News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What is your state's most famous rout?

Started by JayhawkCO, November 08, 2021, 02:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on November 05, 2021, 08:59:01 PM
What is your states (sic) most famous rout?

I'd say Kansas' 150-95 victory over Kentucky in Rick Pitino's first year at UK would qualify for both states involved

I'd add in the 2007 Kansas-Nebraska football game where we beat the Huskers 76-39.  We had only beaten them once in the previous 38 meetings prior.

Chris

thspfc

TheHighwayMan3561

Giants 41, Vikings 0 in 2000
Nebraska 84, Minnesota 13 in 1983
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Big John

jlam

Not in Colorado, but my favorite NCAA team, Arizona, lost to Arizona State 70-7 in December of 2020.

jlam

What was the most embarrassing shutout (on either side) for a sports team in your state?

Inspired by hbelkins in "Changing one letter of a thread title."

Edit: Should this be in the Sports sub-topic?

jeffandnicole

Does it have to be a shutout? 106-7 is just as bad.

Max Rockatansky

Whatever that 106-0 nothing beating some high school team in California put on another team is getting is a lot news locally. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/california-high-school-football-106-0-ucla-commit

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2021, 06:05:08 PM
Whatever that 106-0 nothing beating some high school team in California put on another team is getting is a lot news locally. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/california-high-school-football-106-0-ucla-commit
Ah, the typical outrage over sports teams playing sports. The only problem with running up the score is that you're probably risking injury to key players. If you can't handle losing, sometimes by a lot, then don't play.

NWI_Irish96

For Indiana it would be Notre Dame's 35-13 upset of Army in 1913.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on November 08, 2021, 06:12:38 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2021, 06:05:08 PM

Ah, the typical outrage over sports teams playing sports. The only problem with running up the score is that you're probably risking injury to key players. If you can't handle losing, sometimes by a lot, then don't play.

I mean, the other team can try to stop it or try to field a competive team.

JayhawkCO

Or you can try to raise kids who have compassion...

Chris

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 08, 2021, 06:37:29 PM

Chris

I haven't read deeply into the story but it sounds like a charter school or something playing some other team that shouldn't even be in their league.  Orchard Lake Saint Mary's was infamous for putting similar beatings on their competitors in Metro Detroit. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2021, 06:38:51 PM

Chris

I haven't read deeply into the story but it sounds like a charter school or something playing some other team that shouldn't even be in their league.

Exactly.  If you want to teach kids that competition isn't everything and that you should actually look out for other humans who may or may not be anything like you, that teaching needs to come from the adults.  I'm super competitive when I play games.  I was super competitive when I played sports.  I never wanted my opponents to feel humiliated, merely that they didn't win this time.  Disappointment will happen.  Humiliation for amateur kids shouldn't.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 08, 2021, 06:44:33 PM

Chris

I haven't read deeply into the story but it sounds like a charter school or something playing some other team that shouldn't even be in their league.

Exactly.  If you want to teach kids that competition isn't everything and that you should actually look out for other humans who may or may not be anything like you, that teaching needs to come from the adults.  I'm super competitive when I play games.  I was super competitive when I played sports.  I never wanted my opponents to feel humiliated, merely that they didn't win this time.  Disappointment will happen.  Humiliation for amateur kids shouldn't.

Chris

Really I would toss that back more at the adults setting up who plays who versus the competitors on the field.  The people pulling the strings ought to be the ones not allowing such an uncompetitive match up to begin with.  I'm to understand that the QB for the winning team is a highly touted college recruit.  Athletes of that caliber usually are pretty ruthless unless restrained or put in front of proper competition. 

ran4sh

Probably 222-0, which was achieved by Georgia Tech football against a school that wasn't fielding a real football team.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2021, 06:47:28 PM

Chris

Chris

Really I would toss that back more at the adults setting up who plays who versus the competitors on the field.  The people pulling the strings ought to be the ones not allowing such an uncompetitive match up to begin with.  I'm to understand that the QB for the winning team is a highly touted college recruit.  Athletes of that caliber usually are pretty ruthless unless restrained or put in front of proper competition.

Yeah.  And bluntly, fuck all of those people who were in charge.  You can think something is good on paper but if you can't figure out what went wrong in real time, you shouldn't be in charge of those decisions.

Chris

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2021, 06:47:28 PM

Chris

Chris

Well these two schools are presumably in the same conference, as they're both Inglewood high schools. So they have to play each other every year. Maybe that matchup has been competitive in past years, and Inglewood is uncharacteristically great this year while Morningside is uncharacteristically bad.

SectorZ

Every week by whatever UMass decides to lose by...

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ilpt4u

jmd41280

Quote from: jlam on November 08, 2021, 05:47:08 PM
What was the most embarrassing shutout (on either side) for a sports team in your state?

Inspired by hbelkins in "Changing one letter of a thread title."

Edit: Should this be in the Sports sub-topic?

The Steelers' 1989 season opener, where they lost to the Browns (at home) 51-0.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

jp the roadgeek

Favorable: Whalers 11 Oilers 0, 2/12/84.  The Oilers didn't have Gretzky or Kurri that day. 4 goals for Ron Francis.  Oilers would go on to win their first Cup that year.

Unfavorable (for now): Duke 101 UConn 54.  1964 Elite 8.  Ask me again Sunday after the UConn-Clemson football game  :) 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheHighwayMan3561

I posted mine for Minnesota in the other thread already.

Texas's might be the only one to actually have "rout" in the name, a 66-3 UT loss to UCLA in 1997 that became known as "Rout 66" in college football annals.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Alps

Possibly the Jets over Colts in 2002, 41-0 while I was at my friend's wedding. That's the only one that comes to mind in any sport in my memory.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.