 this year.  Credit Card or other electronic payment method (Fitbit, Apple/Google Pay, etc) only.

Lot P (on the 1st base side along Pattison between Darien & 7th) is for Preferred Passes only (so not us); any other lot in the stadium complex (Citizens Bank Park, Lincoln Financial Field, Wells Fargo Center) is available to use. 

There is a cheaper lot if you continue down Darien, behind the Jetco Center next to the Linc; I've never used it though to vouch for it, and I forget the actual cost.

After you're inside, concession stands are cashless as well.  If you only have cash, there are a few machines inside to exchange cash for a debit card. 

roadwaywiz95

FINAL FINAL UPDATE:

A friendly reminder of the start times for the weekend's events:

The pre-meet on Saturday begins at 9 AM ET.
The lunch on Saturday begins at 11 AM ET.
The pre-meet on Sunday begins at 8 AM ET.
The lunch on Sunday begins at 10 AM ET.
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

roadwaywiz95

DAY 1 UPDATE:

If you are arriving late for lunch, please come inside and join us!

vdeane

on Sunday, please look for parking in the Whitman Plaza (Shop Rite/Burlington) on Oregon Avenue.
I was just checking out the area in street view and I noticed numerous signs saying that parking in that plaza is for customers only; that other sign on that post even says that illegally parked cars will be towed.  Are you sure we're supposed to park there?

Unless I hear otherwise, I think I'm instead going to aim to park over here.  That seems to be most out of the way area in the parking lot for the cluster of businesses the restaurant is in.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

signalman

Quote from: vdeane on August 20, 2022, 11:00:00 PM
on Sunday, please look for parking in the Whitman Plaza (Shop Rite/Burlington) on Oregon Avenue.
I was just checking out the area in street view and I noticed numerous signs saying that parking in that plaza is for customers only; that other sign on that post even says that illegally parked cars will be towed.  Are you sure we're supposed to park there?

Unless I hear otherwise, I think I'm instead going to aim to park over here.  That seems to be most out of the way area in the parking lot for the cluster of businesses the restaurant is in.
I would imagine that the whole towing thing is more aimed at those who leave a vehicle parked there overnight or more than 24 hours. We'll be leaving vehicles there midday and it's absolutely plausible that the drivers of those vehicles are patronizing the businesses. I wouldn't worry about it.

Alps

Quote from: tckma on August 19, 2022, 10:00:23 AM
Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on August 18, 2022, 08:27:45 PM
If you happen to arrive late on Sunday morning, you'll be able to find us somewhere on the Manayunk Bridge itself.

Parking in the neighborhood of the Manayunk Bridge is a challenge at best, and impossible at worst.  Here are several options which may or may not be available:

* There is a free lot on the Manayunk side of the bridge at the intersection of High St and DuPont St.  It is usually full, which is to say, I live in the neighborhood and have NEVER seen an available space there at any time on any day.
* On-Street parking on DuPont St, High Street (VERY narrow street), or Krams Ave.  Baker St, Smick St, and IIRC St. David's St. and Ritchie St. are resident only parking with varying 1-2 hour limits, so unless you have a Zone 15 resident pass you may get ticketed by the PPA.  Ticket for exceeding the time limit without a resident sticker is $26 (I know, I've gotten one before I had a resident sticker and my car still had Maryland plates) with I think a $3.50 fee added if you pay the ticket online. 
* Mallory Street is VERY narrow and people park (illegally) on the sidewalk.  It is not marked as a one-way street but it's narrow enough to effectively be one-way between Wilde and Baker, especially with the way people park!
* There is a large pay lot on Green Lane between Main St and Cresson St.  The QR code to pay online doesn't work well, and they no longer have cash payment options or an attendant, so that will be a pain.  I believe the rate will be $6 for the 2 hours of the pre-meet.
* Street parking on Green Lane or Leverington Ave is just ASKING for your mirrors to be knocked off or worse.  People complain in the neighborhood Facebook group about hit and runs on an almost daily basis, and I've seen many a damaged car parked on these roads.
* Street parking on Main Street south of Green Lane is metered, and there are a few pay lots accessible from Main St.
* You may want to risk parking in the parking lot for the Mount Zion Fire Baptized Holiness Church.  I don't know what time they hold services on Sunday but I believe it is 10 AM.
* You may want to risk parking in the lot for St. David's Episcopal Church, but they have Sunday services at 9AM.
* On-street parking on Main St between Green Lane and Leverington Ave.
* My driveway can host one or possibly two additional cars for the duration of the pre-meet and I'm sure my landlord will be fine with that if he even notices.  I'm leaving my car in my driveway for the Sunday pre-meet because I can walk there from my house.  PM me here or on Facebook.
* On the other side of the bridge, there is designated free parking for the Cynwyd Heritage Trail on the Belmont Ave side of the parking lot of the CVS on Rock Hill Road in Bala Cynwyd.  These spots are painted green with the Cynwyd Heritage Trail logo.  Disadvantage, you need to walk the entire trail and then over the Manayunk Bridge, when I believe we're going to walk it again in the opposite direction. :D
Too late now, but I would have noted you don't need more than an hour at Manayunk, so any of the nearby side street parking is just fine.

tckma

Quote from: Alps on August 21, 2022, 11:59:23 AM
Too late now, but I would have noted you don't need more than an hour at Manayunk, so any of the nearby side street parking is just fine.

This was the first roadmeet I attended since Golden Spike, and only my third overall.  The Corridor H meet had a pre-meet event as well, but I didn't remember how long that one took.  Yes, I went back home after the pre-meet event on Sunday, packed a cooler with some drinks, and fixed my toilet that was constantly running... and I still made it to the Oregon Diner a bit early.

tckma

What we at my job call a Retrospective or Lessons Learned meeting:

Overall, this was a great meet.

As a driver, I had hoped I would have some others in my car to help read the itinerary to me.  On the first day, I had some trouble following the directions/navigation because I ended up driving alone.  I had read the meet itinerary before the meet, though not in a lot of detail, and I had a basic idea... but once on the road it was hard to sift through a wall of text to get the directions (which were interspersed with narrative).  Perhaps add a section at the top of each leg that has the driving directions ONLY, and then the narrative text.  This was made worse leaving Miller's Ale House when I lost the car I was following the instant they left the parking lot AND then I made a wrong turn on Columbus Blvd right away.

I made the second day a little bit easier by first pulling the directions out of the narrative text and putting them in a note on my phone -- also, for most legs I was following someone and didn't lose them this time.

We had a LOT of cars there and I get no one wanting to ride with me -- I've been to a grand total of three roadmeets ever, averaging one every two years at this point.  Basically only a few people know me by sight, and I didn't know a lot of people there -- even some of those whom I'd seen before.  People don't know me from a random Internet stranger / serial killer.

Duke87

Quote from: tckma on August 22, 2022, 09:40:45 AM
We had a LOT of cars there and I get no one wanting to ride with me -- I've been to a grand total of three roadmeets ever, averaging one every two years at this point.  Basically only a few people know me by sight, and I didn't know a lot of people there -- even some of those whom I'd seen before.  People don't know me from a random Internet stranger / serial killer.

Wouldn't read too much into it. I've been in the position before of volunteering to drive but having no takers, typically this simply means more people have volunteered to drive than actually necessary and so statistically someone will end up being the old maid. I've responded to this situation by saying "okay, guess I don't need to drive then" and hopping in with someone who has a spare seat. Of which there were multiple both days this past weekend.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on August 22, 2022, 07:50:56 PM
I've responded to this situation by saying "okay, guess I don't need to drive then" and hopping in with someone who has a spare seat. Of which there were multiple both days this past weekend.
Indeed, we even had someone join our car mid-tour Saturday!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadwaywiz95

Thank you all so much to everyone for coming out to Philadelphia this past weekend and taking part in what proved to be a GREAT weekend all around. Other than a couple raindrops after the last stop on Sunday, we had perfect weather all around. Other than a couple hiccups here & there, the Traffic Gods did not screw us. All of the events scheduled across the weekend went off without any significant issues. Our turnout this weekend demonstrated that large-scale, "National"  meets are still possible and that there is still a lot of interest in these kinds of events across the community. A total of 36 people passed through over the weekend, ranging in points of origin from New Jersey to Wisconsin and from New Hampshire to California, making this among the single largest, most diverse events we've ever had as a community. And it was my honor and privilege to assemble and host this thing for all of you.

I'd like to take a moment to single out and thank the following folks for their generosity and contributions over the past few months that helped make this weekend a huge success:
Jeff T. ("jeffandnicole" ) for volunteering and hosting his house for the Friday night pool party, which was a perfect way to kick off the weekend.
Chris C. ("PHLBOS" ) for providing supplemental documentation for Day 2 of the meet tour and aerial photos featuring the area around Philadelphia International Airport.
Laura B.-P. ("Laura" ) for assisting in the scouting process over the past several months and for serving as a willing volunteer to discuss potential location/restaurant options with.

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who came to Philly and made this such a spectacular event all the way around. While I don't expect this kind of "National"  format to become an annual thing, I do think it's a format that works in the right locations at the right times of year and I hope to see more of these as the years go on. I hope you all had safe travels back to your points of origin and I look forward to seeing you all again soon. Until next time, take care, happy road-tripping, and God bless!

tckma

Quote from: Duke87 on August 22, 2022, 07:50:56 PM
I've responded to this situation by saying "okay, guess I don't need to drive then" and hopping in with someone who has a spare seat. Of which there were multiple both days this past weekend.

In hindsight, this is what I SHOULD have done, especially seeing as there were A LOT of drivers.  The former ferry terminal at the end of NJ-324 was somewhat of a challenge with all the cars that ended up there.  I nearly backed into someone I thought was well on their way out.  That would have been fun for insurance.  "Uh yeah, we were both on a road that's officially closed to traffic."

Roadgeek Adam

"officially" leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to 324.  I don't think that road has seen many cars in 48 years.

I did navigate by myself and drive on Saturday, which ended up working out because I had to run to AutoZone leaving Miller's because my check engine light had turned on. I do prefer having people in the car, like I did on Sunday, but on Saturday, it ended up working out on me being alone. The reason I like to drive now is because I was a passenger for so long, a freeloading one at that, and wanted to make up for it.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadwaywiz95

As folks continue to create photo albums on Facebook and post their own photos all over social media related to this past weekend's events, a parallel effort is underway over on Flickr that will enable folks who are unable to see Facebook posts the opportunity to see the photographic evidence for themselves. The following album being compiled by Tom F. ("Max Rockatansky") is available for viewing by all at the link below. It will be added to in the coming days and will serve as a solid representation of the weekend's events as a whole. Probably a link worth bookmarking for the time being as new content is uploaded!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/sets/72177720301523300/

Max Rockatansky

Update on the Flickr album, I uploaded all the photos that were on the Facebook page tonight.  As of my writing of this post I'm presently 48 image descriptions in.  I'll be copying the tags from the Facebook album, but I anticipate I probably won't be through all of them until the weekend is out on the current photo stock.  Either way, there about 220 additional photos available since Dan posted the initial Flickr album link.

froggie

Was Constitution Ave in the Naval Yard part of the tour route?  If so, you passed by 2 ships I did deployments on.

74/171FAN

Quote from: froggie on August 26, 2022, 12:02:04 AM
Was Constitution Ave in the Naval Yard part of the tour route?  If so, you passed by 2 ships I did deployments on.

Indirectly I guess.  We crossed the 26th St Bridge by foot (closed to traffic at the time) so maybe we saw them anyway.

And Tom, I just sent you a friend request so you can use some of my photos if you wish.  (though not all of them in my album are meet photos specifically)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/52311829759/in/album-72177720301523300/

Yeah, in regard to this photo, I never expected DRPA to sign US 13 BUS (at least not this quickly).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 26, 2022, 06:56:03 AM
Quote from: froggie on August 26, 2022, 12:02:04 AM

Indirectly I guess.  We crossed the 26th St Bridge by foot (closed to traffic at the time) so maybe we saw them anyway.

And Tom, I just sent you a friend request so you can use some of my photos if you wish.  (though not all of them in my album are meet photos specifically)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/52311829759/in/album-72177720301523300/

Yeah, in regard to this photo, I never expected DRPA to sign US 13 BUS (at least not this quickly).

There is a couple other photos from pre-meet, when I got lost during the meet and post-meet driving photos that I tossed in there already.  My thought is that if we as a group traveled to Philadelphia for the meet and got something extra it was worth including if road relevant.  I'll look through tonight (saw the friend request) and make some ads. 

Max Rockatansky

At some point we will hit on everything in the meet on Gribblenation.  I started tonight with the Commodore Barry Bridge and Chester-Bridgeport Ferry:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/08/commodore-barry-bridge-us-route-322.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.